The new normal in Germany?

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Syrian Refugee Arrested in Germany After Fatal Machete Attack. This one does not appear to be islamic-related, other than the perp was probably a muslim (Syrian refugee). She probably disrespected him, so he had to, right?

One dead, 12 injured in blast near Nuremberg, Germany: police.Too early to say anything about this one.

Man, what a couple of weeks Europe is having, huh?
I can't remember where I read it, but they were both employees at the same sandwich shop did have an ongoing dispute. The BMW which knocked him down was being driven by the son of the owner of the sandwich shop...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Syrian Refugee Arrested in Germany After Fatal Machete Attack. This one does not appear to be islamic-related, other than the perp was probably a muslim (Syrian refugee). She probably disrespected him, so he had to, right?

One dead, 12 injured in blast near Nuremberg, Germany: police.Too early to say anything about this one.

Man, what a couple of weeks Europe is having, huh?
It was in Anbach, near Nuremberg. A Syrian refugee who'd had asylum denied set off a suicide backpack. So far, he's the only one dead but three critically injured...

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Culture wins again. I suspect that there is something in Afghan culture that makes Afghanistan one of the poorest, most backwards countries on earth. You can take the man out of the mountains, but you can't take the mountains out of the man.
It is religion that holds Afghanistan back and the fact that they've never fully recovered from the Russian invasion in the late 70's and subsequent proxy war we fought against the Russians on their behalf

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
It is religion that holds Afghanistan back and the fact that they've never fully recovered from the Russian invasion in the late 70's and subsequent proxy war we fought against the Russians on their behalf
Maybe, but I am not sure even islam mandates raping and murdering infidel women. I think that this level of misogynie is cultural, not necessarily religious (although I will admit the two are intertwined in Afghanistan). Bosnian or Indonesian muslims do not seem to rape and murder infidel women this way (but maybe I have missed that).

As for Afghan decrepitude, the Estonians and Lithuanians seem to have recovered quite nicely from Soviet occupation.
I think Afghan culture leads its menfolk to enjoy fighting. They will fight against an outsider if one if present in the country, but if not, they will fight against each other. That is, I believe, cultural and explains why Afghanistan is such a basket case.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I've said before, I don't mind accepting refugees on a temporary basis, in limited numbers if we can ensure they are not islamic weirdos.
There is a throughput, assimilation and concentration question. It takes time to assimilate immigrants. The greater the cultural leap, the longer the time. The more of that particular group/nationality we accept, the longer it takes to assimilate. The more concentrated that culture is in pockets inside the US, the longer it takes to assimilate them.
For those who say we cannot inquire about religion, would you be as willing to accept German refugees in 1943 who said their religion was "Judaism" as German refugees who said their religion was "Nordic/SS?" I'd feel more comfortable accepting the former than the latter, but they were both German as far as US immigration law at the time.
And I have no problem with the Aussies and kiwis asking prospective immigrants how they will make Australia or New Zealand better. And turning away those that won't make the country better. I wish we would do more of that.

Jon

Hall of Fame
Feb 22, 2002
Atlanta 'Burbs
Maybe, but I am not sure even islam mandates raping and murdering infidel women. I think that this level of misogynie is cultural, not necessarily religious (although I will admit the two are intertwined in Afghanistan). Bosnian or Indonesian muslims do not seem to rape and murder infidel women this way (but maybe I have missed that).

As for Afghan decrepitude, the Estonians and Lithuanians seem to have recovered quite nicely from Soviet occupation.
I think Afghan culture leads its menfolk to enjoy fighting. They will fight against an outsider if one if present in the country, but if not, they will fight against each other. That is, I believe, cultural and explains why Afghanistan is such a basket case.
Lithuania and Estonia didn't fight a 10 year war against the Soviets, they also didn't have their crazy religious sects gets armed and trained by a super-power and they aren't surrounded by other crazy religious nations intent on meddling. You really can't compare them

But Bosnia and Indonesia have had their share of religious issues. I'm sure you recall Clinton engaging in Bosnia over a few of them. Indonesia, in my opinion, covers up many of the issues that they have until they make international news, like the bombing in Bali 10-15 years ago.

All that said I will agree that there are massive cultural differences. I've traveled fairly extensively in Indonesia and find their people to be largely welcoming but have never been to Afghanistan

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Lithuania and Estonia didn't fight a 10 year war against the Soviets, they also didn't have their crazy religious sects gets armed and trained by a super-power and they aren't surrounded by other crazy religious nations intent on meddling.
Thank God for Emmit Fitz-Hume and Austin Millbarge being sent over on our behalf!

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Lithuania and Estonia didn't fight a 10 year war against the Soviets, they also didn't have their crazy religious sects gets armed and trained by a super-power and they aren't surrounded by other crazy religious nations intent on meddling. You really can't compare them
You'd be surprised. The Forest Brothers. Some fought until the 1980s.
I asked a Lithuanian about the disparity of Russians in the Baltic States (Latvia and Estonia today are about 25% Russian speaking, while Lithuania is about 8.3% Russian speaking). My Lithuanian colleague explained, with neither shame nor pride, "We were better at killing the Russian immigrants than the other two were." And it's true. The Soviets decided to stop wasting good Russian families by moving them into remote rural Lithuanian houses, only to be murdered in their sleep. The Soviets just stopped trying.
But Bosnia and Indonesia have had their share of religious issues. I'm sure you recall Clinton engaging in Bosnia over a few of them. Indonesia, in my opinion, covers up many of the issues that they have until they make international news, like the bombing in Bali 10-15 years ago.
I sat down with a Bosnian man in a cafe in Sarajevo in 1994 and had a chat. I ordered a beer (pivo in Serbo-Croatian) and asked him what he wanted. "Pivo, molim." I raised my eyebrows and reminded him, "But you're a muslim." He said, "I'm a European muslim," by which he meant he is pragmatic about such things.
All that said I will agree that there are massive cultural differences. I've traveled fairly extensively in Indonesia and find their people to be largely welcoming but have never been to Afghanistan
You have the advantage over me. I've been to Afghanistan, but not Indonesia. All the Indonesians I've met, even the religious ones, struck me as pragmatic about their religion. They are sincere about their beliefs, but they are not going to club you over the head if you don't share them.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Political desperation?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/12/06/angela-merkel-calls-burka-ban-wherever-legally-possible/

Angela Merkel has called for a ban on the burka "wherever possible" in Germany and said there can be no repeat of last year's migrant crisis in a speech launching her bid for another two-year term as Chancellor.

"German law takes precedence over sharia," Mrs Merkel said during a speech at her party's annual two-day congress in the western city of Essen.

"The full face veil should be banned, wherever legally possible," she added, to prolonged applause.
Poor Merkel has to resort to "othering" Muslim refugees in an attempt to keep her job.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.