Question: Anyone been to The Grove at Ole Miss?

tattooguy21

Suspended
Aug 14, 2012
So, I decided to get the wife tickets for the Ole Miss game for her bday. We usually attend all the home games and big away games but this year, we're going to take it easy with just the USC, Ole Miss, and Auburn (and hopefully offseason) games.

I've never been to The Grove so I was looking for any info anyone had about that. The BIG question is, where can I view the games afterwards that will be showing something OTHER than SEC games (and isn't BWW)? Trying to see the following spectacles....

[FONT=&quot]MSU vs ND
OSUe vs OU
USC vs Northwestern.

We've both got the watchespn app, so if all else fails, we'll watch what we have to on our phones. We'd rather be able to hit a place with lots o' tvs and food. Any suggestions/recommendations are welcome.

[/FONT]

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Mrs. Basket Case and I went for the first and only time in 1999. So my experience is old.

At that time, it was everything I'd heard. Chandeliers, chafing dishes, servers, beautiful women, and gracious hosts. I'm still glad I went.

The rest of the experience was subpar. Obnoxious fans with no reason to be so. Had a 12-year-old, who didn't look like he wanted for much, tell us we needed to go home. Mouthiness outside the stadium, and I go out of my way not to run my own mouth on the road. Other than wearing the colors in what I thought was a tasteful manner, I didn't do anything to provoke these guys. You'd have had the impression they'd won something since Eisenhower was president.

With the success they've had against us lately (I know, I know...) I'd expect some condescension.

The Grove was the highlight. The rest of the game day experience was of a rude and entitled fanbase who have no reason to be either. I had a far better experience with LSU fans prior to the 2011 BCSNCG in New Orleans. Fortunately, we won both games.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006
Just a bunch of trees and some grass. Way too small for the number of people that try to cram in there. A very overrated gameday experience followed by watching the game in a high school like stadium. If you live in Alabama, run to your car after the game and don't stop until at least Tupelo.

gtowntide

All-American
Mar 1, 2011
Memphis,TN.
My take is it's way overrated too. It's basically like a park with lots of trees. I think it's where the OM fans go to drink after the game. It'll be rockin this year since they won the last two. You'll see a lot of drunk frat boys acting a fool.

AlBamaWagg

1st Team
Jan 3, 2007
Mt Juliet, Tn
4Q. With regard to the 12 year old, it's traditional after the game, if they won, to do that. While it doesn't happen often, it has been good spirited in my experience. Two years ago several different frats told my granddaughter things like, "you're beautiful, but you have to go" or "it's a shame I can't keep you, but ...", and to the grown ups "hope you had a good time, but ..." . All done with smiles. With that said, I hope I never have to hear it again.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I was there for the Auburn game in 2014 (my father and I are traveling to see every SEC stadium together), so my experience isn't one of an opposing fan of the game that day. That said, I've some OM friends who invited us to join their spot and it was amazing - far better than we've seen at most of the other SEC schools.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
I was there for the Auburn game in 2014 (my father and I are traveling to see every SEC stadium together), so my experience isn't one of an opposing fan of the game that day. That said, I've some OM friends who invited us to join their spot and it was amazing - far better than we've seen at most of the other SEC schools.
Thx, CA. I've been multiple times, both when they played my Tide and when they played someone else. mrs. exiled & I enjoy it, though it is crowded. (We're going to the UM-UGA game this year, although exiled, jr. has to work)
We've had largely pleasant fan interactions before & after. Of course, we cheat; exiled, jr. is a 2x Ole Miss grad who knows all the trails & paths around campus, including the ones to the tent up in "the circle" he & his buddies do (just across the st from the Grove). Also, he's a pretty big guy, unlike his Dad; thus, we might be benefitting from the "don't want none of that young guy" effect. :) I'd definitely recommend securing an invite from a Rebel friend if you have any of those. That way you'll have a base camp.

Every single fanbase has its share of drunken jerks before & after games--including Bama where mrs. exiled & I got our 4 degrees. Sadly, it goes with the territory of attending a college football game anywhere, including Tuscaloosa. At my age of "old" (1st game as a college student was in Fall, 1977!), I have developed a fairly good ability to smirk condescendingly at such jack-donkey-ness and then move on.

Enjoy!
exiled
p.s. - mrs. exiled & I are on a quest to attend a game in every SEC stadium--this was her idea, which is reason #9,784 I know I married VERY well! :biggrin2: We purposely do not pick a game where our Tide is the opponent. That way, we can enjoy the sociology of the event without being "Tiger bait" or "Gator bait" or whatever.

DollarTaker

Suspended
Jul 17, 2015
Destin, FL
Unless you have friends that are ole miss fans that you can hang out in the tents with or with people they know, its really not worth going to. Its more of a "see what I have and you don't atmosphere".

wishbonedays

1st Team
Mar 30, 2003
Hanceville, AL, USA
www.wfl1974.com
I've been twice...both times were a good experience...nothing to be overly gushy about, but it was quite fun, especially since our hosts were longtime friends who were Ole Miss fans, who sorta showed us the ropes, so to speak...I don't recall one cross word from anyone, even though Ole Miss lost both times we were there...even during the 2007 nail-biter...we loved it, but getting out to find another venue will take some time, so if you are short on patience, you will not be happy.

Drewy26

1st Team
Aug 16, 2008
Montgomery, AL
I think the key is to have an invite to hang out at a tent. We had one and had a blast two years ago (until the end of the game that is.) I can see how just walking through and looking at other people partying would be a drag.

Zorak

All-American
Jan 8, 2010
Orlando, FL (Winter Park area)
The key is, as others have said, is to have friends who have a tent. For much of my time in Oxford (2007-2011), I lived within walking distance of the Grove and always had friends who would invite me to their tents. (My old boss's tent was, and likely still is, near the front of the Walk of Champions, on the right side looking toward the library--very elaborately decorated). If Bama was playing, I was of course decked out in Bama gear, but in the tents I was always treated well as a visiting fan and had my fill of food and drink. I got heckled some outside the tents, but whatever, part of the experience (as a visiting fan wherever you go really). That being said, I went one time with my wife to a game (Bama/OM in 2011) and she wasn't impressed with the Grove.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Unless you have friends that are ole miss fans that you can hang out in the tents with or with people they know, its really not worth going to. Its more of a "see what I have and you don't atmosphere".
The key is, as others have said, is to have friends who have a tent. For much of my time in Oxford (2007-2011), I lived within walking distance of the Grove and always had friends who would invite me to their tents. (My old boss's tent was, and likely still is, near the front of the Walk of Champions, on the right side looking toward the library--very elaborately decorated). If Bama was playing, I was of course decked out in Bama gear, but in the tents I was always treated well as a visiting fan and had my fill of food and drink. I got heckled some outside the tents, but whatever, part of the experience (as a visiting fan wherever you go really). That being said, I went one time with my wife to a game (Bama/OM in 2011) and she wasn't impressed with the Grove.
I agree, but that is probably the key to enjoying tailgating at any rival fan venue. I went to see Bama play OM in 2009 (which turned out to be a great year!) and my sister and I tailgated in an OM tent that had a very sweet set-up. They were good hosts before and after the game.

One of the Rebs favorite sayings is "We might not win the game but we always win the party."

It was a fun experience but I think the atmosphere on and around the quad at Alabama is even better!!! :BigA:

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
Been there and done that. Was not overly impressed with the grove. It was a nice setting but just way too crowded to really enjoy. Had a good time at the game as BAMA won and didn't have any issues with the Ole Sissy fans.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Been there and done that. Was not overly impressed with the grove. It was a nice setting but just way too crowded to really enjoy. Had a good time at the game as BAMA won and didn't have any issues with the Ole Sissy fans.
I agree I will add though it would be alot more fun for a single man because the talent level from the ladies is very impressive.

Zorak

All-American
Jan 8, 2010
Orlando, FL (Winter Park area)
The only time I had an issue was after the 2007 Bama game there. I was sitting in the club seating--South Endzone Club?, I forget now--and of course decked out in Bama gear (wasn't the only one). Immediately after the ending to the game, some Ole Miss fan told me what I and Alabama could do to ourselves. The folks I was with, however, immediately apologized to me, and back at the grove didn't hear a nasty word, just some disagreement with the receiver out of bounds call...then offering me a drink.

I agree I will add though it would be alot more fun for a single man because the talent level from the ladies is very impressive.
Heh, most of my time in Oxford I was a single man, maybe that's why I always had a great experience.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
The Grove used to be pretty unique with its centralized tailgating, but now that tailgating is allowed on the Quad and many other locations it is not exactly earth shattering.

That being said, I had a good time there, but you will have more fun if you know some people in one of the tents.

ingramk

BamaNation Citizen
May 15, 2006
Birmingham, AL
I've been to Ole Miss many times with my first trip back in 1992 and they cussed us and threw bottles at us; even cutting an elderly lady's head in the stands below us by throwing a glass bottle. I've been to every SEC Stadium minus the two newly added schools and that was the only time I have ever felt somewhat afraid after the game walking back to the car. All other visits were much better as I have friends that are Ole Miss Fans/Grads that I hang out with in the Grove and most of there friends are pretty nice but not overly.... they do not like Alabama just like all the other schools in the USofA. The Grove is really cool but as mentioned very crowded just like the Quad!! Their stadium is small but they have a beautiful field and you can see very well from almost any seat in the house. I've never been over there when we lost so most of the fans afterwards are pretty obnoxious. Was it 09 or 10 that we beat them on a controversial play and all the of the student section threw their shoes on the field. There was a really nice pair of red hills I started to run there and get!!!! It is def more fun than going to MS State!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.