RIO 2016 - Games of the XXXI Olympiad - August 5-21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
With 12 days to go, I thought I would get a thread up. Will help us get through the rest of the period before football gets going again. I know it will help me, anyway! ;)

Links:

RIO OLYMPICS (Main site from IOC)

TEAM USA (meet team USA!)

RIO DE JANEIRO 2016 (homepage)

NBC (Rio Olympics page, including TV listings, schedule, etc.)

BBC (Rio Olympics page)

WIKI (Rio Olympics page)

USA TODAY (Rio Olympics page)

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida

U.S. Olympic Committee Announces 555-Member 2016 U.S. Olympic Team

By United States Olympic Committee | July 23, 2016, 3:45 p.m. (ET)

LOS ANGELES – The United States Olympic Committee today announced the 2016 U.S. Olympic Team that will compete at the upcoming Rio Olympic Games. The 555-member roster is comprised of 263 men and 292 women, marking the most women who have ever competed for any nation in Olympic Games history. The United States will be represented in 27 sports (40 disciplines) and 244 of the 306 medal events that will be contested in Rio.
Click on link for more...good read.....

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I will be here with you. :) I love the Olympics and always look forward to them.

Make sure to have the NBC Sports App. They will show the events without all the breaks and you can watch them live. I hate when they wait to air some of the big events in primetime. I would rather watch it live.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
This will be an interesting Olympics, but not for the right reasons. Brazil is a second-world (at best) cesspool. Russia is banned and many of the best athletes are scared to go there.

I'll watch some things, because college football season hasn't started yet.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I've always loved the Olympics for the competition and the athletes' stories. This year we'll get the added intrigue of the Rio "organizing" committee's dumpster fire. I just pray that no one gets hurt or killed.

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
I disagree with Brasil being a cesspool. I have traveled around the central states, and it is beautiful country with some really first class people.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
I disagree with Brasil being a cesspool. I have traveled around the central states, and it is beautiful country with some really first class people.
Guanabara Bay is a cesspool
http://abcnews.go.com/International...-rios-olympic-sailing-24840315/image-24840597

Sailing at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro is scheduled to be held from 8-18 August at Marina da Gloria in Guanabara Bay. The sailing classes have two changes from the 2012 Summer Olympics events. There will be 10 events. The location for sailing events is a source of concern for athletes since scientists have found drug-resistant super bacteria in Guanabara Bay due to the daily dumping of hospital waste and household raw sewage into the rivers and ocean. The Brazilian federal government's Oswaldo Cruz Foundation lab also found the genes of super bacteria in a river that empties into Guanabara Bay
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sailing_at_the_2016_Summer_Olympics

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
But there is a big difference between a bay in their second largest city and the whole country being a cesspool. We've had Lake Erie catch on fire, and I would have never called the US a cesspool. The heartland of Brasil reminds me very much of small town America.

Vinny

Hall of Fame
Sep 27, 2001
Rockaway, NJ
Instead of bringing your guts, you better bring a plunger for the [emoji90] [emoji946] about to happen [emoji372]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zorak

All-American
Jan 8, 2010
Orlando, FL (Winter Park area)
This is why third-world countries like Brazil shouldn't be allowed to host the Olympics: http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/25/sport/olympics-2016-rio-village-australia/index.html
None of which comes as a shock to my wife and in-laws (all Brazilian). Especially about the crime. Those (in the big cities like where she grew up at least) who can afford it travel in vehicles fitted with bullet proof glass.

They've been worried about this exact scenario since Rio was announced as the host (2010?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
But there is a big difference between a bay in their second largest city and the whole country being a cesspool. We've had Lake Erie catch on fire, and I would have never called the US a cesspool. The heartland of Brasil reminds me very much of small town America.

Well, it was Cleveland......................

Status
Not open for further replies.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.