Expansion: Alive and Well

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Come be at the beck and call of King Shorthorn and his crony, Prince Sooner. I just don't think that has any lure to a team in a stable conference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deliveryman35

Hall of Fame
Jul 26, 2003
Gadsden, AL
I don't see how any of those options significantly raise the value of their football portfolio. OU should have joined the SEC when they had a chance.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Apparently the announcement of the ACC Network caused them to panic about their position in the college football universe. Not sure why they weren't panicked before.

I'm also not sure this isn't simply rearranging the chairs on the deck of the Titanic. The league exists at the behest of Texas. Perhaps, maybe, Texas is throwing the rest of the league a bone here. They will make more money off of this. Their tv contracts guarantee an equal revenue growth for each team they add. Meaning if they are making 30 million per team right now, then each new school makes the revenue go up 30 mill a piece. The key here is, that any new addition will have to agree to not getting a full share right away. TCU and West Virginia are just now getting full shares this year. So, for a few years, the 10 schools that presently comprise the Big 12 will get a bounce in revenue until the new schools become fully vested.

Some folks have said that ESPN and Fox aren't going to be happy to be shelling out more money for what is surely to be lackluster additions (BYU, Cincinnati, Houston, UConn?) Well they agreed to the contracts! They did this in order to keep the Big 12 together. ESPN/Fox believed it was actually going to be cheaper if the Big 12 remained a conference, instead of several teams going west to form a PAC 16 and then the conference imploding. So, they wrote it into the contract that they would increase shares per teams evenly if the Big 12 expanded. Now, pay up.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
UCF is definitely on the table and a strong contender, as is Cincinatti, BYU, East Carolina. I believe Boise St, the service academies, and even Colorado St. will be in the mix. La Tech might even be high on the list. And before someone says it: All these schools have weaknesses and you should notice the tone of the announcement when they say they are looking for schools that can grow with them.

I don't know if this is good for college football or not but it is the way things have been heading since at least 1991.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
Not bad. I don't think any new team will hail from Tx, though, so no Houston. Going after Colorado and Misery are good ideas even though I don''t believe either will change back.
Houston does appear to be a long shot. Why would Texas allow yet another in state school to be boosted and make instate recruiting that much tougher?

I can see Colorado rethinking the move to the Pac 12 but ultimately I can't see them biting the bullet and moving back. Ditto Missouri although at times I wish they would move back. I'm sure there would be financial repercussions for that if we were to lose St. Louis/Kansas City from a market perspective. I just don't think Missouri fits in and you're probably never going to convince me that they do.

ALA2262

All-American
Aug 4, 2007
Cumming, GA
UCF is definitely on the table and a strong contender, as is Cincinatti, BYU, East Carolina. I believe Boise St, the service academies, and even Colorado St. will be in the mix. La Tech might even be high on the list. And before someone says it: All these schools have weaknesses and you should notice the tone of the announcement when they say they are looking for schools that can grow with them.

I don't know if this is good for college football or not but it is the way things have been heading since at least 1991.
Coach Bryant foresaw it in the 70s. When he offered to sponsor GT's re-admittance to the SEC. Wasn't because of his great love of Bobby Dodd, nor GT, and certainly not Atlanta.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Houston does appear to be a long shot. Why would Texas allow yet another in state school to be boosted and make instate recruiting that much tougher?

I can see Colorado rethinking the move to the Pac 12 but ultimately I can't see them biting the bullet and moving back. Ditto Missouri although at times I wish they would move back. I'm sure there would be financial repercussions for that if we were to lose St. Louis/Kansas City from a market perspective. I just don't think Missouri fits in and you're probably never going to convince me that they do.
I gotta tell you, sometimes I miss the old days with the old alignments that made geographical and cultural sense, but those days are gone. Truth is, Missouri really doesn't "fit" anywhere. They aren't southwest. They aren't midwest. They aren't southeast. They are a tweener school in a tweener state. They will never be a good fit anywhere.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Coach Bryant foresaw it in the 70s. When he offered to sponsor GT's re-admittance to the SEC. Wasn't because of his great love of Bobby Dodd, nor GT, and certainly not Atlanta.
I wasn't aware Coach Bryant did this either. And really the roots of this do go back at least as far as the 70's. The changes in college TV in the 80's made the changes since possible.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I'm not surprised by it. Although I'm sure he had no love for Dodd/Tech/Atlanta, I'm also sure he was aware of the value they all had for the SEC and probably didn't like to see them go. Coach Bryant usually put what was good for the conference first. This is why we got the Sugar Bowl/SEC alliance.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.