RIO 2016 - Games of the XXXI Olympiad - August 5-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Back on topic, I think it'll be a while before the games are awarded again to a country trying to emerge into a 1st world power. Brasil was not ready for prime time and everyone now knows it...

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
agreed on the benefits to atlanta in the aftermath and it's effects on downtown. i think we've done more than most from that perspective.

i was talking more about the vendor silliness and in-general bill campbell. i'm just piling on atlanta now ;)

i think the impact was greater on the areas closer in-town and the centennial park area than it was in east point/college park/hapeville area. what seemed to drive stuff to the tri-cities more was when the in-town neighborhood values started going through the roof in 2000 onward, admittedly due in part to the olympics.
In 1994 Atlanta decided to get rid of massive housing projects as they were a failure and because they needed to justify demolishing Techwood Homes to build the Olympic Athletes Village, that are now GA Tech Dorms. Many of those projects were in the Tri-cities, would all of that have happened without the Olympics? Maybe, but the Olympics were a prime driver and a perfect excuse to tear all that down. IMO the 2nd best political decision in modern Atlanta history right behind building the International Airport

The vendor silliness just showed how corrupt Campbell and his administration were

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
As far as I can tell, this isn't an Onion-style parody.

Report: The Olympics Opening Ceremony Features Gisele Bündchen Getting Assaulted

That supermodel Gisele would have a role in this week’s Olympics opening ceremony was a given, and previous reports indicated the Brazilian supermodel would have a “sexy starring role.” But reports from witnesses of Sunday’s opening ceremony dress rehearsal explained to Brazil’s UOL that Tom Brady’s better half is part of a very weird segment that features her being assaulted and robbed.
http://deadspin.com/report-the-olympics-opening-ceremony-features-gisele-b-1784628802

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
In 1994 Atlanta decided to get rid of massive housing projects as they were a failure and because they needed to justify demolishing Techwood Homes to build the Olympic Athletes Village, that are now GA Tech Dorms. Many of those projects were in the Tri-cities, would all of that have happened without the Olympics? Maybe, but the Olympics were a prime driver and a perfect excuse to tear all that down. IMO the 2nd best political decision in modern Atlanta history right behind building the International Airport

The vendor silliness just showed how corrupt Campbell and his administration were
a lot of my feelings about atlanta in the 90s are skewed by my thoughts of bill campbell.

yeah, from a housing/development standpoint it was a huge deal as techwood and some of the surrounding areas (the area just south of freedom parkway) were basically war zones. i lived one block north of the masquerade at the time (it was marginally sketchy at the time) and there were a lot of places where i would never go that are now in-town hot spots.

a lot of my professors at tech were involved in the planning for the olympics and the surrounding areas and we studied it a good deal in school. iirc, carl patton (past president of georgia state) was also heavily involved.

the one big thing they overlooked was connecting the olympic stadium/turner field to down town. i think georgia state's expansion has really picked up the ball again wrt downtown development.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...hrough-gate-a7172011.html?cmpid=facebook-post

A gate of the Maracana Stadium, the host venue of the Rio Olympics, had to be forced open after organisers reportedly lost the key.

Julia Carneiro, a BBC reporter in Rio de Janeiro, captured the incident on video outside the stadium, prior to Wednesday’s women’s football match between Sweden and South Africa.

Two men described as ‘firemen’ are seen using a pair of bolt cutters to break the padlock and open the gate.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
OK enough of the negativity....I get it.....but we have some really special athletes who are competing on the world stage.....and 4 more weeks until football.

So what are ya gonna do? :wink:

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
On an interesting note, (definitely not complaining), the head of the IOC is speaking European Portuguese instead of Brazilian Portuguese. The hard 'T' instead of a soft one on 'boa noite' is a tell.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
SMH...

Olympics 2016: So Team USA walks into a Rio brothel, and ...

RIO DE JANEIRO – TMZ reported Friday that a group of Team USA men’s basketball players “accidentally” went to a famed brothel here.

Apparently, the group, which TMZ said included DeMarcus Cousins, DeMar DeRozan and DeAndre Jordan, thought they were just going to a regular spa and merely had a drink (the place plays music, welcomes only male customers and has a full bar). They then – and only then – figured out they probably shouldn’t be there.

“They realized it wasn’t the right place for them and immediately left,” a source told TMZ.

Sure, sure, sounds totally plausible. Who the heck was the “source” peddling that story? Draymond Green?
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/olympics-2016-so-team-usa-walks-into-a-rio-brothel-and-040537797.html

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.