Question: Road to SEC Title/ National Title game the Toughest Ever

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
You don't have to pay to be a TidePride member if you don't want to attend those games.

Don't give him what he wants...
Exactly. Cowherd's ratings, twitter feed, etc have obviously been down so he had to attack Bama to get some people to pay attention to him. He is fishing so don't give him what he wants like RTR91 said.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Anytime you have Western KY, Kentucky, Kent State and Chattanooga all on the schedule in the same year, you can't say it is the toughest ever. It is a good schedule with 7 good SEC programs and one good OOC program but the toughest - not a chance.
I don't believe we need to lump in Western KY with Kent State and Chattanooga. They went 12-2 last year, won the C-USA conference title, beat Vandy, lost to Indiana by three and the other loss was at LSU. They have a wide open offense and score a lot of points. They are a sandwich game between USC and Ole Sis and while I am not worried about losing the game they will play us hard.

TiderMan

All-SEC
Feb 5, 2005
Moody, AL.
You don't have to pay to be a TidePride member if you don't want to attend those games.
I don't have to be in Tide Pride and I don't have to attend those games, however I do choose to stay in Tide Pride and I choose to go to the games because I am a Alabama football fan. I enjoy the SEC games (we have a good time at the lesser games too), I enjoy the tailgating, I enjoy the atmosphere, and I enjoy being there with 100,000 other fans. I was lucky enough to be able to get into Tide Pride going into the 2011 season and I have been fortunate to be able to attend all but two home games during that period (2014 Southern Miss and 2015 La. Monroe) and both of those games were missed due to my son's baseball tournaments. So I do go and support the team however, I would like to see some better OOC opponents from time to time.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I don't have to be in Tide Pride and I don't have to attend those games, however I do choose to stay in Tide Pride and I choose to go to the games because I am a Alabama football fan.

Over the years, we've had tight games with big underdog OOC teams. It seems like at least every other year we wind up in a real fight to get away with a win. It takes some of the fun out of a matchup when we are favored forty something points, but I can understand how the team would need to schedule a few of these each season to give the guys a breather.

With the opening game scheduled on a neutral field almost routinely, it seems like that takes one game that might have been played in Tuscaloosa somewhere else. Figure in three OOC games in Tuscaloosa, and I can understand someone wanting to see a tougher OOC lineup.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Over the years, we've had tight games with big underdog OOC teams. It seems like at least every other year we wind up in a real fight to get away with a win. It takes some of the fun out of a matchup when we are favored forty something points, but I can understand how the team would need to schedule a few of these each season to give the guys a breather.

With the opening game scheduled on a neutral field almost routinely, it seems like that takes one game that might have been played in Tuscaloosa somewhere else. Figure in three OOC games in Tuscaloosa, and I can understand someone wanting to see a tougher OOC lineup.
Not quite sure who you're referring to as I look over the games of the last few years.

Maybe Colorado State in 2013? But that probably owes as much to the fact the other three games (two before, one after) were Va Tech, Manziel, and Ole Miss.

I didn't see the 2012 WKU game, but I recall it being kinda frustrating (and Jalston Fowler was lost for the year).

Maybe 2011 Ga Southern? But that one had a lot to do with facing the first wishbone offense we'd faced in several years as even Smart and Saban conceded.

I'll grant we used to have trouble (even lose during the Sanctions Era, as I call it) with the La Techs and UCFs of the world but since 2010 those are the only 2-3 'anxious' games I recall (and I worked all of those days and didn't see any of those games).

We had trouble with FIU in 2009, I do recall that.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Not quite sure who you're referring to as I look over the games of the last few years.

Maybe Colorado State in 2013? But that probably owes as much to the fact the other three games (two before, one after) were Va Tech, Manziel, and Ole Miss.

I didn't see the 2012 WKU game, but I recall it being kinda frustrating (and Jalston Fowler was lost for the year).

Maybe 2011 Ga Southern? But that one had a lot to do with facing the first wishbone offense we'd faced in several years as even Smart and Saban conceded.

I'll grant we used to have trouble (even lose during the Sanctions Era, as I call it) with the La Techs and UCFs of the world but since 2010 those are the only 2-3 'anxious' games I recall (and I worked all of those days and didn't see any of those games).

We had trouble with FIU in 2009, I do recall that.
You have to remember I'm working with a faulty memory. :)

One season we played a "cupcake" that used a different offense than what we were used to playing...they played us tighter than many conference teams did. (Maybe Georgia Southern?)And then there was the game that Saban described how they ran thru us like "stuff" thru a tin horn.

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
You have to remember I'm working with a faulty memory. :)

One season we played a "cupcake" that used a different offense than what we were used to playing...they played us tighter than many conference teams did. (Maybe Georgia Southern?)And then there was the game that Saban described how they ran thru us like "stuff" thru a tin horn.
You're thinking of the Georgia Southern game for both games you just referenced.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
You're thinking of the Georgia Southern game for both games you just referenced.
It occurred to me I was doing that but I wasn't sure.

One other point I seem to remember being discussed about playing down to some of these lower level teams...they have occasionally given some people the impression that they can be prone to playing a more dirty game which leaves a few of our players banged up.

Some of you guys have am amazingly accurate memory about each game played over the years. I think that ability is remarkable. As if, when thinking of a past game, you can see it in your head like it's a detailed and accurate photograph.

Others, like myself, when trying to remember and sort out which game did this happen...instead of being like looking at a photograph of what happened, it's more like looking an an impressionist painting. :) if that makes any sense. I'm not complaining, my memory serves me well, but I'm the first to admit I'm not a walking historian on Bama football. I depend on you guys to correct me and keep me straight.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Some of you guys have am amazingly accurate memory about each game played over the years. I think that ability is remarkable. As if, when thinking of a past game, you can see it in your head like it's a detailed and accurate photograph.
For some of us, it ain't just football......and sometimes it ain't real fun, either.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.