Expansion: Alive and Well

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The pathetic thing is the tone coming from the Big 12 seems to be that of cold calling some bigger schools and gauging their interest. They were tepid on the schools that want in, they made that clear, but the tone seems to be that of pretending like a school is going to leave a power 5 conference to join them, which seems really silly. What this really means is they're going to pick up some lesser schools and call it a day.

I suppose the ACC deal did spook the Big 12, since it extended grant of rights decades into the future. They can put to rest the notion of adding Clemson and FSU (or the long shot of adding Notre Dame since from what I gather grant of rights applies to Notre Dame outside of football), so I guess they're realizing if they don't do something they might be stuck without being able to do anything.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
I wasn't aware Coach Bryant did this either. And really the roots of this do go back at least as far as the 70's. The changes in college TV in the 80's made the changes since possible.
"However, in 1975, there appeared to be a making up of sorts between Coach Bryant and Coach Dodd. Bryant told Dodd that Alabama would personally sponsor Georgia Tech getting back into the SEC. While Dodd was grateful, he stated that the Mississippi schools would never allow Tech back into the SEC. Why the Mississippi schools, you ask? Well that begins another interesting chapter in this story ( I told you it was twisted! )."

GEORGIA TECH LEAVES THE SEC

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The pathetic thing is the tone coming from the Big 12 seems to be that of cold calling some bigger schools and gauging their interest. They were tepid on the schools that want in, they made that clear, but the tone seems to be that of pretending like a school is going to leave a power 5 conference to join them, which seems really silly. What this really means is they're going to pick up some lesser schools and call it a day.

I suppose the ACC deal did spook the Big 12, since it extended grant of rights decades into the future. They can put to rest the notion of adding Clemson and FSU (or the long shot of adding Notre Dame since from what I gather grant of rights applies to Notre Dame outside of football), so I guess they're realizing if they don't do something they might be stuck without being able to do anything.
Notre Dame is also contractually bound to joint the ACC in football, should they ever decide to give up pseudo-Independence, for the length of the grant of rights deal.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
If I were the Big12, and looking for realistic teams to add, I'd go the following route.

Colorado St. - gives you back the market you lost when Colorado bolted.

BYU - the top of the list of schools not currently in a power 5 conference (ND is bound to the ACC). They have a large fan base, that spans coast to coast.

Then you have two other spots to fill. I would try extending the footprint by adding UCF (who I think could become a TCU level team if given the resources a P5 gives them) and Cincinnati (the tv market, plus Midwest expansion, helps the conference).

Only one of those is a remotely sexy pick (BYU), but I think those give the most future value.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
BYU because of they have a large following across the country and are competitive. Cincinnati would give West Virginia a close rival and for media market and recruiting. Central Florida is a large school in a populous state. Memphis with FedEx money will be the last team.

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
There is a rumor floating around that Pac 12 is in contact with Houston. Hmmm. Wonder if the other team is Texas, or Texas, Houston, Oklahoma and Okla St?

This could be some serious Power Five realignment for sure if Texas and Houston go West.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
I'm really trying to care what the Big XII-2/Texas' conference wants to do, but I just can't. As for the article, I love the part of the piece saying the teams won't have full revenue at first. What a way to give the teams an exciting reason to leave their conference. These new teams would be the sub-sub-group under Texas.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
There is a rumor floating around that Pac 12 is in contact with Houston. Hmmm. Wonder if the other team is Texas, or Texas, Houston, Oklahoma and Okla St?

This could be some serious Power Five realignment for sure if Texas and Houston go West.
Well, Houston makes more sense in the Pac 12 than the Big 12 that's for sure. The TCU addition was already confusing, but in the network era, having five schools in the same state just doesn't make any sense.

I think it is hard to see where the Pac 12 would be going if they added Houston though. From what I read the sit down had nothing to do with expansion really and the Pac 12 had no interest in Houston. I'd tend to agree with that, if the Big 12 is still looking at Texas, and who ever else they have to get to add Texas, then Houston has to have very little appeal.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Rick Neuheisel had a suggestion for a possible Big 12 addition yesterday - UCLA.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see UCLA say, "You know what? This deal with this USC thing? We’re gonna go and be our own guy, rather than always tied to the school here in Los Angeles." It wouldn’t shock me at all. I don’t have any inside information. I’m just saying from outside looking in.

UCLA just left Adidas for cash. They went to Under Armour. Right? If there were a reason to do it...If all of a sudden...and you take Los Angeles and put it into the Big 12 market where Texas and football are king, it would have a huge impact.
Seems crazy, right? Here are some tweets from a Kansas State fan I follow on Twitter about it:

• OKC radio just threw data: K-State makes three times more on http://KStateHD.tv than UCLA makes from Pac 12 Network.
  • They were not trying to brag on K-State's behalf. They were explaining where the UCLA-to-Big 12 thing comes from.
  • Now that I'm at my desk, I can elaborate. Apparently, UCLA's take from tier 3 product on the Pac 12 Network is less than $1.5M a year. SAD!
  • OKC radio guys -- who are actually gung-ho "get OU off this boat" guys -- think UCLA, Arizona State, and Arizona are legitimately in play
  • Lots of strife in the Pac-12, apparently, to the point where they actually think the Pac-12 is an even bigger dumpster fire than the Big 12.
  • I am really starting to get the idea that the Big 12 is going to add 4 teams, and our response to 3 of them is going to be "WHAT? NO WAY"
  • Third-hand: Pac-12 unrest is "very real"

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Rick Neuheisel had a suggestion for a possible Big 12 addition yesterday - UCLA.

Seems crazy, right? Here are some tweets from a Kansas State fan I follow on Twitter about it:

• OKC radio just threw data: K-State makes three times more on http://KStateHD.tv than UCLA makes from Pac 12 Network.
  • They were not trying to brag on K-State's behalf. They were explaining where the UCLA-to-Big 12 thing comes from.
  • Now that I'm at my desk, I can elaborate. Apparently, UCLA's take from tier 3 product on the Pac 12 Network is less than $1.5M a year. SAD!
  • OKC radio guys -- who are actually gung-ho "get OU off this boat" guys -- think UCLA, Arizona State, and Arizona are legitimately in play
  • Lots of strife in the Pac-12, apparently, to the point where they actually think the Pac-12 is an even bigger dumpster fire than the Big 12.
  • I am really starting to get the idea that the Big 12 is going to add 4 teams, and our response to 3 of them is going to be "WHAT? NO WAY"
It sounds like some ramblings from Chip Brown, but hey. Lets just go with it.

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL

UCLA will not leave the PAC 12. That would be crazy for a whole host of reasons. OU and Texas GOING to the PAC 12 would make more sense.

None of the suggested program additions make sense or look workable to me. Four superconferences make better sense for the long term and the Big 12 got beat out by the more forward-thinking ACC, PAC 12, SEC, and ACC. Time for them to heed the handwriting on the wall.

Last edited:

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA

Indeed. The initial PAC 12 interest in Texas and Oklahoma was for marketing $$$. Unrest is very real when they find themselves on the bottom of the money pile. That is why I would work hard to get a couple of Texas teams. When USC, Stanford and etc. play in Houston, or Lubbock, it is bound to have Texas TV sets tuned in.

I heard a Texas reporter this morning saying Texas went along with Expansion just to tread water until the B12 renewal comes up. They want to milk the LHN as long as possible and then go to the Big 10 with Kansas. I wonder.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
UCLA will not leave the PAC 12. That would be crazy for a whole host of reasons. OU and Texas GOING to the PAC 12 would make more sense.

None of the suggested program additions make sense or look workable to me. Four superconferences make better sense for the long term and the Big 12 got beat out by the more forward-thinking ACC, PAC 12, SEC, and ACC. Time for them to heed the handwriting on the wall.
True. But the Pac 12 Network is struggling mightily.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Which means why would anyone leave the Big 12 for less money? I thing the Pac 12 need to add Houston and SMU while they can get them. The AAC doesn't pay much at all.
The Pac 12 Network is struggling because it's not on certain cable providers. Until that changes, schools will be leery of going to the Pac 12.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Which means why would anyone leave the Big 12 for less money? I thing the Pac 12 need to add Houston and SMU while they can get them. The AAC doesn't pay much at all.
That's my point. Ultimately, the PAC 12 network isn't being carried by certain providers because the demand simply is not there. They don't have the number of passionate fans that will call the providers and demand the network be carried. This is certainly where Texas/Oklahoma would help them, but in the end, Texas did not want to leave their comfort zone of the southwest, and certainly didn't want to relinquish their own network.

So, I do think it is very interesting if there is any grain of truth to RTR91's quotes from the KSU fan as well as Neuheisal. Arizona/Arizona State have not been members of the PAC conference very long. Just since the 70s. UCLA also does not have the same level of history as the rest of the PAC schools. They didn't start playing football until 1919, and didn't join the Pacific Coast Conference until 1928 (the PCC morphed into the PAC 8 in 1968 after big cheating scandals broke it apart).

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.