They Should Know Better than to let Paul Ryan do a Photo Op

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Re: They Should Know Better than to Lt Paul Ryan do a Photo Op

I generally try to ignore a person's race. There was this fellow who once said we should be "a nation where [people] will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."
I believe interns are all volunteers, so unless Democrats want Republicans to go out and draft minority interns, I guess they are stuck with those that apply. Applicants are a self-selecting group. If you don't apply to be an intern with a Republican congressman, you can't be selected. (Carlos Vera points out that internships are mostly unpaid and minorities can't afford to take a summer off of working and afford to live in DC. The Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute pays for Hispanic interns, which are available to "promising Latino undergraduate students." So who is excluding whom on the basis of race?
Or maybe the unstated allegation is that Republicans are behind the scenes only selecting white interns out of race prejudice. If so, I'd have to see the files of applicants to compare the white selectees and the black non-selectees. And of course, I'd bet Republicans would prefer an African-American over a white one, ceteris paribus, if for no other reason than to avoid this awkward situation.
The state of Alabama is 72% white and 26% black. The Crimson Tide football team is as close to a meritocracy as one will find in the state. Would anybody like to see the team be more representative of the demographics of the state, rather than selecting, and starting, the best available athlete, regardless of skin color? (For the record, I'd prefer Coach Saban do what he is doing, recruiting and playing the players that give the team the best chance to win, regardless of skin color).

Last edited:

KentuckianaBFan

All-SEC
Jan 26, 2011
Lakeland, FL, 2018
echoaffiliate.com

I generally try to ignore a person's race. There was this fellow who once said we should be "a nation where [people] will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character."
I believe interns are all volunteers, so unless Democrats want Republicans to go out and draft minority interns, I guess they are stuck with those that apply. Applicants are a self-selecting group. If you don't apply to be an intern with a Republican congressman, you can't be selected. (Carlos Vera points out that internships are mostly unpaid and minorities can afford to take a summer off of working and afford to live in DC. The Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute pays for Hispanic interns, which are available to "promising Latino undergraduate students." So who is excluding whom on the basis of race?
Or maybe the unstated allegation is that Republicans are behind the scenes only selecting white interns out of race prejudice. If so, I'd have to see the files of applicants to compare. And of course, I'd bet Republicans would prefer an African-American over a white one, ceteris paribus, if for no other reason than to avoid this awkward situation.
The state of Alabama is 72% white and 26% black. The Crimson Tide football team is as close to a meritocracy as one will find in the state. Would anybody like to see the team be more representative of the demographics of the state, rather than selecting, and starting, the best available athlete, regardless of skin color? (For the record, I'd prefer Coach Saban do what he is doing, recruiting and playing the players that give the team the best chance to win, regardless of skin color).

You are SO upsetting the narrative!

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

And the worst possible Muslims- MILLENNIAL Muslims [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
strutting around in their blue jeans and duck tail haircuts listening to rock and roll music. they're just causing trouble

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Come on TW! Lighten up. Get a servile puppy!!:) Are you sure interns are "self selecting"? I think not.
No, the people who decide to become applicants are self-selecting.
The interns are selected from the applicants.
Or, stated conversely, how many people who did not apply were selected as interns?

The process goes like this:
A quality black applicant wants to secure an internship in the House, because this is the path to a job on Capitol Hill, and possibly a future elected position.
Same applicant hears Republicans are racists, so she does not apply with Republican members, opting to apply with internships with Democrat members. When interns are chosen, voila, all the quality black applicants are selected by Democrats, and none are selected by Republicans. Instant racism and folks like 666 trot out the photo to prove it.

I checked my Representative's web page for his internship application. The application does not ask about race. It asks for the name, name of the school, major, academic supervisor, academic year, things like that. They have no way of knowing the race of an applicant (which I think is closer to MLK's ideal than selecting applicants by race, which the Congressional Black Caucus and the CHCI internship programs do).
An internship, as Mr. Vera pointed out above, is pricey, but I'd bet student loans can cover those expenses.
So, can I chalk you up as one of those that wants to see 72% of the Alabama football team starters be white players, even if they do not give the team the best chance to win? I'd rather the best players start, regardless of race, but I'm a liberal, not a leftist.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

So what explains the lack of diversity among Republican members' interns in your book?

In Congressman Bob Forehead's office, they are reviewing applications of prospective interns.
The office manager looks at one file, that of Tyroil Smoochie-Wallace, Poli Sci major from Howard with a 4.0 GPA, varsity letterman, president of the Howard University SGA.
The office manager tells Rep. Forehard "We have a file that looks pretty good, but..."
"What?" asks Rep. Forehead.
The office manager pauses for a second, "I think he's [whispering] black."
"Ew," says the white chick from Ole Miss, who is already working in the office.
"Don't we have any other applicants?" asks Forehead.
"Yes, we have Eugene Terreblanche, groundskeeping major from Auburn with a 1.98 GPA and only one prior arrest."
Rep. Forehead responds, "Let's take him."

Do we chalk up the lack of diversity in GOP office interns to something like this?

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

So what explains the lack of diversity among Republican members' interns in your book?

In Congressman Bob Forehead's office, they are reviewing applications of prospective interns.
The office manager looks at one file, that of Tyroil Smoochie-Wallace, Poli Sci major from Howard with a 4.0 GPA, varsity letterman, president of the Howard University SGA.
The office manager tells Rep. Forehard "We have a file that looks pretty good, but..."
"Yes, we have Eugene Terreblanche, groundskeeping major from Auburn with a 1.98 GPA and only one prior arrest."

Do we chalk up the lack of diversity in GOP office interns to something like this?
You can if you want, though I doubt the Aub's GPA is that high.

It might have something to do with the GOPs rampant gerrymandering of districts.

It might be because, as you suggested, that blacks, for SOME reason, don't feel wanted in GOP circles.

It might be that Paul Ryan's dog managed to piddle on all the applications of people of color.

Or it might be something else.

Regardless of why, the fact that remains that when you are ramping up for an election with stakes as high as this one, an election in which racial concerns will play a major part, it is brain-dead stupid to post such a whitebread pic--it is not the image that the GOP needs to present right now. Ryan: "Here. Take this club--white oak, naturally--and beat me with it, please."

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

You can if you want, though I doubt the Aub's GPA is that high.

It might have something to do with the GOPs rampant gerrymandering of districts.

It might be because, as you suggested, that blacks, for SOME reason, don't feel wanted in GOP circles.

It might be that Paul Ryan's dog managed to piddle on all the applications of people of color.

Or it might be something else.

Regardless of why, the fact that remains that when you are ramping up for an election with stakes as high as this one, an election in which racial concerns will play a major part, it is brain-dead stupid to post such a whitebread pic--it is not the image that the GOP needs to present right now. Ryan: "Here. Take this club--white oak, naturally--and beat me with it, please."
there is one black person in the photo. in the upper right hand quadrant.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.

No, he's just trying to create a new one.
Yes, ethnic diversity is a bonum per se, but diversity of opinions is scary, not to be tolerated.

Boo! (Scared you a little bit, didn't I?)

Having been to the multicultural paradise that is the former Yugoslavia, I assert the reverse hierarchy: ethnic diversity is unimportant, something to be deliberately unnoticed and diversity of opinions is necessary to a vibrant free society.

Then again, I'm a liberal, not a leftist.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

Yes, ethnic diversity is a bonum per se, but diversity of opinions is scary, not to be tolerated.

Having been to the multicultural paradise that is the former Yugoslavia, I assert the reverse hierarchy: ethnic diversity is unimportant, something to be deliberately unnoticed and diversity of opinions is necessary to a vibrant free society.

Then again, I'm a liberal, not a leftist.
it is a tragedy that you are not allowed to freely share your differing opinions with others.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins

Odd, I was under the impression that ethnic diversity helped foster diversity of opinion.

Uh, no. And no, I won't pull your finger, either.

You are free to make that assertion, though I'm not sure that your Yugoslavian experience grants you ultimate authority. As for myself, I believe there's a link between ethnic diversity and diversity of opinion, just as there is a link between gender diversity and diversity of opinion.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL

That is no more absurd than thinking of all the people that likely applied there is only one black republican undergrad or graduate student that could qualify to be an intern for Paul Ryan.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL

That is no more absurd than thinking of all the people that likely applied there is only one black republican undergrad or graduate student that could qualify to be an intern for Paul Ryan.
As absurd as assuming that the applications were rejected, rather than not submitted?

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.