Munich shooting: Police operation underway, report says several killed at mall

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
Going to take a while for this to get teased out. It's beginning to look like it all started out as an argument between the shooter and some other residents. The dialog was so obscene I can't even print the German here. However, in the dialog, apparently with Turks, he calls them dirty Turks and he does claim to be German, born in the Harz region. He says he was bullied seven years because of them and it's because of them he's had to buy a weapon. The other guy (Turk?) says he doesn't have weapon and keeps calling him the AH name. Then shooting breaks out. This was from a video/audio transcript, so errors have to allowed for. There are also some reports of another shooter, dressed differently, FWIW...
It looks like this one is going to probably be more complicated and unique than the other recent European shootings. Mostly because of the race the shooter is, and the supposed dialogue involved in the attack doesn't seem to indicate an ISIS affiliation (even though I question if most the recent attacks are "truly" ISIS affiliated attacks, or more of a justification for the shooters and a PR grab for ISIS). It more seems a Persian got mad at group of Turks( or Turkish sympathizers?), and it went from there. I agree we probably should let more details come out on this one, but it is more seeming more of a revenge killing than this elaborate terrorist attack that we have seen in France. But again its too early to say since the Germans are a little stricter on releasing information than the French.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
It looks like this one is going to probably be more complicated and unique than the other recent European shootings. Mostly because of the race the shooter is, and the supposed dialogue involved in the attack doesn't seem to indicate an ISIS affiliation (even though I question if most the recent attacks are "truly" ISIS affiliated attacks, or more of a justification for the shooters and a PR grab for ISIS). It more seems a Persian got mad at group of Turks( or Turkish sympathizers?), and it went from there. I agree we probably should let more details come out on this one, but it is more seeming more of a revenge killing than this elaborate terrorist attack that we have seen in France. But again its too early to say since the Germans are a little stricter on releasing information than the French.
I tend to agree. This is exactly the question I was trying to raise with regard to the Bastille Day massacre and I still tend to take the "rapid radicalization" hypothesis with a grain of salt. I'm not sure that every psychiatric ticking time bomb who decides to yell "allahu akbar" before he offs a bunch of people is a "terrorist" in the classic sense. I do recognize the argument that "instant salvation" could be a problem, but, if the dialog reported is accurate, this guy was goaded by having the the fact he had a weapon denied, while being called unprintable (and untranslatable) names, basically dared to shoot. It's not even settled yet that he shouted the slogan before shooting and the initial victims were at least nominal Muslims themselves. It's also interesting that there is a long history of antipathy between Turks and Iranians...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
read this on the bbc site this morning.

he gunman who killed nine people in Munich was obsessed with mass shootings and had an obvious link to Norwegian mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik, German police say.
Police who searched the 18-year-old's room say they found written material on attacks.
The gunman, who later killed himself, had a 9mm Glock pistol and 300 bullets.
Police are investigating whether he may have lured his victims through a Facebook invitation to a restaurant.
He is suspected of using a fake account under a girl's name to invite people to the McDonald's restaurant where he launched his attack.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
read this on the bbc site this morning.
This is from a source in Germany and confirms that. Sorry for the font...
Munich shooting: Teenage killer Ali Sonboly 'inspired by far-right terrorist Anders Breivik' and 'used Facebook offer of free McDonald's food to lure victims'

• Gunman Ali Sonboly used Facebook account to lure victim with offer of free food
  • He was described by police as a "depressed" loner receiving psychiatric treatment
  • He kept stash of books about shooting rampages in his bedroom - police
  • Authorities say "obvious link" between Munich shooter and 2011 Norway massacre

The 18-year-old German-Iranian man who opened fire in a crowded Munich shopping mall and a nearby McDonald's,killing nine people and wounding 16 others before killing himself, has been named in reports as Ali Sonboly.

Posing as a teenage girl called 'Selina Akim', Sonboly is thought to have used messages posted on a fake Facebook account to lure young victims to their death with fraudulent offers of free food just hours before his murderous rampage began.

Police gave a "cautious all clear" early on Saturday morning, more than seven hours after the attack began, and brought much of the city to a standstill as all public transit systems were shut down amid a massive manhunt. They said a body found near the scene was that of the shooter and he appeared to have acted alone.

Munich police chief Hubertus Andrae told a news conference the suspect was a dual citizen from Munich and his motive was still "fully unclear".

Mr Andrae said the suspect's body was found about 2 1/2 hours after the attack and was identified to be the shooter based on witness statements and closed circuit television footage of the attack. He was not previously known to police and there was no evidence of any links to terrorist organisations, Mr Andrae said.

Witnesses had reported seeing three men with firearms near the Olympia Einkaufszentrum mall. However, the police chief said two people who fled the area quickly were investigated but had "nothing to do with the incident".

Mr Andrae said the nine fatalities included young people and children were among the 16 wounded, three of whom were in critical condition.​

81usaf92

TideFans Legend
Apr 26, 2008
South Alabama
This is from a source in Germany and confirms that. Sorry for the font...
[/INDENT]
This makes a lot more sense. When his race was identified and some of the dialogue about Turks were posted, I thought this might be more of a domestic issue than a Syrian migrant or ISIS affiliated issue.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Going to take a while for this to get teased out. It's beginning to look like it all started out as an argument between the shooter and some other residents. The dialog was so obscene I can't even print the German here. However, in the dialog, apparently with Turks, he calls them dirty Turks and he does claim to be German, born in the Harz region. He says he was bullied seven years because of them and it's because of them he's had to buy a weapon. The other guy (Turk?) says he doesn't have weapon and keeps calling him the AH name. Then shooting breaks out. This was from a video/audio transcript, so errors have to allowed for. There are also some reports of another shooter, dressed differently, FWIW...
So maybe he killed a bunch of Turks? If so, win/win.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
This makes a lot more sense. When his race was identified and some of the dialogue about Turks were posted, I thought this might be more of a domestic issue than a Syrian migrant or ISIS affiliated issue.
So far, the lesson seem to be - if someone says they have a weapon, they may, so it's probably best not to call them an AH and masturbator...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.