CFN: 2016 Alabama Crimson Tide Football Schedule Breakdown & Predictions

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I'll bite with LSU, too. Everyone talks about how much they need to work on their offense. Their defense hasn't exactly been stopping anyone either.
Well, two seasons ago (2014), LSU's scoring D was 4th in the nation. Then they lost Chief and hired the defensive genius that is Kevin Steele, and dropped to 41st in scoring D in 2015. I suspect now that the barn has hired the defensive genius that is Kevin Steele, LSU's D will be back to it's normal standard under new DC Dave Aranda.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Well, two seasons ago (2014), LSU's scoring D was 4th in the nation. Then they lost Chief and hired the defensive genius that is Kevin Steele, and dropped to 41st in scoring D in 2015. I suspect now that the barn has hired the defensive genius that is Kevin Steele, LSU's D will be back to it's normal standard under new DC Dave Aranda.
Not only do they benefit from getting a better DC, but they also are returning an unusual amount of starters on the defense. Last year's defense was a little inexperienced.

I've never known Wisconsin to be great on defense though. Even with the 4th best defense in 2014 we managed to beat them.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I've never known Wisconsin to be great on defense though. Even with the 4th best defense in 2014 we managed to beat them.
Bama manages to beat virtually everyone they play.

I was reacting to your statement:
Their defense hasn't exactly been stopping anyone either.
Agree to disagree. They may not stop Bama, but that's a standard no one can match regularly. Outside of last year, LSU's D has been quite good. Not Bama good, but no one is Bama good.

Bama manages to beat virtually everyone they play.

I was reacting to your statement:

Agree to disagree. They may not stop Bama, but that's a standard no one can match regularly. Outside of last year, LSU's D has been quite good. Not Bama good, but no one is Bama good.
Understood. I'm looking at their 8-5 schedule that year. When they got beat, that defense couldn't stop anyone. Now, they played Bama really tough, but everyone does. They lost to AU 41-7, Miss State 34-29, who was good for once, ND 31-28, Arky 17-0. I guess the overall team was bad, but that's a lot of points to give up. I agree though recent history says LSUs D has been good.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Understood. I'm looking at their 8-5 schedule that year. When they got beat, that defense couldn't stop anyone. Now, they played Bama really tough, but everyone does. They lost to AU 41-7, Miss State 34-29, who was good for once, ND 31-28, Arky 17-0. I guess the overall team was bad, but that's a lot of points to give up. I agree though recent history says LSUs D has been good.
The bigger issue in 2014 for LSU was offense. They averaged 27.6 ppg while giving up 17.5 ppg. In today's football, 17.5 ppg is pretty solid. Averaging scoring only 27 ppg is not.

Look at the number of returning starters on LSU's defense since 2011 along with the PPGA and you'll see why people expect big things from LSU in 2016:

SeasonPPGAReturning Starters

(NOTE: I excluded Tyrann Mathieu from the 2012 returning starters since he was suspended.)

The bigger issue in 2014 for LSU was offense. They averaged 27.6 ppg while giving up 17.5 ppg. In today's football, 17.5 ppg is pretty solid. Averaging scoring only 27 ppg is not.

Look at the number of returning starters on LSU's defense since 2011 along with the PPGA and you'll see why people expect big things from LSU in 2016:

SeasonPPGAReturning Starters

(NOTE: I excluded Tyrann Mathieu from the 2012 returning starters since he was suspended.)
Thanks for that info. I can understand the hype. I would expect LSU to have a big year too with that defense coming back. Expectations have to be met by them. Reality could be different with a new coordinator. That is one person I don't understand the hype about.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
It all depends on Harris. Since LSU talked about opening their passing game up to make it easy on Fournette and Harris. If I was opposing team, I would want Harris to beat us with his arm. Make him do NFL throws, put lot of stress on him. Make him adjust at LOS and see what he can do. LSU has very good chance of being legit contender for playoff spot.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.