This day in History: A few men tried to destroy evil. (July 20th plot on Hitler)

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This event always has a special interest to me. Not just because it throws a major "What if" in how the war concludes, but a few men defy their allegiance to an evil regime, and tried to save the world from one more day of Hitler's cruelty.

Well here is an article about it. I hope you all enjoy it
http://www.historylearningsite.co.u...ar-two-and-eastern-europe/the-july-bomb-plot/
“The assassination must be attempted, at any cost. Even should that fail, the attempt to seize power in the capital must be undertaken. We must prove to the world and to the future generations that the men of the German resistance movement dared to take the decisive step and to hazard their lives upon it. Compared with this, nothing else matters.”

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
I knew the table support saved him. I didn't realize the bomb was moved...
Most tend to believe it was Heinz Brandt who moved it since he was one of the closest to the blast, and Hitler went out his way to promote him before his death the next day to general. Brandt was also an Olympic athlete in the Munich Olympics.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
If it had worked, hard to say what would have happened.
The Axis Front lines in the east were midway into the blue area.

In other words, the Wehrmacht held no territory that had been Soviet in 1939. But, the Soviets held no piece of Germany proper.
In the west, things looked better, but appearances were deceiving.

11 Days later, Bradley and Patton popped open the cork on the Normandy bottle,

so things were going downhill fast, both east and west.
If von Stauffenburg had knocked off Hitler, and gotten Beck in charge, I don't know how much of a deal Beck could have struck with the Allies. Certainly Stalin and FDR would have been inclined to push such a punitive peace that the Germans might have had to fight on, hoping for some turn of events. Only Churchill would have been amenable to some peace short of the utter destruction of Germany.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Fun fact. One of the conspirators, Von Moltke, was the grand-nephew of Von Moltke the Younger, the German Chief of Staff at the start of the Great War, and great-grand nephew of Von Moltke the Elder, the Prussian Chief of Staff during the Franco-Prussian War and the German unification.

It is also interesting how many of the "old guard" leaders from the days of the First World War that Hitler looked up to and tried to get involved in his government for propaganda purposes, actually despised him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
If it had worked, hard to say what would have happened.
The Axis Front lines in the east were midway into the blue area.

In other words, the Wehrmacht held no territory that had been Soviet in 1939. But, the Soviets held no piece of Germany proper.
In the west, things looked better, but appearances were deceiving.

11 Days later, Bradley and Patton popped open the cork on the Normandy bottle,

so things were going downhill fast, both east and west.
If von Stauffenburg had knocked off Hitler, and gotten Beck in charge, I don't know how much of a deal Beck could have struck with the Allies. Certainly Stalin and FDR would have been inclined to push such a punitive peace that the Germans might have had to fight on, hoping for some turn of events. Only Churchill would have been amenable to some peace short of the utter destruction of Germany.
I tend to agree that even if they were successful with operation Valkyrie, it would be hard to broker a significantly better arrangement than what eventually happened. But with the military in control of strategic operations for the first time since the Battle of Moscow , it might have produced a better defensive strategy. Plus Rommel would still be alive if this scenario worked. But it's hard not to see Germany occupied in some form or fashion in the end.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I tend to agree that even if they were successful with operation Valkyrie, it would be hard to broker a significantly better arrangement than what eventually happened. But with the military in control of strategic operations for the first time since the Battle of Moscow , it might have produced a better defensive strategy. Plus Rommel would still be alive if this scenario worked. But it's hard not to see Germany occupied in some form or fashion in the end.
I think the biggest benefit would have been the earlier stopping of the mass murder of millions of people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I think the biggest benefit would have been the earlier stopping of the mass murder of millions of people.
For Germans especially.
A German colleague of mine told me that of all the German casualties in WW II from Sept. 1939 to May 1945, over half occurred in the last year of the war. I checked, and if you count killed and wounded, he is right. June 1944 - May 1945 was really bad for Germany.
It was no cakewalk for the Allies, either.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.