Link: Hmm... Discussions about eliminating kickoffs...

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Kick offs is a time for for a team and fans to show their inner rooster or alpha, because it usually happens following success......like an extended explanation of the point after. It is also vital to transition from offensive mentality to defensive. "ROOOOOOOOOOLLLLL, Tide! Roll!. Eliminating would change the feel of the game. You have to weight this with injury I suppose, I know which side I am on.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
That, or instead of the traditional kick off we could line up just like a regular punt from the 50 yard line and punt the ball. Could also do a fake punt in place of an onside kick. Both the fake punt and onside take at least ten yards.
Not sure I really think a big change is called for, but if there is going to be one, I like this proposal.

Treat it like a 4th and 10 situation, line up in any formation you like, and run a play. Except I'd say line up on the 35 or 40, not 50.

I understand the idea about putting the ball on the 40, but I think that will lead to the extreme outcomes people don't want. mostly there will be a guaranteed touchback, or else the ball will be high and short, while the coverage team will be 5 yards closer to the receiver, making it far more likely the receiver gets blown up.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
I am a traditionalist when it comes to this game. Historical records are apple to apple comparisons when the game does not change its rules format.

Player safety is all fine and good, but let's be honest enough to say that players go to major power 5 conferences to have a chance to play in the NFL. College football should mirror the rules of the NFL to prepare the players for a career there. Academic college is meant to prepare students to become workers in a field.

I fail to understand why preparing someone for a career in football would not be in the wheelhouse of Universities.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Not related to football, but I read today that Olympic boxers will not be wearing headgear this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.