News Article: Cop shoots caretaker of autistic man playing in the street with toy truck

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Police union now trying to justify it by saying the officer just had bad aim. Never mind they were told repeatedly the guy had a toy car in his hand not a gun. That rules out accidental discharge. They are saying the officer meant to shoot. SMH

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/22/us/north-miami-police-charles-kinsey-shooting/index.html
That makes sense. I mean, it's not like the first lesson of firearm usage is, "Be sure of what you're aiming at" or "Don't point a gun where you don't intend to shoot."

They could be very professional and say he failed to meet minimal expectations and 'we're sorry for him but more importantly to the public and MOST IMPORTANTLY to (names of the two folks).' This is not a difficult task, folks.

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
It certainly doesn't get better if he hits the other guy.

"Cop shoots disabled minority in the street for playing with a toy truck."
Okay, so now they're saying the patient with the deadly toy truck was white, and the cop was trying to hit him... After being told he was unarmed.

That makes it all better! /blue

Still doesn't explain why they handcuffed the victim after he'd been shot.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
This is going to be rhetorical I guess.

(Side note: based on what little I've seen and read, this appears to be one of those cases - like the McKinney and Arlington cops - of the cop being in the wrong).

But why is it these videos almost always promise MORE than they can deliver? They're like wrestling promoters. Virtually every one of these I phone videos of a cop shooting a person is INCOMPLETE. In this one, it jumps from the cop yelling to the guys on the next portion saying he shot the black guy but not the fat kid. They always manage to turn away and miss the actual shooting and yet people then make them go viral. Virtually none of them I've seen conclusively proves anything one way or the other.

Why is that?
Because they didn't have a director or cinematographer blocking the action and placing the camera in advance?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Because they didn't have a director or cinematographer blocking the action and placing the camera in advance?
My only point is they always manage to TURN AWAY right at the critical point. I can understand that happening SOMETIMES - but what always seems to happen is the critical moment is missed and then the video 'goes viral' and we're TOLD what happened by others. In light of 'hands up don't shoot' being a perpetuated myth (I'll be charitable and say its entirely possible a bad eyewitness actually really thought they saw that - myth, not lie), one would think actually showing the reality would be important.

That's all I'm saying. I'm in no way defending the cop in this particular case. I'm just finding the convenient 'oops, but this is what happened' a little too commonplace.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
My only point is they always manage to TURN AWAY right at the critical point. I can understand that happening SOMETIMES - but what always seems to happen is the critical moment is missed and then the video 'goes viral' and we're TOLD what happened by others. In light of 'hands up don't shoot' being a perpetuated myth (I'll be charitable and say its entirely possible a bad eyewitness actually really thought they saw that - myth, not lie), one would think actually showing the reality would be important.

That's all I'm saying. I'm in no way defending the cop in this particular case. I'm just finding the convenient 'oops, but this is what happened' a little too commonplace.
in this video, he literally had his hands up saying "don't shoot"

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I saw that.

Did you see the shot?

Kind of irrelevant in this one based already on what the PD said, but we're continually given videos telling us 'cop shot this unarmed black guy' and - in the case of Sterling, for example - turns away at a critical point (and he was NOT unarmed). In most cases, there's a lot being decided and reacted upon based upon what we are TOLD happened at the earliest stage.

I just find the 'never films the actual shooting' a convenient non-occurence in too many cases.

I was, in fact, asking a question. If someone is going to savage someone's reputation then at least have the video supporting evidence one CLAIMS to have. That's all.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I saw that.

Did you see the shot?

Kind of irrelevant in this one based already on what the PD said, but we're continually given videos telling us 'cop shot this unarmed black guy' and - in the case of Sterling, for example - turns away at a critical point (and he was NOT unarmed). In most cases, there's a lot being decided and reacted upon based upon what we are TOLD happened at the earliest stage.

I just find the 'never films the actual shooting' a convenient non-occurence in too many cases.

I was, in fact, asking a question. If someone is going to savage someone's reputation then at least have the video supporting evidence one CLAIMS to have. That's all.
that was in response to your "perpetuated myth" comment

Tider@GW_Law

All-American
Sep 16, 2007
Sacramento, CA
You seemed to approve of academy training in "if you hesitate you're dead". You don't see any possible problem there?
I've been twice deployed in-theater and got training on engaging civilians both times. I find it odd that we were trained firing on a civilian was the absolute last resort with several exceptions (and TBH, as non-combat reservists, we were terrified at the prospect of shooting an innocent civilian even if they breached the perimeter), while many LEOs in the USA, with its civilian legal protections, get "hesitate and you're dead" drilled into them - likely not just in initial training, but in supervisors' routine reviews of LEOs' performance.

I just don't understand why and when it was agreed that all the risks should be shifted from LEOs to civilians.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

Playing devil's advocate....we never saw the cop shoot the man on the ground.

We saw the man.....we saw the cop.....but never saw the cop shoot the man.

OK - I am not saying in didn't happen.

But the missing footage when the "deed" was done.

I think that's what Bill was saying - and he's right.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I think the camera didn't start rolling until after the shots were fired. Remarkable, if so, that he was able to keep his hands up.
It's consistent with his RV interview, when he compared the wounds to "mosquito bites." I think the slugs went into his legs and he was a good-sized guy. If I were a plaintiff's attorney, rather than mostly an estate/wills/trust attorney, I would hate he said that...

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
that was in response to your "perpetuated myth" comment
I think the comment was regarding the myth from Ferguson.

It's consistent with his RV interview, when he compared the wounds to "mosquito bites." I think the slugs went into his legs and he was a good-sized guy. If I were a plaintiff's attorney, rather than mostly an estate/wills/trust attorney, I would hate he said that...
According to the article, "mosquito bite"...he was hit once not multiple times.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I'm just glad he isn't needing your services right now.

I am also glad he didn't' go on a big anti-cop rant. His calm demeanor may have stopped a violent reaction or protest.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com
jmho, but i think there are a couple of factors at play here (not saying these are the only factors)

beginning with the show cops, we turned policing into entertainment, where folks tuned in to watch the "bad folks" get jacked around by the cops.

additionally, we are arming the police like a military force. i see it in georgia regularly, cops doing traffic work (speed checks with radar) in o/d or black "bdu's" and fully decked out in tactical holsters, etc looking like special ops troops. at some point, that has to affect how some officers see themselves and their role vis a vis the public.

Maybe because they never know when some nutball is going to show up, like Dallas or Baton Rouge...

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I'd be concerned that the cop was a member of the pd's SWAT team, was armed with a rifle and supposedly fired several rounds at the autistic man. He missed with every shot and one round even hit the wrong man.
Yes he should be fired for the shooting. But at least they also discovered that he can't shoot!

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I'd be concerned that the cop was a member of the pd's SWAT team, was armed with a rifle and supposedly fired several rounds at the autistic man. He missed with every shot and one round even hit the wrong man.
Yes he should be fired for the shooting. But at least they also discovered that he can't shoot!
Apparently incompetent on multiple levels.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.