Stranger Things (no spoilers)

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Re: Stranger Things

finished it last night and I continue to be impressed with the Quality on Netflix Originals.

Overall fantastic series and I am extremely impressed with the kid actors they found.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

finished it last night and I continue to be impressed with the Quality on Netflix Originals.

Overall fantastic series and I am extremely impressed with the kid actors they found.
We finished last night as well. Spectacular production values across the board, very impressive series.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Aaaaaaand...

we started re-watching the series again tonight. I don't think I've ever done that immediately after finishing.

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007

Aaaaaaand...

we started re-watching the series again tonight. I don't think I've ever done that immediately after finishing.
I've been itching to do it but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Been trying to turn my parents/friends into pod people as well before I restart it.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

Aaaaaaand...

we are restarting it next week with the kids when we can get back to Atlanta and watch it on the theater screen

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007

I just finished watching this last night and that was another well done series by Netflix. Network TV could use some time watching how they are doing their series so maybe broadcast TV can get better.
Network tv's biggest issue to me is just how they make things in general. A lot of times I refuse to get invested in a show until it has run 3 or 4 seasons because I don't want to be bummed out when they decide it isn't doing well enough and cut it short without any resolution to the story (and even worse when they cancel it without even airing/making all the episodes). But that also adds to the vicious cycle of them cancelling shows sooner but they're the ones that started that trend.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La

Network tv's biggest issue to me is just how they make things in general. A lot of times I refuse to get invested in a show until it has run 3 or 4 seasons because I don't want to be bummed out when they decide it isn't doing well enough and cut it short without any resolution to the story (and even worse when they cancel it without even airing/making all the episodes). But that also adds to the vicious cycle of them cancelling shows sooner but they're the ones that started that trend.
Plus -- I'll be honest, we love binge watching. We'll get a new show and watch one or two every time we get a chance....we literally watch zero network series anymore except for Walking Dead.

This is how I watched Gotham, The Flash, Daredevil, HIMYM, Stranger Things, American Genius (BTW if you haven't watched this series, do it, it's great)....I love it.....

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I just finished watching this last night and that was another well done series by Netflix. Network TV could use some time watching how they are doing their series so maybe broadcast TV can get better.
Network TV faces three BIG issues when squaring off against Netflix, Amazon, etc:
1- Network TV's budget is vanishingly small compared to what Netflix spent on Stranger Things - the biggest scripted shows on TV cost a few million per 'hour long' episode while Netflix spent approximately $12.5 million per episode of Stranger Things.
2- Network TV has ads, which break the flow of the show, and also cut into length. Each hour-long episode of Stranger Things is actually about 1.5x the runtime of your typical 'hour-long' network show.
3- Netflix is like HBO in that they don't have to consider the FCC broadcast rules.

Network TV is the dinosaur now and soon enough will be extinct. In fact, I don;t know a single person under 18 years of age that actually watches any shows on TV - they've literally grown up in an on-demand world and waiting until their favorite show comes on again in a week (or a few months) is alien to them. they're (generally speaking) uninterested.

With no inherent restrictions except budget, companies like Netflix, Amazon, etc are there production companies of the future. HBO really threw down the gauntlet with Band Of Brothers - they set the standard. And since Netflix, Amazon, etc don't rely on advertising, the immersion is much greater.

The networks are simply grabbing hold of whatever bits of vine they can while they are sucked down by the quicksand. It's just a matter of time until they are swallowed up at this point...

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
Based on this thread, my wife and I decided to watch the first episode last night. We ended up watching the first three episodes. Great show so far!

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs

my wife and i both thought (with the exception of winona ryder's hair) that the entire production really brought across the feel of 83-84. although, there have been a couple of songs played that didn't come out until 1985 or so. but i guess that's just nit-picking ;)
92, tell Mrs 92 that Winona's hair was a direct copy of Merle Streep's haircut from the Movie Silkwood from 1983

there are spoilers in this article, view at your own risk http://www.vulture.com/2016/07/stranger-things-duffer-brothers-winona-ryder-kid-actors.html

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

92, tell Mrs 92 that Winona's hair was a direct copy of Merle Streep's haircut from the Movie Silkwood from 1983

there are spoilers in this article, view at your own risk http://www.vulture.com/2016/07/stranger-things-duffer-brothers-winona-ryder-kid-actors.html
hah, will do. i guess we thought it needed more feathering to be true to the 80s ;)

it took me a little while in the first episode to recognize her (i'm guessing she had a lot of work done), but she did a really good job with her character.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.