Link: Treon Harris to transfer

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Good move for him, he was average arm and throwing, he was the weakest SEC QB we faced imo.

Please correct if I am wrong on Luke Del Rio. But this is what I was reading during the last 3 games at Bama.

Luke Del Rio, as a Walk-On, True Freshman, worked his was up to 2nd string during the final leg of the 2013 season, over Junior Blake Sims, IF, AJ went down with a serious injury. Blake was 2nd string with minor injury (game), and mop up. But multiple games, Luke would have played. A co 2nd string.

I do know Luke had passed over every player recruited as a QB (Blake was athlete), barring AJ.

Travon made a good decision. Luke is a pure system QB, that is smart and will make good decisions.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Del Rio wanted to play in the McElwain/Nussmeier scheme...from what I've seen from him, their offense fits his abilities well. If Del Rio plays like I think he will, Florida may surprise some people.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Del Rio wanted to play in the McElwain/Nussmeier scheme...from what I've seen from him, their offense fits his abilities well. If Del Rio plays like I think he will, Florida may surprise some people.
.Is it safe to say that Bama and Florida seeks similar traits? NFL mentality more than NFL physical ability. A Trent Dilfer type.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think we're looking for different traits lately. This hasn't necessarily played out on the field yet, but we seem to be targeting more dual threat quarterback. Del Rio fits the bill for what McElwain and Nussmeier seem to like though. I don't know if he'll be an NFL starter, but he's probably pretty football savvy and not really about his stats as much as distributing the ball around to the playmakers.

I mean, we really want the same thing in the end I guess but the emphasis towards finding multi-dimensional threats is bigger here lately.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I think we're looking for different traits lately. This hasn't necessarily played out on the field yet, but we seem to be targeting more dual threat quarterback. Del Rio fits the bill for what McElwain and Nussmeier seem to like though. I don't know if he'll be an NFL starter, but he's probably pretty football savvy and not really about his stats as much as distributing the ball around to the playmakers.

I mean, we really want the same thing in the end I guess but the emphasis towards finding multi-dimensional threats is bigger here lately.
Good points. Mac and Nuss were more similar to themselves than Kiffin. Will get back on topic, but 3 of our QB's 2 freshman of some sort, have wheels better than Treon or Del Rio. I was surpised at how lacking Treon was at either. He was no dimensional against us, and I kept going back to his 5 star status, blue chip. You cannot gauge a QB fully until you put them in front of 60k plus and a national TV audience, some are inhibited, others uninhabited. AJ vs Phillip Sims. Treon may excel at a lower level.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Did Treon have issue with grades? That could be reason why he's transferring because he didn't do what he was supposed to do?

No.

Short answer is he is more suited to play in a spread-option offense (as he was recruited by CWM to do) but with the pro-style offense Florida is now running under CJM, Treon doesn't fit at the QB position anymore.

He's also only 5'11", which is generally regarded as too short for a pro-style QB.

He was going to switch to a different position but IMHO he has some very good QB skills if he could get on with the right team, so I'm happy for him and hope we see him succeed somewhere else.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.