Question: Road to SEC Title/ National Title game the Toughest Ever

I was just looking over Bama's schedule and I believe, not including that have byes before we play them, this is the toughest schedule I've seen Bama having to play through. It's a loooong season and I believe if this team gets through it and wins it all they would have had travelled the toughest road ever. What do you think?

It may be even sweeter than last season.

In case you don't know the schedule:

USC @Cowboy Stadium
Western Kentucky
@Ole Miss
Kent State
Kentucky
@Arkansas
@Tennessee
Texas A&M
Bye
@LSU
Mississippi State
Chattanooga
Auburn
SECCG
College Football Playoff
National Title

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

Last edited:

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al
2010 was a much harder season, I think six teams had byes around our game. We only have two teams with byes before us(LSU/A&M) and we have a bye before LSU. We only have two road games near each other and get KY from the east. TN comes off a tough 3 game stretch before us(FL, @UGA, @A&M). We get Auburn at home. Toughest road games are LSU, Ole Miss and TN. Arkansas, Auburn, Texas A&M, Miss St are all breaking in new QBs.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I was just looking over Bama's schedule and I believe, not including that have byes before we play them, this is the toughest schedule I've seen Bama having to play through. It's a loooong season and I believe if this team gets through it and wins it all they would have had travelled the toughest road ever. What do you think?

USC @Cowboy Stadium
Eastern Kentucky
@Ole Miss
Kent State
Kentucky
@Arkansas
@Tennessee
Texas A&M
Bye
@LSU
Mississippi State
Chattanooga
Auburn
SECCG
College Football Playoff
National Title

Last season was the toughest schedule we've had and I don't think it'll be any different this year. Tennessee and Texas A and M swapped place on the schedule, and to me I think it's good that we'll play Tennessee right after Arkansas before facing Texas A and M at home. I don't think Ole miss is 100 percent focused with what's going on around the team and the program, so I think they will be distracted at home. I see three tough games that can go either way: Arkansas, Tennessee and LSU. We will definitely be tested a lot on the road this year.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

USC @Cowboy Stadium
Eastern Kentucky
@Ole Miss
Kent State
Kentucky
@Arkansas
@Tennessee
Texas A&M
Bye
@LSU
Mississippi State
Chattanooga
Auburn
SECCG
College Football Playoff
National Title

We play Western Kentucky

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Idk, seems pretty average to me. We draw Kentucky from the East, so we miss out on all the dangerous teams over there (ten excepted obviously).

As an aside, they really need to adjust the east-west scheduling dynamic. Playing only one new team every year is ridiculous. I think teams are currently on an 8yr rotation. That is two complete classes and a well established head coach who could never play a team in the other division.

For example, unless South Carolina manages to win the East sometime soon, it will have been NINE YEARS since the last time we played. Nine years to avenge the 2010 loss. That is ridiculous. Might as well be another conference...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Idk, seems pretty average to me. We draw Kentucky from the East, so we miss out on all the dangerous teams over there (ten excepted obviously).

As an aside, they really need to adjust the east-west scheduling dynamic. Playing only one new team every year is ridiculous. I think teams are currently on an 8yr rotation. That is two complete classes and a well established head coach who could never play a team in the other division.

For example, unless South Carolina manages to win the East sometime soon, it will have been NINE YEARS since the last time we played. Nine years to avenge the 2010 loss. That is ridiculous. Might as well be another conference...

Only way it is corrected is to go to nine conference games or drop the protected cross-division rivalries. The second will never happen because of Alabama/Tennessee and Auburn/Georgia. The first will never happen because of a variety of issues. But Nick Saban is for it.

techster79

All-American
Oct 20, 2014
Deatsville, Al
The only other way would be to only play 5 west opponents so somebody would get skipped each year. I say we drop auburn and pick up an east team.

RollTideMang

All-American
Oct 16, 2009
St. Louis, MO
The only other way would be to only play 5 west opponents so somebody would get skipped each year. I say we drop auburn and pick up an east team.
What happens if Bama and Auburn then go 8-0 in the SEC (or any other same division teams that don't play each other that year)? Who goes to the SEC championship?

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
Complete round robin divisional schedule is required in order for the conference to play a CG. Schools have next to nothing to say about their conference schedule anyway. Scheduled by the SEC office.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Let me fulfill my self-designated role as TideFans jerk:

NOBODY KNOWS at this point. NONE OF US. None of you.

Many times a schedule can look incredibly daunting at the start of the year........and then team after team implodes or fails to live up to expectations or a surprise (2000 Oklahoma, 2010 Auburn) stuns everyone.

We could be facing a schedule with nine teams ranked in the pre-season and then six of them fall into some level of mediocrity. Be honest - how many of you picked Miss State to be number one and 9-0 roaring into Tuscaloosa in 2014? NONE of us saw that coming. Even if you want to say, "But they finished 10-3," how many of you would have predicted 10-3 for them with wins over LSU, Auburn, and ATM in three consecutive games? Even our own esteemed JessN, very good overall in his assessments (and he DID acknowledge MSU for once had a team capable of living up to its potential), saw them as a 7-5 football team.

(I'm not picking on him - my own assessment was the same. Anyone is free to point out in a link here where you picked MSU to go 10-3 that year).

Their schedule was brutal but they caught a break against LSU and then hammered the other two. True, they collapsed at the end, but 10-3 is a very successful year by their standards.

When one looks at schedule brutality nowadays, the basic hope is "if we can get through with just one loss and win the conference, we have a chance."

So not to be rude to my esteemed colleague JPcola, but none of us really knows at this point. It certainly LOOKS brutal at the start of the season, but we'll see.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
From an SEC board in June of 2014. Picked Ole Miss at 10-2 and MSU at 9-3. Would have been the opposite if Egg Bowl had been in Starkville. Went with Ole Miss at home. Everyone thought I was insane. :biggrin:

ALA2262

Posted 22 June 2014 - 02:54 PM

2014 Ole Miss Rebels:

8/28: Boise State (at Atlanta, GA)-W
9/6: at Vanderbilt-W
9/13: UL Lafayette-W
9/20: OPEN
9/27: Memphis-W
10/4: Alabama-L
10/11: at Texas A&M-W
10/18: Tennessee-W
10/25: at LSU-L
11/1: Auburn-W
11/8: Presbyterian-W
11/15: OPEN
11/22: at Arkansas-W
11/29: Mississippi State-W

10-2

ALA2262

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:09 AM

2014 Mississippi State Bulldogs:

8/30: Southern Miss-W
9/6: UAB-W
9/13: at South Alabama-W
9/20: at LSU-L
9/27: OPEN
10/4: Texas A&M-W
10/11: Auburn-W
10/18: OPEN
10/25: at Kentucky-W
11/1: Arkansas-W
11/8: UT Martin-W
11/15: at Alabama-L
11/22: Vanderbilt-W
11/29: at Ole Miss-L

9-3

Last season was the toughest schedule we've had and I don't think it'll be any different this year. Tennessee and Texas A and M swapped place on the schedule, and to me I think it's good that we'll play Tennessee right after Arkansas before facing Texas A and M at home. I don't think Ole miss is 100 percent focused with what's going on around the team and the program, so I think they will be distracted at home. I see three tough games that can go either way: Arkansas, Tennessee and LSU. We will definitely be tested a lot on the road this year.
I think last season was tough, but only because we couldn't lose another game after losing to Ole Miss. That doesn't mean it was the toughest schedule.

Yeah, 2010 sticks out for me too.

So not to be rude to my esteemed colleague JPcola, but none of us really knows at this point. It certainly LOOKS brutal at the start of the season, but we'll see.
Come on Selma, you aren't a jerk. I guess that's what I am trying to say, it does look the part. I know we draw UK this year, but we also draw USCw.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
We often get predictions at the beginning of the season talking about how difficult Bama's schedule is. By the end of the season, in hindsight, many times the same schedule doesn't seem as tough as it did before the games were played.

One factor that I think helps explain this, in my opinion, sometimes get overlooked or downplayed. I'm talking about how teams generally go into a tailspin after being beaten by Bama.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.