Expansion: Alive and Well

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I wasn't sure where to put this, so I guess this will do.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ws-list-expansion-candidates-least-12-schools
They do not comment on Memphis, but here are the teams that are still in the running for sure.
Air Force, BYU, UCF, Cincinnati, Colorado State, UConn, Houston, Rice, South Florida, SMU, Temple and Tulane.

Here are the teams out of the running:
Arkansas State, Boise State, East Carolina, New Mexico, Northern Illinois, San Diego State and UNLV

While I can generally see the logic to some of those teams that didn't make the cut (Arkansas State, New Mexico, Northern Illinois and UNLV are not very attractive additions), I'm not sure Boise State, East Carolina or San Diego State are worse than some of the programs remaining on their list. If they were focusing on a network Easter Carolina or invading California via San Diego State could make some sense. Boise State is also one of the bigger brands on the list, even if their days as an almost football power might be done.

The list of teams that did make the cut is obviously better, but with a couple odd teams left in there. Why is SMU and Rice on the list? Furthermore, who really thinks Temple and Uconn are good fits?

I just can't figure out what direction they are going with this. Perhaps they are going to go for basketball powers, by adding Uconn and Cincinnati. They might be trying to rebuild the Southwest Conference, since that worked so well the first time (Houston, Rice, and SMU). You could have even have the religious expansion with SMU, BYU, and Temple (leaving a spot for Notre Dame to join in a couple decades). Of course more rationally they might just be trying to add solid, known brands like Air Force and BYU. Who knows if they are even worrying about the network aspect which would make UCF and South Florida particularly attractive? Of course that still leaves Colorado St. and Tulane. I can't figure out why the heck they're still on the list...
Heard the invitations were sent out this week, via the local sports radio in H'town. BYU & Houston would be the best adds in my personal opinion to keep the Big 12 alive and at 12. OU @ UH this weekend should be telling if UH is ready to take the big stage again or stay in a mid-conference.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Heard the invitations were sent out this week, via the local sports radio in H'town. BYU & Houston would be the best adds in my personal opinion to keep the Big 12 alive and at 12. OU @ UH this weekend should be telling if UH is ready to take the big stage again or stay in a mid-conference.
I wouldn't bother with BYU, too much baggage.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
...They do not comment on Memphis, but...
A while back, Memphis was wanting to join the SEC and their AD made the statement that Memphis "deserved" to be a member. I said that this guy needs one of two things: a dictionary so he could learn the meaning of the word "deserves" or a good therapist to help him deal with his delusions of adequacy.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I wasn't sure where to put this, so I guess this will do.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...ws-list-expansion-candidates-least-12-schools
They do not comment on Memphis, but here are the teams that are still in the running for sure.
Air Force, BYU, UCF, Cincinnati, Colorado State, UConn, Houston, Rice, South Florida, SMU, Temple and Tulane.

Here are the teams out of the running:
Arkansas State, Boise State, East Carolina, New Mexico, Northern Illinois, San Diego State and UNLV

While I can generally see the logic to some of those teams that didn't make the cut (Arkansas State, New Mexico, Northern Illinois and UNLV are not very attractive additions), I'm not sure Boise State, East Carolina or San Diego State are worse than some of the programs remaining on their list. If they were focusing on a network Easter Carolina or invading California via San Diego State could make some sense. Boise State is also one of the bigger brands on the list, even if their days as an almost football power might be done.

The list of teams that did make the cut is obviously better, but with a couple odd teams left in there. Why is SMU and Rice on the list? Furthermore, who really thinks Temple and Uconn are good fits?

I just can't figure out what direction they are going with this. Perhaps they are going to go for basketball powers, by adding Uconn and Cincinnati. They might be trying to rebuild the Southwest Conference, since that worked so well the first time (Houston, Rice, and SMU). You could have even have the religious expansion with SMU, BYU, and Temple (leaving a spot for Notre Dame to join in a couple decades). Of course more rationally they might just be trying to add solid, known brands like Air Force and BYU. Who knows if they are even worrying about the network aspect which would make UCF and South Florida particularly attractive? Of course that still leaves Colorado St. and Tulane. I can't figure out why the heck they're still on the list...
I don't think there is much to figure out. They are trying to let all of these schools down easily. There are only 3 or 4 legit schools on that list and I am stretching by using the term legit. It's BYU, Houston, Cincinnati, or a long shot in UConn. None of the others make any sense whatsoever. This can't be about markets because there will be no Big 12 network. It has to be about football ability and being as geographically sensible as possible. In the end, IMO, BYU has too much baggage and UConn is too far away. They will go with Houston and Cincinnati due to football ability as well as geographic sensibility. Houston fits right in and Cincinnati is a neighbor to and former conference rival of West Virginia.

RobK

All-SEC
Aug 27, 2004
Holts Summit, MO
knodell.blog-city.com
I still see the likeliest outcome as no expansion at all (in the near-term) in exchange for a payoff from the networks (which would save the nets money overall by not having to increase their payouts to the league for the increase in the # of teams...even more appealing because the additions would be inferior inventory).

I would think the next most likely outcome would be adding Houston and Cincinnati. Those are the safest picks that likely best withstand the politics of the league.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
Looking at those out of the running, I wonder why they did not consider Ohio. It is a large school in a populous state with room for growth. Much better than most on the entire list.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
I don't think there is much to figure out. They are trying to let all of these schools down easily. There are only 3 or 4 legit schools on that list and I am stretching by using the term legit. It's BYU, Houston, Cincinnati, or a long shot in UConn. None of the others make any sense whatsoever. This can't be about markets because there will be no Big 12 network. It has to be about football ability and being as geographically sensible as possible. In the end, IMO, BYU has too much baggage and UConn is too far away. They will go with Houston and Cincinnati due to football ability as well as geographic sensibility. Houston fits right in and Cincinnati is a neighbor to and former conference rival of West Virginia.
Well, I understand a political aspect to it but I don't get leaving some of these on there while they remove Boise State. I mean that amuses me on one hand but it's not logical on another. I don't think the no network thing is a done deal. UT has a deal with ESPN, that just means a network deal had to be with ESPN. A complete lack of a network in the long run could really stifle the Big 12. I don't get Houston either, never got Houston, I don't understand what that adds to the conference. They're not rich, they're not great at anything, the only reason I see adding them is because apparently everything in the state of Texas is better than everything else.

Having said that, I will be amused by the addition of Houston. There's several poor additions and Houston is one of them. They literally do nothing at all for the conference. The SEC might as well add UAB.

I still see the likeliest outcome as no expansion at all (in the near-term) in exchange for a payoff from the networks
The issue here is the network already overpaid. I get the idea that they pay up so they don't have to pay more, but either option right now has to really irritating their network partners. Then again, the overpay was stupid and meddlesome and those networks deserve what they get for doing it.

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
Can someone tell me, is the SEC network the last power 5 group to jump on this "network" thing? How is it doing money wise compared to everyone else? I heard the big ten this dinner signed a doosy of a contract

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006
Well, I understand a political aspect to it but I don't get leaving some of these on there while they remove Boise State. I mean that amuses me on one hand but it's not logical on another. I don't think the no network thing is a done deal. UT has a deal with ESPN, that just means a network deal had to be with ESPN. A complete lack of a network in the long run could really stifle the Big 12. I don't get Houston either, never got Houston, I don't understand what that adds to the conference. They're not rich, they're not great at anything, the only reason I see adding them is because apparently everything in the state of Texas is better than everything else.

Having said that, I will be amused by the addition of Houston. There's several poor additions and Houston is one of them. They literally do nothing at all for the conference. The SEC might as well add UAB.

The issue here is the network already overpaid. I get the idea that they pay up so they don't have to pay more, but either option right now has to really irritating their network partners. Then again, the overpay was stupid and meddlesome and those networks deserve what they get for doing it.
Something tells me OU and Stoops probably went hard in blocking Boise's entry after that bowl game debacle a few years ago.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.