RIO 2016 - Games of the XXXI Olympiad - August 5-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
RIO DE JANEIRO (Reuters) - Rio de Janeiro's air is dirtier and deadlier than portrayed by authorities and the Olympics' promised legacy of cleaner winds has not remotely been met, an analysis of government data and Reuters' own testing found.

Brazil declared in its official bid for the Olympic Games, which open on Friday, that Rio's air quality was "within the limits recommended by the World Health Organization."

That was not true when Rio won the right to host the Games in 2009 and it is not true now.

Rio for years has surpassed WHO limits for the most dangerous air pollutant - called particulate matter (PM) - spewed from millions of vehicles clogging the city's roads.

Thousands die annually in Rio's metropolitan area of 12 million people because of complications related to the air. People exposed to the pollution have higher risks of lung cancer, heart attacks, strokes, asthma and other diseases.

"This is definitely not 'Olympic air'," said Paulo Saldiva, a University of Sao Paulo pathologist and member of the WHO committee that set tougher global pollution standards in 2006.

"A lot of attention has been paid to Rio's water pollution, but far more people die because of air pollution than the water," he said. "You are not obligated to drink water from Guanabara Bay but you must breathe Rio's air."
https://www.yahoo.com/news/rios-oly...-no-cleaner-legacy-111244530--oly.html?ref=gs

BamaNation

Publisher and Benevolent Dictator
Staff member
Apr 9, 1999
Silicon Slopes
TideFans.com
as an aside and as hinted at by others, I think it will be interesting to see if this Olympics ends up being the complete train wreck that I think it will. Of course, this is what happens when you introduce incredible complexity into societies not ready for the even moderate complexity. When you can bribe Olympic & sporting official poobahs, including the upcoming World Cup, incompetence and more corruption is what you get.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
as an aside and as hinted at by others, I think it will be interesting to see if this Olympics ends up being the complete train wreck that I think it will. Of course, this is what happens when you introduce incredible complexity into societies not ready for the even moderate complexity. When you can bribe Olympic & sporting official poobahs, including the upcoming World Cup, incompetence and more corruption is what you get.
Let's see, boating & swimming in feces filled water, crime rate is insane, Zika, construction issues...

At some point, the Olympics will need to revisit how cities are chosen. I really think they need to hold them Olympics in Harare, Zimbabwe or Cape Town next go around. Maybe even Islamabad or New Dehli.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
i thought the world cup would be a complete trainwreck in 2014, but somehow they pulled it off. we did get to see that epic beatdown that the krauts put on them though.

im guessing the olympics is going to be a dumpster fire.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Experts are saying your head should not go in the water. What the world? Those rowing teams and kayaking events, good luck and good grief.
the whitewater events are in a man-made course, so the water is probably not as big of an issue for those events (hopefully) as it will be in the open water events.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
@Bazza & others: any interest in me setting up a dedicated Olympics board for the duration of the games?

Great idea, Brett!

I started this thread in non-sports because I thought it would be lost anywhere else.

I figured we all could use something sports related to get us through until football starts back up.

Thanks and go for it - I'm in! :)

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I am not a defeatist, but I have a bad feeling. Broke, corrupt, disease, terrorism. I have a bad feeling. This is a bad time to have the games in a non first world nation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.