Alabama-Tennessee SECCG long overdue.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Alabama has played in 10 SEC championship games. Tennessee has played in five. But they never have played each other with the SEC championship on the line. That's one of the oddities of the conference playoff, which started back in 1992.

Twenty-four years later, this finally could be the year. At least, that's what the majority of folks participating in SEC Football Media Days thought last week.

http://www.knoxnews.com/sports/vols...a7-2e8a-2384-e053-0100007f1ce4-387180661.html

Some history here I had not realized. Who would have thought these two would not meet for this long a time in the CG.

It appears the Vile fans are setting their sight on winning the SEC. I just do not think Tennessee can win the East. I know they had a couple of close loses last year but they also had a couple of close wins. So when they win the East I will believe it.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Given the fact they play every year, that plays a BIG ROLE in the fact they've never met.

Alabama has played Florida (92-93-94-96-99-08-09-15) eight times but only ONE was a rematch; the other seven times they did NOT meet in the regular season. In fact, the SECCG rematch is RARE compared to other places.

That's a big reason why.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Since you play one another every year, it is not that strange that you would not have both been able to win your division in the same year. One team has to lose that game, and the loss really hurts the chances of that team making it to the SECCG.

In essence, the team that loses that game has to go undefeated in the rest of their SEC games to make it.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
SECCG Rematches

1999 Alabama-Florida
2000 Florida-Auburn
2001 LSU-Tennessee
2003 LSU-UGA
2004 Auburn-Tenn
2007 LSU-Tenn
2010 Auburn-SCAR

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Alabama has played in 10 SEC championship games. Tennessee has played in five. But they never have played each other with the SEC championship on the line. That's one of the oddities of the conference playoff, which started back in 1992.

Twenty-four years later, this finally could be the year. At least, that's what the majority of folks participating in SEC Football Media Days thought last week.

http://www.knoxnews.com/sports/vols...a7-2e8a-2384-e053-0100007f1ce4-387180661.html

Some history here I had not realized. Who would have thought these two would not meet for this long a time in the CG.

It appears the Vile fans are setting their sight on winning the SEC. I just do not think Tennessee can win the East. I know they had a couple of close loses last year but they also had a couple of close wins. So when they win the East I will believe it.
usually pre-season expectations of glory are often misplaced. so i will go on record saying that i don't think tennessee will even get close to the sec cg this season.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Just based on how I feel towards the programs, I would rather see Florida or Georgia in the conference champ game before UT. That's not based so much on my expectations as much as just a personal wish.

sabanball

All-American
Jan 4, 2006
High Cotton
Just based on how I feel towards the programs, I would rather see Florida or Georgia in the conference champ game before UT. That's not based so much on my expectations as much as just a personal wish.
With Kirby at UGA and McElwain at Florida, B Jones days at UT are numbered...

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
East
1. UGA 11-1 (7-1)
2. ut 9-3 (5-3) (1-0)
2. UF 8-4 (5-3) (0-1)

Round robin
UGA 1-1 (ut-W, UF-L)
ut 1-1 (UF-W, UGA-L)
UF 1-1 (ut-L, UGA-W)

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
Well up until 2012, Alabama had not played any other team in the SECCG except Florida. We played Georgia that year for the first time. Since then, we've added one more team to our resume in Missouri.

I agree with everyone though that yearly rivals have a much lower chance of meeting in Atlanta for the championship than non-rivals.

theballguy

Hall of Fame
Nov 5, 2012
Roll Tide Roll, Colorado USA
usually pre-season expectations of glory are often misplaced. so i will go on record saying that i don't think tennessee will even get close to the sec cg this season.
If Vols make it this season, it will be because of complete lack of competitiveness from the rest of the SEC East. I still the best UT can do is only 2-3 losses. I believe CKS will have the Dawgs ready for it one day but not this season. I still also think Coach Mac is a season or two away from the same. On paper, UT *should* win but Butch has a way of underwhelming when it matters most. If he were nicer and a good role model, I'd say he is the new Mark Richt.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
SECCG Rematches

1999 Alabama-Florida
2000 Florida-Auburn
2001 LSU-Tennessee
2003 LSU-UGA
2004 Auburn-Tenn
2007 LSU-Tenn
2010 Auburn-SCAR
I would add that the number of rematches almost always involves something unusual setting it up. The 2001 rematch - PROBABLY - does not happen without 9/11. That attack moved the LSU-Auburn and Tenn-UF games to the end of the season; I suspect we have different winners if the game is played earlier, before LSU began playing well that year.

Auburn only made the 2004 game because of missed PAT by LSU early in the game.

And in what is an act typical of the Mark Richt era, UGA was probably the best team in the SEC in 2007 and yet they got blown out by the same Tennessee Vols team that .500 Alabama tore to shreds two weeks later.......if UGA wins that game, they play LSU and given the other upsets, they probably play Ohio State for the championship. (This is the same UGA that escaped Alabama with a 3-point overtime win in September).

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I hope we never meet them in the SEC title game because it would mean they are having success. I never want that for ut.

Last edited:

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I would add that the number of rematches almost always involves something unusual setting it up. The 2001 rematch - PROBABLY - does not happen without 9/11. That attack moved the LSU-Auburn and Tenn-UF games to the end of the season; I suspect we have different winners if the game is played earlier, before LSU began playing well that year.

And in what is an act typical of the Mark Richt era, UGA was probably the best team in the SEC in 2007 and yet they got blown out by the same Tennessee Vols team that .500 Alabama tore to shreds two weeks later.......if UGA wins that game, they play LSU and given the other upsets, they probably play Ohio State for the championship. (This is the same UGA that escaped Alabama with a 3-point overtime win in September).
just quoting because things like this can't be said enough about uga

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama

But that's like saying that ALL of Alabama's SECCGs happened under unusual circumstances. There are games in every season that results made you scratch your head.

Let's just look at the last 2 we played in

Treadwell getting hurt while nearly crossing the goaline is probably the biggest reason we got in. Idk if Arkansas still beats ole miss with treadwell. Also the LSU kicker kicking it out of bounds really helped us.

How many times does a 4th and 25 lateral play work, and what are the odds that Arkansas gets two tries on a two point conversion as well?

So your best argument is the 2001 season. Other than that what are the difference between any other team getting to the SEC.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.