Blog: Latest Bama News 7/18/2016 Thru 7/24/2016

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
Ivy League moving kickoffs up to 40-yard line for 2016 season - SBNation.com/rbr
The Ivy League is moving forward with an experimental rule that will move kickoffs up to the 40-yard line in an effort to improve player safety. Standard kickoffs in college football come from the 35-yard line, and moving them forward five yards is an attempt to boost touchbacks and decrease the number of dangerous hits that frequently happen on return plays. As part of the rule change, touchbacks will result in the ball being placed at the 20-yard line, moving it back from the 25.
rbr op[FONT=&quot]As we discussed a few days ago, movement is plainly in the direction of eliminating or modifying kickoffs. The more football-conventional of us (including myself, Saban, and I would imagine most of you) do not favor getting rid of this strategic aspect of the game. However, Saban's thoughts on modifying kicks may actually be what wins in the end -- and that's the position the Ivy League has taken.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As a final quibble, I would call Peter Berkes a friend, but he's just wrong on this one -- kickoffs aren't boring and it is demeaning to the sports' rugby and Gaelic rules origins to eliminate the foot aspect of football. Then again, he thinks I'm a grumpy old man, so your mileage may vary.[/FONT]

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
[FONT=&quot]The 10 best offensive lines in college football | FOX Sports[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]3. Alabama The Tide had the nation's best O-line last season, but did lose some good players off that 2015 squad. Most notably, center Ryan Kelly, the best guy and the leader of the group. Cam Robinson returns at left tackle and he's a dominant force, especially in the run game. Sophomore guard/center Ross Pierschbacher is heady and physical and a guy the staff is really high on -- as are guard Brandon Kennedy and Lester Cotton. Massive Alphonse Taylorstarted all last season at guard, but his recent DUI has put his status in jeopardy since he's been suspended indefinitely. He had a bad offseason and has battled weight issues and was actually demoted in the spring. Freshman OT Jonah Williams may be the most talented player of all of 'em (with the possible exception of Robinson). Saban and his staff love the 6-5, 290-pound California import. "He's a very bright guy and very athletic. He has really good lower-body explosion. Good feet," Saban said, adding that Williams just needs to get a little bigger and stronger.[/FONT]
rbr op[FONT=&quot]WADR to Feldman (and I seem to say that a lot) Jonah Williams is a superstar in waiting on the offensive line, but Lester Cotton will wind up being this teams huckleberry over the next three seasons -- a gifted tackle with great hands and feet, with the physicality, lower body strength and meanness to move inside at any time, is a helluva weapon, and frankly weapons we don't talk about enough -- even here, the home of offensive lineman love.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]FTR: LSU is ranked number two (which I'm not buying) and USC is ranked No. 8 (which I do buy.)[/FONT]

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
[FONT=&quot]The Big 12 wants to expand after all, so who will it be? | FOX Sports[/FONT]
rbr op[FONT=&quot]On a conference call following a meeting of the league’s board of directors (the university presidents), Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby and Oklahoma president David Boren all but said to Cincinnati, Houston, BYU and all other interested candidates: go ahead. Make your best offer. "The direction from the board to the commissioner," Boren said, "was to re-contact schools that expressed interest in us and to find out exactly the nature of the interest, [and] evaluate what proposals they might make in accordance with their interests." "We've been contacted by a number of institutions," Bowlsby said, "and I would imagine after this news breaks we'll be contacted again."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Goodness: Take your pick of (depending on your source) 2-4 teams from: Memphis, BYU, USC, USF, Tulane, Cincinnati, UConn and alleged others who want to go back to a not-so-benevolent Texas dictatorship, and the Big 12 is in a mess we saw coming as far back as 2009 when Megaconferences became a thing.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Fortunately, this round will not affect the SEC at all. No one is leaving the richest, most prominent gravy train for flyover hell and 11:00 FOXSN1 kickoffs -- we call that the JP game.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]My bet? Two teams -- BYU, Cincinnati. Four teams? Memphis, BYU, Houston, Cincinnati. What are yours?[/FONT]

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.