Link: Hmm... Discussions about eliminating kickoffs...

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
take away kickoffs and we win the ole miss game
Take away the losses to Ole Miss, and we probably don't gain the maturity/chemistry to win the SECCG and get to the playoffs like we did the last 2 years. Saban even said as much, that those kinds of things help the team come together and gain focus. So as far as i'm concerned, they can beat us again.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
What some would like to do is take the foot out of football. I love kickoffs, they may be the most violent of plays but they are also an exciting part of the game. Perhaps the best part, it gives guys who may not normally get in the game a chance to play.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
You'll be taking away 1/3rd of the game. I really hope this doesn't happen. It not only changes the game but I enjoy the strategy of the coach like CNS and the onside kick. It's a risk but if you recover it can change the game. We don't need to lose that.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
First thing that occurred to me also. OTOH, the main reason in basketball was that there was a dearth of officials who could do the tossup properly. There aren't really that many even in the NBA. That's not the situation with football...
Think it also had to do with speeding up the games. Lining up for every jump ball took too long.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
SMH! They moved the kickoff spot from the 40 to the 35 to create the potential of more returns and fewer touchbacks. Now they want to eliminate it because those returns have resulted in more injuries!? :rolleyes:

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
SMH! They moved the kickoff spot from the 40 to the 35 to create the potential of more returns and fewer touchbacks. Now they want to eliminate it because those returns have resulted in more injuries!? :rolleyes:
Right - so just move the ball back to the 40 and let teams determine their strategy. 5 yards less "head of speed" and easier to boot it deep. Less likely to bring it out because the defense is 5 yards closer. Getting rid of the kickoff is an answer with zero creativity or thought - but then again it is the NCAA.

Last edited:

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
I don't have statistics but are the kickoffs and punt returns really that dangerous to the game to be eliminated? I watch a lot of football but I don't really remember seeing repetitive or eashmof injuries on kickoffs or punt returns as opposed to plays from scrimmage. Obviously the opportunities for injury are higher from scrimmage plays. But sitting from my armchair i don't see a disproportionate number of injuries occurring on kickoffs or punt returns to warrant eliminating the phases from the game.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't have statistics but are the kickoffs and punt returns really that dangerous to the game to be eliminated? I watch a lot of football but I don't really remember seeing repetitive or eashmof injuries on kickoffs or punt returns as opposed to plays from scrimmage. Obviously the opportunities for injury are higher from scrimmage plays. But sitting from my armchair i don't see a disproportionate number of injuries occurring on kickoffs or punt returns to warrant eliminating the phases from the game.

There are more, but the question is one of balance. Are there enough to justify amputating an important part of the game? What I really want to ask, though, is what is "eashmof?" :)

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
There are more, but the question is one of balance. Are there enough to justify amputating an important part of the game? What I really want to ask, though, is what is "eashmof?" :)
"eashmof" is the one sports injury that escaped you?:)

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Rash of injuries [emoji3] these buttons on my phone are too damn small...

InsaneMustang

1st Team
Jul 30, 2001
It doesn't matter what we think, as soon as the "science" comes back saying there are too many hard hits on a kickoff, they'll be gone. But to think about some of the greatest returns ever - having never happened - makes me want to puke.

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
This would be a non issue if we could kick it out of the end zone every time. Funny how Awbren can kick it out of the end zone year after year and we seem to struggle.
I thought that Saban didn't have them kick it out of the endzone on purpose. I was under the impression that he would kick it down right to edge, so they would try to return and hope that we could tackle them before the 25 yard line, so they had further to go.

Not saying I agree with it because I would much rather just give them the 25 yards and not have to worry about heart attacks, but I'm not the coach.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I have the perfect solution (I kid you not) on how to stop all the concussions. We need to simply slow the game down. For instance we could have each player wear weighted shoes like the basketball team practice in. Now they are running slower and collisions are less violent. Unless someone inadvertently gets kicked in the head with one of those weighted shoes. :biggrin2:
I was thinking along the same lines...Equally absurd would be:

They could impose uniforms that restrict movement to slow the game down.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.