RIO 2016 - Games of the XXXI Olympiad - August 5-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
Team Australia wins the 400m freestyle! If we can't win, I'm pulling for the Aussies! :)
I am rooting against the Australians in everything. After a while some of their tweets started to remind of the same snobish BS I have to deal with when I travel to the mid west.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Australia has traditionally been very strong in swimming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I don't understand why some of those volleyball players hit the ball directly toward their opponent instead of aiming into the open space......drives me crazy.....

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't understand why some of those volleyball players hit the ball directly toward their opponent instead of aiming into the open space......drives me crazy.....
I've played some, so I'll try. There are basically two cases. One is that is the only play you have to keep the ball alive. The other is a spike where, like in tennis, you try to "lock the defender down" by delivering the ball faster than they can react. This is hard to do, with the reflexes the players have at this level. I'll admit I had the same thoughts about the matchup yesterday between the Aussies and the US. The tall Aussie insisted on trying to spike through Walsh-Jennings and got blocked over and over. Both players were 6'3", but W-J is a bigger, badder 6'3" than any woman on the planet. I finally concluded that the Aussie was very accustomed to using her height to over-power opponents, so that was the only real move she knew and just had to go with it...

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
If you haven't seen the French gymnast break his leg, consider yourself lucky.
I can't watch stuff like that. The only one I've seen since Theisman is Prothro's injury and I only saw that because I was watching live. I avoid those things like the plague. I hope that guy heals as quickly and completely as possible.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I can't watch stuff like that. The only one I've seen since Theisman is Prothro's injury and I only saw that because I was watching live. I avoid those things like the plague. I hope that guy heals as quickly and completely as possible.
ever since i tore my acl the first time, i cannot watch injuries.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
I've played some, so I'll try. There are basically two cases. One is that is the only play you have to keep the ball alive. The other is a spike where, like in tennis, you try to "lock the defender down" by delivering the ball faster than they can react. This is hard to do, with the reflexes the players have at this level. I'll admit I had the same thoughts about the matchup yesterday between the Aussies and the US. The tall Aussie insisted on trying to spike through Walsh-Jennings and got blocked over and over. Both players were 6'3", but W-J is a bigger, badder 6'3" than any woman on the planet. I finally concluded that the Aussie was very accustomed to using her height to over-power opponents, so that was the only real move she knew and just had to go with it...

Thanks and that makes sense. But the shots I was talking about seemed to be mostly "lob" type shots - not spikes. And it 'seemed' like they were not so much hurried shots, thus allowing time for the player to direct the ball in one direction or another at will.

That said...it's always easier as a spectator to be a critic....or second-guess....

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Thanks and that makes sense. But the shots I was talking about seemed to be mostly "lob" type shots - not spikes. And it 'seemed' like they were not so much hurried shots, thus allowing time for the player to direct the ball in one direction or another at will.

That said...it's always easier as a spectator to be a critic....or second-guess....
They may not look hurried, but they are. It's usually on the last touch or when the player is severely out of position. It's not the shot they want...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Watching some of the swimming heats...wow that Katie Ledecky is incredible!

Very impressed with the camera work and excellent color commentary on the swimming events...well done, NBC!

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Well, the Dutch girl's speed bit her in the butt. I hope Abbott keeps her wits about her and slows down the descent. Those center stripes must not be as slick as they are here. They've certainly caused me some road rash...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
She pulled 75% of that race with the Dutch girl and then alone, while the three chasers rested each other to the end. Finally, her body broke...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.