Great Tweet about Bo Scarborough - Retweeted by Retin Obasahan

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
One of the good thing about Bo is that we may see him lining up as WR time to time.... or motioning out from RB. We probably wont see that until later in the season when things are getting intense.

It's crazy we have all those type of playmakers and teams doesn't know how to game plan for all of those guys. We can pretty much focus them into man to man coverage several time or zone coverage that can be exploited. This year maybe Kiffin's the best of all time.
I can predict what opposing defenses will do. They will concentrate on stopping the run, load the box, and dare an unproven QB to throw the ball. Bama's got talented receivers, but the QB has to get them the ball. That's the weakest link. Not saying QB is weak in absolute terms, it is just the biggest question mark.
If I was USC's D-coord. I'd load the box, stop the run and dare Bama to throw. You may get scorched for 450 yards of passing, but maybe not. This strategy offers USC the best chance to win.
Of course, if Bama can run even with the USC D selling out to stop the run, then it is going to be a long day for the Trojans.

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I can predict what opposing defenses will do. They will concentrate on stopping the run, load the box, and dare an unproven QB to throw the ball. Bama's got talented receivers, but the QB has to get them the ball. That's the weakest link. Not saying QB is weak in absolute terms, it is just the biggest question mark.
If I was USC's D-coord. I'd load the box, stop the run and dare Bama to throw. You may get scorched for 450 yards of passing, but maybe not. This strategy offers USC the best chance to win.
Of course, if Bama can run even with the USC D selling to stop the run, then it is going to be a long day for the Trojans.
Kinda like what Wisconsin did last year in the first game against Alabama?

It's kinda a moot point to do that, because we have Harris/Scarbough/Bateman or Hurts or Barett playing for the first time. They don't have any idea what to expect from us.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Of course, if Bama can run even with the USC D selling to stop the run, then it is going to be a long day for the Trojans.
I agree 100%. If they watched any of the times when BS got the ball last year they know he can/will run the ball well. They also know we'll be a good, if not great, run-blocking OL.

But, the big question mark for Bama this year will be can the OL pass block, and, if we can, will there be a QB who can get the ball to our play makers outside and deep down the field.

Good news is recent history says CLK will find a guy that can do this with enough success that our opponents won't be able to load the box and stop the run.

So, like the last couple of years, it seems Bama's success will largely ride on who's under center.

64met

All-American
Oct 12, 2007
If Bo stays injury free, IMO will have a strong season. A lot will depend on QB development, but I wouldn't want to tackle him..

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Kinda like what Wisconsin did last year in the first game against Alabama?
Pretty much.
I guess the Trojans could just concede.
It's kinda a moot point to do that, because we have Harris/Scarbough/Bateman or Hurts or Barett playing for the first time. They don't have any idea what to expect from us.
Not sure it's moot. It may be difficult, but they have to have some kind of defensive gameplan.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
It's very hard to stop the run with 8 in the box if we spread 3 or 4 wide....if we go 3 wide....they best they can do is put 7 in the box....because you can't let Ridley, Stewart and Foster all get single coverage.....if we go 4 wide, the best they could do is put 6 in....

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
If the O Line jells sooner rather than later, we should have a very impressive RB tandem.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
It's very hard to stop the run with 8 in the box if we spread 3 or 4 wide....if we go 3 wide....they best they can do is put 7 in the box....because you can't let Ridley, Stewart and Foster all get single coverage.....if we go 4 wide, the best they could do is put 6 in....
3 wide or 4 wide either way there is going to be one man unblocked and Bo/Damien have to make a guy miss.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
It's going to be fun watching this coming seasons offense evolve as the season goes on, with the sheer amount of talent we have at the skill positions, we will have the most true "Multiple Offense" that's ever been fielded in college football..Go ahead & stack the box to stop our running game, we will pop the corners with short quick passes, allowing our elite WR's or TE's to turn a quick pass into a huge gain or we will go deep over the top cause the secondary will be on islands trying to contain our skill sets..

Then when their D gets burned for stacking the LOS, they will backoff, when they do this will will go back to our "Ground N Pound" running game & pound them into submission..I would truly hate to be a DC game-planning for our offense..

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I'm looking forward to more passes to the RB, and to that threat slowing down the opponents' pass rush. Could be especially useful early as the OL comes together.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I'm looking forward to more passes to the RB, and to that threat slowing down the opponents' pass rush. Could be especially useful early as the OL comes together.
Croom and the Titans seemed to be miffed that they have such a good pass catcher, route runner in Henry, but he was not asked to do that. To our defense, we won the NC, but I agree with you.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Of course, if Bama can run even with the USC D selling out to stop the run, then it is going to be a long day for the Trojans.
For the reasons you mention, I`d be stunned if they did anything else. I believe our WR`s, slots, and RB`s out of the backfield will get open. If our QB`s are good enough to consistently get 200 yards, they won`t be able to load the box. Just too much talent going downfield. If that happens, we`ll be really hard to handle on O, IMHO.

Elefantman

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2007
R Can Saw
Croom and the Titans seemed to be miffed that they have such a good pass catcher, route runner in Henry, but he was not asked to do that. To our defense, we won the NC, but I agree with you.
So they just found out Henry can catch a pass?

That's like being upgraded to first class and finding out your sitting next to Heidi Klum.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
For the reasons you mention, I`d be stunned if they did anything else. I believe our WR`s, slots, and RB`s out of the backfield will get open. If our QB`s are good enough to consistently get 200 yards, they won`t be able to load the box. Just too much talent going downfield. If that happens, we`ll be really hard to handle on O, IMHO.
ABsolutely.
The best hope most Ds have of preventing that is to sell out on stopping the run, and pressuring a new (or fairly new, low number of starts) QB. Influence the QB, of Bama will torch your secondary with these wideouts.
Question for Bama is, can the line pass block and can RBs pick up blitzes, because there will be a lot of blitzes.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I'd say Bo was 230 when he came to Bama. Me and Mack have been pushing this kid ever since he was a Sophomore at Northridge. He had injury concerns in h.s., BUT he was rode hard and wet in h.s. as he was their only chance to win so he basically got every single carry so I can imagine it's hard to stay healthy.

But I've always had the opinion that Bo was and is a better all around back than Derrick Henry was and that says something. I'm not saying he's as fast or will put up huge numbers like him, but when Bo leaves here and stays healthy he is our next NFL back without a doubt. He DOES NOT shy away from contact and will run folks over but he has great speed to go along with it. Don't expect him to have the top end Henry had (no back over 220 has the top end Henry has) but he is faster than average but is the bruiser type we love here. I'd expect him to get the most carries of our stable of backs unless he gets hurt.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
So they just found out Henry can catch a pass?

That's like being upgraded to first class and finding out your sitting next to Heidi Klum.
Lol. It does go back to the scouts, or lack of. Titan articles were full of how surprised they were that one of his strengths was catching out of the backfield, and running routes. He probably still had as many catches as O.J, but even if it was 17 or so, they should have been able to evaluate from that. Yes I agree with you. It is a lethal way to get Derrick an angle. I am so ready for the season!

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
And lets not forget OJ Howard! He could have a monster year.

RTR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.