News Article: Cop shoots caretaker of autistic man playing in the street with toy truck

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I can't wait to see how this one gets justified. Thank God nobody was killed.
Cellphone video footage obtained by Napoleon clearly shows the heavy-set autistic man sitting and playing with his toy while Kinsey, dressed in a yellow shirt and shorts, obeys police orders to lie down on his back.

The video, taken before the officer fired his weapon, shows Kinsey on his back with his hands in the air telling police he didn’t have a weapon and asking them not to fire. At one point the autistic man appears to yell at Kinsey to shut up. A second brief video shows officers who are carrying rifles physically patting down Kinsey and the autistic man while they are lying on the ground.

In an interview with WSVN-Channel 7, Kinsey said that after he was shot, officers approached and flipped him over and handcuffed him.

“Sir, there’s no need for firearms,” Kinsey told the news station he said to police before he was shot. “It was so surprising. It was like a mosquito bite.”

Kinsey said when he asked the officer why he fired his weapon, the cop responded, “I don’t know.”
http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/crime/article90905442.html

Last edited:

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I meant to post this to the Non-Sports board. If a Moderator could move it for me, I'd appreciate it. Sorry for the mistake.

Thank you!

Last edited:

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL
They had an interview with him in his hospital bed and the guy was really calm and said what made him mad was being rolled over on the ground and handcuffed. He also asked why he was shot but it was his voice that made it so funny. He never raised his voice at all, he just described what happened.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I hope he bankrupts that PD with his lawsuit, and if that cop isn't fired, I'll never set foot in Miami again.
I have some pretty good friends in that area. One of them is a Democrat but an avid supporter of LEOs. I happen to know that her sister is a long-time policewoman in Coral Gables. (Joined the force one week before Andrew.) I'm going to ask her how people in the area feel about it...

Last edited:

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
LEO's are gonna be some of the skinniest people in America, or have iron stomachs.

This cop is so untrained he can't even double tap a black man in the chest if he's lying on his back perfectly still. Obviously needs more time at the handgun range.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Just saw a news clip about it. I'm jaded by these shootings, but it's still shocking to watch. This guy lying on the ground with his hands in the air asking to not be shot...and then promptly gets shot. I don't think there was any way he could have possibly cooperated any more with the police.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
As Rickie Ricardo said, "Somebody's got some 'splainin' to do."
Seriously, I don't see any way this cop keeps his job, and I'd bet he gets charged.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Just saw a news clip about it. I'm jaded by these shootings, but it's still shocking to watch. This guy lying on the ground with his hands in the air asking to not be shot...and then promptly gets shot. I don't think there was any way he could have possibly cooperated any more with the police.
While wearing a t-shirt and shorts, pretty easy to see he likely wasn't packing heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AV8N

1st Team
Sep 18, 2013
Obviously, the toy truck had the officer rattled. I mean, after what happened in Nice and all. (Blue font)

The words "I don't know" should never be the response to why you discharged a firearm.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Obviously, the toy truck had the officer rattled. I mean, after what happened in Nice and all. (Blue font)

The words "I don't know" should never be the response to why you discharged a firearm.
Part of his answer should have been "Because I had my finger through the trigger guard, on the trigger, with the safety off." Dumb...

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
My initial thought was that the cop did not mean to fire but had too much pressure on the trigger. The article mentioned 3 shots so this doesn't hold much water unless he had an auto, maybe set on a 3-round burst. If the cop meant to shoot, I'm guessing he was aiming at the guy sitting up with the "weapon" in his hand. I still can't (don't want to) believe he intended to fire.

Another thing that really puts these situation on edge is when a report comes in that someone is brandishing a gun and cops are sent there with this in mind.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
My initial thought was that the cop did not mean to fire but had too much pressure on the trigger. The article mentioned 3 shots so this doesn't hold much water unless he had an auto, maybe set on a 3-round burst. If the cop meant to shoot, I'm guessing he was aiming at the guy sitting up with the "weapon" in his hand. I still can't (don't want to) believe he intended to fire.

Another thing that really puts these situation on edge is when a report comes in that someone is brandishing a gun and cops are sent there with this in mind.
Intended or not, he should be fired.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I can pretty much guarantee there isn't a street cop on any police force in the US that carries a pistol that's anything other than semiautomatic.

No excuse. Sorry, just doesn't matter. I don't care if he's scared, on edge, if his wife just left him, or his stomach is upset from bad sushi - if he can't control his emotions (and firearm) better than this, police work isn't for him.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I can pretty much guarantee there isn't a street cop on any police force in the US that carries a pistol that's anything other than semiautomatic.

No excuse. Sorry, just doesn't matter. I don't care if he's scared, on edge, if his wife just left him, or his stomach is upset from bad sushi - if he can't control his emotions (and firearm) better than this, police work isn't for him.
This is correct. Theoretically, such a gun could be bought by the military or law enforcement, but it's pretty useless because of muzzle bounce. Even if he tried, he couldn't have hit the victim three times. He had to bring the muzzle back down each time, which means deliberation. A brain fart is my guess...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.