Anyone here have spinal fusion surgery?

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Background: I've had somewhat debilitating back pain for about 10 years. Typically, I can get around fairly well for short periods of time, but I can't jog for any distance, can't pick up my grandkids, can't sit in a chair like a normal person for any length of time, can stand or walk for more than an hour without having to lie down. I drive 12 miles to work every day, but my wife drives if we go anywhere together, while I take the passenger seat and recline as much as possible.

I've been seen by a well-respected neurosurgeon who said he saw nothing he could fix. He recommended me a pain management center. Last October I began receiving lumbar epidural steroid injections. Two injections, one week apart. The first series alleviated about 75% of my pain, and seemed like a miracle, at the time and lasted about 2 months. Unfortunately, I've had two more series of injections, each series less effective than the last.

So, I just went to another doc who says he sees the problem and wants to fuse L4/L5. Says this surgery has about an 80% chance of being "effective". For the surgery he could go in through the back, or could go in through the front (allows them to make the strongest fusion). He says I should be able to return to my desk job after about 3 weeks.

My question is for those who have faced a similar situation. Did you decline the surgery? Did you have an L4/L5 fusion? What was your experience?

Thanks for any thoughts you can share.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Background: I've had somewhat debilitating back pain for about 10 years. Typically, I can get around fairly well for short periods of time, but I can't jog for any distance, can't pick up my grandkids, can't sit in a chair like a normal person for any length of time, can stand or walk for more than an hour without having to lie down. I drive 12 miles to work every day, but my wife drives if we go anywhere together, while I take the passenger seat and recline as much as possible.

I've been seen by a well-respected neurosurgeon who said he saw nothing he could fix. He recommended me a pain management center. Last October I began receiving lumbar epidural steroid injections. Two injections, one week apart. The first series alleviated about 75% of my pain, and seemed like a miracle, at the time and lasted about 2 months. Unfortunately, I've had two more series of injections, each series less effective than the last.

So, I just went to another doc who says he sees the problem and wants to fuse L4/L5. Says this surgery has about an 80% chance of being "effective". For the surgery he could go in through the back, or could go in through the front (allows them to make the strongest fusion). He says I should be able to return to my desk job after about 3 weeks.

My question is for those who have faced a similar situation. Did you decline the surgery? Did you have an L4/L5 fusion? What was your experience?

Thanks for any thoughts you can share.
didn't have fusion but had "discectomy" of l4/l5 and l5/s1 which has helped me out immensely. had the surgery 15 years ago after about 4 years of similar stuff to what you mentioned. i also did the steroid injections. the first one helped for a few days, the second, for a couple of days, the third did nada and the doc refused to do any more and recommended surgery.

i wish you the best of luck.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Exactly what is the problem? degenerating disc?

I've had the discectomey that 92tide mentioned. I was dealing with massive sciatic nerve pain due to a partially ruptured disc. One surgery in 1999, another about 3 years later (after the disc ruptured again) that cleaned out more disc crap, scar tissue, and bone spurs. Relatively little pain since. I do have a lot of arthritis in my spine, which causes issues of its own, but very little sciatic pain.

If it makes you feel any better, Michael Collins, the Apollo 11 Command Module Pilot, had a cervical fusion a year before Apollo 11. (Seems appropriate given that yesterday was, among other things, the anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing. ;) ) My dad also had the cervical fusion as well, with no ill effects.

I don't know if anyone who's had a lumbar fusion. I've also hear of a surgery to replace the disc--which I might be interested in if only to recover the inch in height I lost thanks to two degenerated discs.

Last edited:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
No experience with spinal surgery but just wanted to say I am sorry you are in pain and I hope whatever you choose works for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Well, not quite, but.................

Around this time, last year, Mrs. Cuda had an L5/S1 fusion performed. She had a Grade IV separation, which means under 1 inch. They took out L5, and replaced it.

Her pain is gone. She was in more pain than she ever (previously) admitted to me. She had been suffering for almost 30 years, and it got to the point she might lose the use of her right leg, if things were not corrected.

She grew that 3/4" or so back, when they re-aligned her spine. Pain gone. Long recovery, though. The big problem was no anti-inflammatory drugs, for the year. (Some of my doctor buddies say to never use them, but that is another story for another day.)

Not sure that is much help. If you lived in Texas, I know who I could send you to, in order to get another opinion.

In case you are wondering............they went in through the front. Came around to the back, to set some screws. There wasn't much there to anchor the screws, but they got it done.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.