GOP discovers Free Speech again

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
not my words Kasich's
Which is fine. But you're switching topics. First, it was David Duke inspired by Trump to run for Congress to stop ethnic cleansing of whites. Now, it's Kasich challenging Trump on Trump's plans to expel 11.5 million illegal immigrants. Two different things are they? So, what are you trying to say? I'm not making the connection between Duke, Kasich and Trump other than you don't like Trump and you're hanging on every sound bite of his.

We all know he's a blow hard. But so his Hillary. At least Trump's fun to watch and his wife and daughter are easy on the eyes. Geez...embrace the chaos man.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Which is fine. But you're switching topics. First, it was David Duke inspired by Trump to run for Congress to stop ethnic cleansing of whites. Now, it's Kasich challenging Trump on Trump's plans to expel 11.5 million illegal immigrants. Two different things are they? So, what are you trying to say? I'm not making the connection between Duke, Kasich and Trump other than you don't like Trump and you're hanging on every sound bite of his.

We all know he's a blow hard. But so his Hillary. At least Trump's fun to watch and his wife and daughter are easy on the eyes. Geez...embrace the chaos man.
again, this thread is about the GOP finally speaking their mind, so I am showing GOP people speaking their mind. Why are you trying to read in more?

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
again, this thread is about the GOP finally speaking their mind, so I am showing GOP people speaking their mind. Why are you trying to read in more?
You are the one who put forth that David Duke was speaking on behalf of the GOP by quoting some no name, left-wing liberal blog. You, I and everyone else on this board knows he's not a mouthpiece for the GOP and has been completely ostracized by the GOP. I just called BS on your post.

Tider@GW_Law

All-American
Sep 16, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I'm not saying Duke didn't say it, I just find it preposterous that it's mentioned in this thread as some "credible" news in general. Who cares what David Duke says or what Right Wing Watch prints. If Duke were "relevant" then I would be concerned. Should we worry that Duke is going to be part of Trump's cabinet? Maybe he'll be the Secretary of HUD.
What Steve King said the other day about non-whites contributing nothing to civilization was something David Duke would say.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...te-to-contributions-of-white-people/87270220/

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
What Steve King said the other day about non-whites contributing nothing to civilization was something David Duke would say.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/st...te-to-contributions-of-white-people/87270220/
That wasn't Jon's point and even if it was, he never made the connection. Thanks for attempting to come to his rescue though. A lot of people in Congress say a lot of dumb things. Even our President once said there were 57 states. Mr. King needs a history lesson. I guess they don't teach World History in Iowa...other than Western Civilization.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Yes, Exhibit A as to why the Dems love that the GOP is speaking out again.

It seems the GOP is thinking, "What better time than now to start alienating all non-white voters?"
The GOP went out in 2013 and commissioned a report on how to ensure the future of the GOP in national elections after getting their butts handed to them by Obama in 2012

So far they've not only ignored the suggestions they've doubled down on the exact opposite of every recommendation, it seems

So keep talking GOP your are only digging your grave deeper

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
The GOP went out in 2013 and commissioned a report on how to ensure the future of the GOP in national elections after getting their butts handed to them by Obama in 2012

So far they've not only ignored the suggestions they've doubled down on the exact opposite of every recommendation, it seems

i guess that is a sub-section of cleek's law

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Saw a video on Facebook of a young woman attempt to hold up a banner that simply said "No Racism...No Hate". People kept snatching at the banner, and at one point, what looked to be a member of security attempted to cover up the banner with an American flag...rather disturbing symbolism, if you think about it.
Well my guess is that the people there took exception to the insinuation that they were racist and hateful. I mean I don't think we can argue with a straight face that the woman in question was actually a Republican there to watch the speeches and people just read too much into her banner.

And while I think Trump is a slimeball and will never vote for him, I also think the accusations of racism are, as pretty much always, empty hyperbole that borders on slander. Just because the man has an idiotic idea to build a wall and "have Mexico pay for it" and doesn't support unlimited immigration and refugee acceptance from the Mid East doesn't make him a racist. In fact I don't even think Mr. Trump believes anything he says on immigration, he is just saying stuff that he thinks the average Republican will respond positively to (the fact that he won the primary vote with the rhetoric of a 12yr old is depressing in and of itself).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Well my guess is that the people there took exception to the insinuation that they were racist and hateful. I mean I don't think we can argue with a straight face that the woman in question was actually a Republican there to watch the speeches and people just read too much into her banner.
Fair enough. At the same time, the visual of the American flag being used to "silence" her is still disturbing.

Tider@GW_Law

All-American
Sep 16, 2007
Sacramento, CA
That wasn't Jon's point and even if it was, he never made the connection. Thanks for attempting to come to his rescue though. A lot of people in Congress say a lot of dumb things. Even our President once said there were 57 states. Mr. King needs a history lesson. I guess they don't teach World History in Iowa...other than Western Civilization.
The exact exchange below. Had Hayes not effectively given King an out and that first statement had stood, King was clearly saying, "What subgroup has contributed more to civilization than old white people?"

Hayes said he was shocked and tried to give him to give King (who has a confederate flag on his desk) a chance to restate his point by asking what amounted to "holy crap, are you seriously arguing for white supremacy?," at which point King remembered to use his dog whistle and instead said "Western civilization," which is still an incredibly ignorant statement.

"This 'old white people' business does get a little tired, Charlie," King said. "I'd ask you to go back through history and figure out, where are these contributions that have been made by these other categories of people that you're talking about, where did any other subgroup of people contribute more to civilization?"Hayes asked: "Than white people?"
"Than, than Western civilization itself," King said. "It's rooted in Western Europe, Eastern Europe and the United States of America and every place where the footprint of Christianity settled the world. That's all of Western civilization."

Tider@GW_Law

All-American
Sep 16, 2007
Sacramento, CA

This is a good point, but one for which it isn't necessarily fair to refer to the GOP as a monolith.

There is a serious push by the big money within the GOP to continue working towards those recommendations in the report.

Hence the "shadow convention" occurring in Cleveland and other parts of the country as we speak. This is a pretty interesting article on the effort: http://www.politico.com/magazine/st...ican-party-leaders-future-donald-trump-214065

Politico said:
When it came to talk of 2016, though, the mood was grim. The Republican primary had just narrowed to essentially two choices, each anathema to these card-carrying members of the GOP establishment: Ted Cruz and, even more egregiously, Donald Trump.

But few were as dark about the Republican Party’s future as former President Bush himself. In a more intimate moment during the reunion, surrounded by a smaller clutch of former aides and advisers, Bush weighed in with an assessment so foreboding that some who relayed it could not discern if it was gallows humor or blunt realpolitik.

“I’m worried,” Bush told them, “that I will be the last Republican president.”

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
The exact exchange below. Had Hayes not effectively given King an out and that first statement had stood, King was clearly saying, "What subgroup has contributed more to civilization than old white people?"

Hayes said he was shocked and tried to give him to give King (who has a confederate flag on his desk) a chance to restate his point by asking what amounted to "holy crap, are you seriously arguing for white supremacy?," at which point King remembered to use his dog whistle and instead said "Western civilization," which is still an incredibly ignorant statement.

And, what? He's an idiot. Who's going to argue that other than King himself. As I stated, he clearly needs a history lesson, besides Western Civilization.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Fair enough. At the same time, the visual of the American flag being used to "silence" her is still disturbing.
To be honest it never even occurred to me that the American flag could be taken to be symbolically "silencing" this woman's "free speech". Props to the active imagination of the press though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Right. Western Civilization [wink wink].
I think you've clearly missed my point. He obviously thinks that only whites have contributed to our global development. Hence he's only focused on Western Civilization. We all know that the first written language began in Sumeria with Cuneiform. We know that gun powder, silk, pasta, magnificent architecture, mathematics (abacus) among many other things developed in East Asia. The Mayans had a tremendous calendar system. Ancient Arabs were renowned for their mathematical prowess. My point is, this dude missed the boat and needs to go back and get a broader history lesson.

Tider@GW_Law

All-American
Sep 16, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I would also point out to the OP that never has there been a general election candidate that revoked or denied as many press credentials as Trump has, and his campaign staff has made it clear to a number of journalists that if they deem their articles "untrue," their press credentials will be revoked, as happened with the Washington Post.

Not just an attempt to suppress freedom of the press/speech, but not the most brilliant political strategy either - ensuring several major media outlets can only cover the other candidate.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.