Tuition cost when I was in school.....

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I found an old tuition receipt in a drawer at my grandparents from the 80s for Alabama. $300 for the semester. You can't even buy books for $300 anymore.

When I was in school (not very long ago at all) in-state went from ~$3500 a semester to $4000. Not including fees and everything. Out of state was $10,000 a semester. Now I think in-state is up to $4,250 a semester.

Student-body has also increased from ~25,000 my freshman year (I think it was like a 5,000 increase from the previous year or so) to dang near 40,000 today. Tuscaloosa is bursting at the seams.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
I found an old tuition receipt in a drawer at my grandparents from the 80s for Alabama. $300 for the semester. You can't even buy books for $300 anymore.

When I was in school (not very long ago at all) in-state went from ~$3500 a semester to $4000. Not including fees and everything. Out of state was $10,000 a semester. Now I think in-state is up to $4,250 a semester.

Student-body has also increased from ~25,000 my freshman year (I think it was like a 5,000 increase from the previous year or so) to dang near 40,000 today. Tuscaloosa is bursting at the seams.

I went to the homecoming game last year after not going to Tuscaloosa for a few years. I got lost driving on campus and ended up on River Road. I don't recognize the place, certainly doesn't feel like the same place I went to school.

I seem to recall paying ~1800 a semester for out of state in 1993

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA

i was at bama 87-92. i remember that tuition and fees were roughly in the 600-800 level (may have been a bit less in the first couple of years) and textbooks were usually $200-300 depending on the courses i was taking.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
First semester at Bama, tuition was $348/semester in state full time (i.e. 12 or more semester hours).

I would bet that tuition is a bubble and will burst in the not too distant future. Young people cannot continue to accumulate debt at this rate and schools cannot continue to increase costs like money is a limitless commodity.

Last edited:

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa

$300 might get you one calculus book

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I was at Bama 1957-1963. Y'all don't wanna know what it was. However, many are forgetting the inflation factor...
True, but I believe tuition has outpaced inflation.
Virginia has a struggle with all her state schools over the number of in-state students. If Va Tech administrators (and probably those at UVa and W&M as well), the number of instaters would be very small. It is a lot more lucrative to bring in out-of-staters. The legislature has to hold the state schools' feet to the fire and ensure they admit a percentage of Virginians. I suspect the same goes on in Tuscaloosa (the Barn, too, but who in their right mind wants to go to a cow college?)

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I don't remember how much tuition was. I went to a Catholic HS and I do remember my mom commenting that my tuition for HS was more than it would have been for college. I had a scholarship and she felt like she won the lottery. I tried to argue that since she didn't have to pay for college, she should buy me a car. :biggrin2: That went over like a lead balloon. :frown:

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I don't remember how much tuition was. I went to a Catholic HS and I do remember my mom commenting that my tuition for HS was more than it would have been for college. I had a scholarship and she felt like she won the lottery. I tried to argue that since she didn't have to pay for college, she should buy me a car. :biggrin2: That went over like a lead balloon. :frown:

What kind of scholly does a catfish get....marine biology? Or great southern cooking? :)

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
True, but I believe tuition has outpaced inflation.
Virginia has a struggle with all her state schools over the number of in-state students. If Va Tech administrators (and probably those at UVa and W&M as well), the number of instaters would be very small. It is a lot more lucrative to bring in out-of-staters. The legislature has to hold the state schools' feet to the fire and ensure they admit a percentage of Virginians. I suspect the same goes on in Tuscaloosa (the Barn, too, but who in their right mind wants to go to a cow college?)
I know Alabama is over 50% out of state students now. I think it's about 52%. And increases every year. But as you said the University and legislature don't care because they can get more money with out of state. If the university had their way I doubt they would have hardly any Alabama kids as students.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I know Alabama is over 50% out of state students now. I think it's about 52%. And increases every year. But as you said the University and legislature don't care because they can get more money with out of state. If the university had their way I doubt they would have hardly any Alabama kids as students.
The legislature in Virginia has to constantly remind the state universities that they are the University of Virginia, and Virginia Tech, and as such, they have an obligation to educate the young citizens of the Commonwealth. It is the schools that want to drive up-out-of state numbers, because it eases budget pressures. Out-of-state parents do not vote in state legislative elections. When "Junior" is denied admission to UVa (or William & Mary or Va Tech), Virginia-daddy gets upset and daddy votes. Out-of-state daddy does not get a chance to vote for Virginia legislators.
I believe the schools are making strategic mistakes by slighting in-state students. If one compares alumni donations, in-staters tend to donate more than out of state alumni. Maybe because they live with constant reminders of their alma maters. To create in-state alums, you have to admit instate students.
I have no way of knowing, but if I had to guess, I would wager that Alabama alums move out of state post-graduation less frequently UVa and Va Tech alums, and I'd also bet that out-of-state alums donate to the University at a lower rate than in-state alums.
Maybe someone on the board who knows can illuminate this question.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Are you just saying we don't want to know....or are you just having trouble remembering? :D
Oh, I remember. $158 per semester. However, when I went to NYU for grad law school, it was $1500 per semester, so I was happy to be on full scholly, since that would be $11,500 today. But that's not what it really is. It's really $33K+ per semester now...

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I was at Bama 1957-1963. Y'all don't wanna know what it was. However, many are forgetting the inflation factor...

Add to that inflation factor the cost of Liberal/Progressive professors. A professor receiving $450,000 +/- for teaching one course is ludicrous! Who has to pay for that? Students/Parents!

If I were a student now, I'd probably be expelled for questioning everything professors say: propaganda. I'm sure they would get very irritated that someone could think for themselves.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.