Chinese woman mauled to death by tiger at Beijing wildlife park

Hurried. Once, in Yosemite, I had my wife grabbed by Japanese students. She (and I) thought that they wanted her to take a pic of them. No, they wanted their pix taken with her! IOW, we occupied more or less the status of the animals in a zoo...
That's crazy, but really is the norm all at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I once flew into Sydney and had to get on a connecting domestic flight. Well at Sydney airport the hallway you take between these two terminals somehow has you "exit" the airport, so you have to go through security again. Everyone on our arrival flight had to go through the same security checkpoint, though they might get on different domestic flights. Well we were all standing in line when this Asian (Chinese I think) family just started shouldering past everyone from the very back right up to the front of the line. Fair enough we thought, they must have a connecting flight that is leaving soon. Nope. When we finally got through security ourselves, they were on the same flight we were, sitting in the terminal drinking coffee...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A lot of Europeans, other than the English, can be be about as bad. Once we flew into Crested Butte, CO, to ski. At the time, they had a skinny little terminal building and the baggage claim area was sort of a shed, added on to the end, unheated. It had three solid sides. The other side, where the baggage was delivered, was heavy rubberized fabric, cut into vertical flaps. Inside, a long stainless ramp sloped down to deliver the bags, as they were pushed through the flaps. Well, a chartered plane-load of Italian skiers arrived simultaneously with us and ended up in the baggage shed. As they became impatient, they pushed through the Americans, climbed up the ramp and pushed the flaps aside to look for their bags. Meanwhile, the Americans had retreated to the rear and communicated via shrugs and rolled eyes. Just different cultures. Don't even get me started on the "V" - shaped cattle slaughter chutes they use in ski areas throughout the Alps. They invite this style of aggression...

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
..we were all standing in line when this Asian (Chinese I think) family just started shouldering past everyone from the very back right up to the front of the line...
They don't understand the concept of getting in line. It's not something they do-- whoever elbows their way up front the best and makes the most noise goes first.

This is more of a Chinese trait. In Japan, the majority of natives are courteous to a fault. Unless it's time to get on the subway, then it's mayhem to be the top sardine in the sardine can.

Last edited:

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Don't even get me started on the "V" - shaped cattle slaughter chutes they use in ski areas throughout the Alps. They invite this style of aggression...
In those stupid ski lines (or mobs), I finally figured out that you get to the front of the line faster by going up the middle, never from either edge, and push and shove to stay in the middle. Counter-intuitive, but it worked for us. Oh, and never let my wife go first in this situation--she'll let everyone else go in front of us.

jabcmb

All-American
Feb 1, 2006
Birmingham, AL
Gaijin...in your own land, no less.
My wife is very, very white skinned. Many Asian countries have an open, unspoken caste system where the lighter skinned you are, the higher caste you are. While visiting in those countries, often my wife has been approached by women who want to touch her skin and speak admiringly about it (at least I'm pretty sure that's what they were saying).

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
Thirty-five years ago in Japan We could hardly push our blonde-haired, big blue-eyed baby girl down the street in her stroller. There would almost always be 4 or 5 mama-sans and children gathered around to touch her hair and comment on her eyes.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
In those stupid ski lines (or mobs), I finally figured out that you get to the front of the line faster by going up the middle, never from either edge, and push and shove to stay in the middle. Counter-intuitive, but it worked for us. Oh, and never let my wife go first in this situation--she'll let everyone else go in front of us.
Once, in Switzerland, we were in a cattle chute like that and my daughter, 17 and probably 105 lb took her (rented) ski pole and jabbed down squarely on the tip of a German who was trying to pass her. He just looked alarmed and backed off. I perfected placing my pole between their ski tips... :D

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.