Link: USC's Jackson Wants to Shadow Alabama's Ridley in Opener

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
There is no doubt that Ridley is a first rounder. I would not want to be covering him, because if he gets a step on you, he has another gear beyond that he kicks into when you think he is already running full speed. It is like an afterburner that he can turn on and off to adjust to the ball.

bodiddle

All-SEC
May 14, 2006
Yep, it is like some of you have said, if he does this shadow thing it effectively takes their best defender out of the game and the rest of our receivers will eat them up.

gamersfuel

All-American
Jan 20, 2008
Auburn/near a cow pasture
seems as though he means, if he does well it will look good on his resume..he's a very good player so should be fun. also looking foward to seeing how we do against Ju Ju Smith. possibly the first WR in the NFL draft next season.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
Well Jackson is a stud - no argument there. I am looking forward to the matchup. Clemson contained Ridley pretty well but they had to sell out to do so. Enter OJ Howard. The rest is history. So go ahead and commit your best player to our best player. I think we'll take those odds and play 10-on-10 with the rest (and probably still get some for Ridley).

Exhibit A

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
If Jackson mirrors Ridley, he'll likely have a subpar game. Jackson is THAT good.

The problem is, we have at least three other receivers who would be most teams top guy (Stewart, Foster, Dieter), one of the best receiving TE in the country (Howard), and a RB who was so good at catching the ball he played WR in the Under Armor all-American game (Bo). So unless the multiply Jackson, stopping Ridley isn't slowing things down much.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

bamablood6

1st Team
Mar 27, 2006
i have to get on a flight to doha 30 minutes before kickoff. i will be checking the scores as soon as we land. this will be the first season opener i have missed under saban.

at least i wont have to deal with the game thread eeyores
You taking that dreaded United airlines DC to Doha flight? Thats a monster.....definitely going to miss the game and then some.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
What they do on the back end of their defense will likely be predicated by how much pressure they can get on your QB, and how well he responds to that pressure. Because this will be the first start for your QB, I just don't see huge numbers in the air. I think that you are more likely to see Bo or Harris have a monster game than anyone else.

JMO, but I don't see Saban putting the entire game in the hands of a QB this inexperienced. The passes will likely be mostly short and safe.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
What they do on the back end of their defense will likely be predicated by how much pressure they can get on your QB, and how well he responds to that pressure. Because this will be the first start for your QB, I just don't see huge numbers in the air. I think that you are more likely to see Bo or Harris have a monster game than anyone else.

JMO, but I don't see Saban putting the entire game in the hands of a QB this inexperienced. The passes will likely be mostly short and safe.
From what I've read, their DL isn't great against the run. Bo and Damian should enjoy that. Then, Bama can go deep on a few play action passes and make the secondary pay.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
You taking that dreaded United airlines DC to Doha flight? Thats a monster.....definitely going to miss the game and then some.
nah. qatar air out of atlanta. 14 hrs of awesomeness (i flew this route with qatar air last week). then i get a 10 hour layover before my next flight to hong kong, so i can catch up on the game thread. could have booked on delta via seattle and had 4 hour layover and about 3 hours less flying time, but it was almost twice the cost. this summer we officially switched all of our international business travel from delta to qatar air

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
So I looked up Jackson's stats... and Iman Marshall and it seems like to me, they're going to have long night against Wide receivers. Jackson's number regressed from 2014 to 2015. he may be the real deal, so I'm curious to see how much he has improved this year on the field.

It seems like we're probably going to try and out spread their defense thin to where Jackson can't really shadow a player.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
From NFL Network's Daniel Jeremiah:

First Look: Scouting USC CB Adoree' Jackson

Adoree' Jackson is arguably the most athletic player in college football. He has been a dynamic player in all three phases of the game (offense, defense and special teams), and football might not even be his best sport. He has won back-to-back Pac-12 titles in the long jump, and narrowly missed qualifying for the U.S. Olympic Team a few weeks ago. I've seen him play live on several occasions, but I've just recently had a chance to study his play on tape. Here's my scouting report.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
This is the part that caught my attention:

Where he needs to improve: Jackson is ultra athletic, but he gives up too many plays as a cornerback because of his inconsistent focus and technique. He really struggled against wide receiver Will Fuller (a first-round pick of the Houston Texans this year) in the Notre Dame game last season. On the first snap of the game, he got caught peeking in the backfield and let Fuller get by him for a 75-yard TD. He was beat over the top two other times by Fuller in that game, with one resulting in a pass-interference penalty and the other in a long reception. His eye discipline has been an issue in other games, too. Also, he rarely uses his hands to re-route wide receivers when he's in press coverage. Against most opponents, he has enough speed and agility to recover but this needs to be cleaned up. As a receiver, he has good hands, but most of his targets come on bubble screens and quick flat routes. He isn't asked to run a variety of routes. He's an explosive athlete, but it would take a lot of development for him to play receiver at the next level. He simply doesn't have a lot of experience.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

While I agree with your point for the most part, technically if Bateman starts it won't be his first start.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.