Link: Hmm... Discussions about eliminating kickoffs...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I can't see that happening at all. Without it, we wouldn't see Foster hit on Fournette or Tony Brown nailing a player on kickoff. That's a momentum changer that can shift either way. Without the kickoff, it would be hard to go into overtime with momentum not there.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Kickoff and punt are the most injury risky plays in the sport. Kickoffs more so than punts because the alignment allows defenders to pick up speed and blockers to wait around for potshots to come to them.

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
No way this will really go anywhere. It would change the game way too much. The threat of a KR TD would be gone. The onside kick...gone. Two things we just benefitted from tremendously in the NCG. Also taking away the onside kick would effectively kill the chance for miraculous 4th Qtr comebacks.

Lastly removing kickoffs would take away valuable playing experience from the younger guys. Most of our young emerging stars play on Special teams as Freshman. Take that away and the only playing expierence at game speed is on Offense/Defense. Players will have to wait longer to get on the field and when they do get there it will be throwing them to the wolves with no room for error.

Snuffy Smith

All-American
Sep 12, 2012
Huntsville, AL
No way this will really go anywhere. It would change the game way too much. The threat of a KR TD would be gone. The onside kick...gone. Two things we just benefitted from tremendously in the NCG. Also taking away the onside kick would effectively kill the chance for miraculous 4th Qtr comebacks.

Lastly removing kickoffs would take away valuable playing experience from the younger guys. Most of our young emerging stars play on Special teams as Freshman. Take that away and the only playing expierence at game speed is on Offense/Defense. Players will have to wait longer to get on the field and when they do get there it will be throwing them to the wolves with no room for error.
That was my exact thought when I saw this. Take away kickoffs and we don't win the NCG.

smilinc

BamaNation Citizen
Sep 9, 2006
I think there are forces out there that want to destroy the game we love so much...... PC.... professors who think competition is bad.... milk toast people who don't like the idea of a "man's sport".... the same nut jobs that did away with the jump ball in Basketball....... Let us watch this and speak out loudly against it... it would ruin our sport!!!

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
I have the perfect solution (I kid you not) on how to stop all the concussions. We need to simply slow the game down. For instance we could have each player wear weighted shoes like the basketball team practice in. Now they are running slower and collisions are less violent. Unless someone inadvertently gets kicked in the head with one of those weighted shoes. :biggrin2:

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I may have missed it if already discussed, but the Drake return was one of the most exciting plays of the NC game. I do no see radical changes as this happening. Either play the game the way it is with safety in mind, or ditch it. But do not change it.

TNElephantitis

1st Team
Nov 30, 2015
Memphis, TN
That was my exact thought when I saw this. Take away kickoffs and we don't win the NCG.
VERY TRUE, but consider this. That same player that had that glorious Kick return for the ages this January, suffered a broken arm and could have very well been lost for the season 8 weeks earlier... on a kick return. I am not in favor of A'Shawing (86ing) kick offs, but had KD not come back after that broken arm last year, I may be a little more sour on the matter.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I have the perfect solution (I kid you not) on how to stop all the concussions. We need to simply slow the game down. For instance we could have each player wear weighted shoes like the basketball team practice in. Now they are running slower and collisions are less violent. Unless someone inadvertently gets kicked in the head with one of those weighted shoes. :biggrin2:
we could put them in those "sumo" uniforms you see between innings at baseball games.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I think there are forces out there that want to destroy the game we love so much...... PC.... professors who think competition is bad.... milk toast people who don't like the idea of a "man's sport".... the same nut jobs that did away with the jump ball in Basketball....... Let us watch this and speak out loudly against it... it would ruin our sport!!!
Wait. They got rid of the jump ball in basketball!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lost in TN

1st Team
Sep 20, 2009
Collierville, TN
This would be a non issue if we could kick it out of the end zone every time. Funny how Awbren can kick it out of the end zone year after year and we seem to struggle.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Wait. They got rid of the jump ball in basketball!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
First thing that occurred to me also. OTOH, the main reason in basketball was that there was a dearth of officials who could do the tossup properly. There aren't really that many even in the NBA. That's not the situation with football...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.