Link: WNBA cracking down on social activism by players during/pre games. Agree or disagree?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Buzz, to me this says far more about you than about the events or places you choose to visit.
I say that because I used to have an attitude just like yours. But I digress...
Frankly I'm surprised that a Southern gentleman such as yourself doesn't realize that southern events, including dining out, are as much about the socializing as they are about the actual events or the food being served.
Relax and smile. You never know who you're going to meet or whomever else shares your own interests in life.
Trust me on this. You'll enjoy yourself more and your food will taste a whole lot better.
I don't think we're talking about the same thing to be honest. I like to chew the fat and socialize as much as anybody. What I'm talking about has nothing to do with southern culture or etiquette. I'm well versed in that.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I feel the same way about this as I do about actors and musicians who share more of their beliefs than I care to hear about....

I'd rather not know your thoughts about controversial subjects....

No more than you would want to see me wear a shirt that says "Chick Basketball Sucks!"

Last edited:

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I don't think we're talking about the same thing to be honest. I like to chew the fat and socialize as much as anybody. What I'm talking about has nothing to do with southern culture or etiquette. I'm well versed in that.
The only thing I can say there is that maybe you can think up generalized excuse that will help you avoid the topic of conversation. Or maybe even feign an inability to hear or speak.
No one is going to attempt to talk to someone who can't join in the conversation.
Otherwise, there's not a whole lot you can do about the planned program at some events. You just ave to go with the flow and ignore those parts with which you disagree.

As to the political agenda folks, I like to say things to them that will get them hopping mad.
For instance: If a transgendered person (say, a male) wanted to enter the ladies bathroom, I'd block his entrance telling him he will have to wait until my 2 young daughters come out. (In reality both my daughters are grown and have families of their own,) Then I'd make him wait, and wait, and finally, I'd just walk off leaving him wondering what was going on.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
http://espn.go.com/wnba/story/_/id/17129128/wnba-president-talks-fining-players-warmup-shirts

I don't know how others feel but when I go to a sporting event, concert, eating establishment etc. I go for the purpose the event or establishment was/is intended for. If I go to a concert, I go for the music and the entertainment associated with the music. If I go to a sporting event, I go for the sporting event between two teams playing to win the game. If I go to an eating establishment. I go for the enjoyment of the food and the experience associated with the food.

What I don't do, or should I say don't like to do, is pay to go to an event only to have as part of the event (sometimes a big part of the event) a political or religious component of it. The Tim Tebow fiasco irritated me as much as it did many non Christians. My wife and I used to frequent a local restaurant many years ago. We loved the restaurant. It had great food, great service and great atmosphere......unless the owner just happened to be there and as he walked around making sure his customers were having a good time he would constantly get into discussions about political stuff. If he walked up to your table, in asking you how your food and service was you had better be prepared for him to turn the conversation into "what do you think about" (insert hot political topic at the time). We didn't like it because that's not why we went. So we stopped going. Hadn't been back in years. It closed about ten years ago. Not sure why but apart of me wonders if others stop going for the same reasons we did.

I know many involved in sports say it is their obligation to use their platform to facilitate change in social areas of our society. Which I don't have a problem with. Do it outside the event/the game. I didn't pay $125 (or whatever the average ticket prices are now days) to come to a sporting event/concert to have political agendas pushed on me. It's a major turn off.
Buzz, to me this says far more about you than about the events or places you choose to visit.
I say that because I used to have an attitude just like yours. But I digress...
Frankly I'm surprised that a Southern gentleman such as yourself doesn't realize that southern events, including dining out, are as much about the socializing as they are about the actual events or the food being served.
Relax and smile. You never know who you're going to meet or whomever else shares your own interests in life.
Trust me on this. You'll enjoy yourself more and your food will taste a whole lot better.
I'm with Buzz and the WNBA on this. I'll listen to an actor or a singer or an athlete talk about how they do what they do all day long. It's fascinating to me how true virtuosos do their thing.

But I don't want to hear what they think about politics or nuclear power or gun control or post-partum anti-depression medication, or home schooling or the advisability of childhood immunization or anything else. Generally speaking, they're not terribly well informed, and almost never give thought to the downstream consequences of their advocacy.

As just one example of a zillion out there, where is Sean Penn's loud mouth now that his buddy Hugo Chavez has turned the Venezuelan economy into one of the worst in the world?

I pay a lot of money to hear or see their best talent. I don't waste their time or money or that of their audience yammering my [decidedly uninformed] opinion about the fine points of Shakespeare, or how DeNiro played Travis Bickle, or whether Bruce Springsteen is a better working man's hero than Bob Seger, or the best way to defend Steph Curry.

All I ask is that, in exchange for me willingly giving them my money, they show the same respect for me.

If they don't want to do so, there's a fix for that. Ask Natalie Maines and the other two Dixie Chicks (or maybe Buzz's erstwhile restauranteur) how that works.

Last edited:

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I'm with Buzz and the WNBA on this. I'll listen to an actor or a singer or an athlete talk about how they do what they do all day long. It's fascinating to me how true virtuosos do their thing.

But I don't want to hear what they think about politics or nuclear power or gun control or post-partum anti-depression medication, or home schooling or the advisability of childhood immunization or anything else. Generally speaking, they're not terribly well informed, and almost never give thought to the downstream consequences of their advocacy.

As just one example of a zillion out there, where is Sean Penn's loud mouth now that his buddy Hugo Chavez has turned the Venezuelan economy into one of the worst in the world?

I pay a lot of money to hear or see their best talent. I don't waste their time or money or that of their audience yammering my [decidedly uninformed] opinion about the fine points of Shakespeare, or how DeNiro played Travis Bickle, or whether Bruce Springsteen is a better working man's hero than Bob Seger, or the best way to defend Steph Curry.

All I ask is that, in exchange for me willingly giving them my money, they show the same respect for me.

If they don't want to do so, there's a fix for that. Ask Natalie Maines and the other two Dixie Chicks (or maybe Buzz's erstwhile restauranteur) how that works.
In that light, I agree. If I go to a concert, I want to hear the artist(s) perform, not express their political views.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
LOL, it's the WNBA - outside of the five fans does anyone care?

If it's a more general question, then yes, I believe businesses should focus on the business their clients want, not their current views on politics, social justice, etc.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
Wait... The WNBA still exists? I thought this sinking ship was cancelled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I don't think I've flip-flopped. The OP was stated in a vague manner and I took it in a way it wasn't intended.
When the specifics became more clear I was able to give a better opinion.
He's not talking about your opinion. He's talking about the WNBA has flipped flopped on their original stance of fining players for political expressions during pre game via shirts etc.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I read somewhere a police union refused to work security for a WNBA team because players were wearing BLM shirts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Yeah, the entire crew walked out leaving the game with no security for the game which I'm sure caused the WNBA to be in breach of some sort of insurance requirement.
That was probably the big problem. The head of the union pretty much ordered the guys not to work the games and they didn't want to have to rely on private, less trained security. If the cops hadn't quit, the WNBA probably doesn't bat a eye.

And the WNBA dies years ago if the NBA isn't absorbing the losses just to make them look PC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I thought it was pretty funny how the NBA was running commercials for NWBA. NBA players claiming how much they love them some women's basketball.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.