Imo, Humphrey likely to be first Bama Soph drafted ever.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Hump is probably the purest NFL prototypical CB we've had under Saban. He's got speed to spare but good enough size to avoid getting absolutely big-dog'd by the bigger NFL WRs.
Hard to be more prototypical than Milliner. Kirkpatrick was not far behind. I appreciate Humphrey's game but I wonder if we are setting the expectations a bit high.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
But did he play on special teams throughout the season though? I can't seem to recall that... Can someone verify that for me?
I am not sure how much that is going to matter if he is a solid top 2 CB and plays special teams this year. Seems like he was part of some of the special teams last year. He is a preseason top 3 in a lot of articles I have read.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Hard to be more prototypical than Milliner. Kirkpatrick was not far behind. I appreciate Humphrey's game but I wonder if we are setting the expectations a bit high.
Good to have high expectations but I agree that it should just be a focus on him just leaving it all on the field this season. He has the talent to be a NFL corner, first things first, he has to take care of the business of college on and off the field. The more he excels in that the better his chances of being successful on the next level.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Just noticed that Marlon is the #1 preseason RS Sophomore, for any position via NFL.COM

I would not have written thread if not for us never having a RS Sophomore leave, coupled with the off season, I went for and posted. I agree, Marlon needs to leave it on the field, this is preseason fodder. But my angle that he will both succeed and be given the benefit of any doubt is the pedigree. It may the best of any player in the nation. Will be a fun season. I especially like Marlon because he is so full of Alabama, and is a team player to the T. So talented, but a team player, stable and smart. Bright future in the NFL, this or next draft.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...op-15-redshirt-sophomores-in-college-football

Last edited:

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Just noticed that Marlon is the #1 preseason RS Sophomore, for any position via NFL.COM

I would not have written thread if not for us never having a RS Sophomore leave, coupled with the off season, I went for and posted. I agree, Marlon needs to leave it on the field, this is preseason fodder. But my angle that he will both succeed and be given the benefit of any doubt is the pedigree. It may the best of any player in the nation. Will be a fun season. I especially like Marlon because he is so full of Alabama, and is a team player to the T. So talented, but a team player, stable and smart. Bright future in the NFL, this or next draft.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...op-15-redshirt-sophomores-in-college-football

not to derail this thread, but Bama has 3 of the top 10 sophmores listed in that article. Two have barely played so it's a bit of a stretch...

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
not to derail this thread, but Bama has 3 of the top 10 sophmores listed in that article. Two have barely played so it's a bit of a stretch...
Bo Scarbough- Eligible for NFL after this season.
Christian Miller-Eligible for NFL after this season. (He redshirted)

So Hump and Bo can potentially leave.

so it's not really a stretch. If Bo grades out between 1-3rd round, he probably would leave. Miller, That's depending on how well he play this year. I seriously doubt he will leave because he needs to show that he can be every down player before going to NFL.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

so it's not really a stretch. If Bo grades out between 1-3rd round, he probably would leave. Miller, That's depending on how well he play this year. I seriously doubt he will leave because he needs to show that he can be every down player before going to NFL.
We have never had a Sophomore leave for the draft, Humphrey is being talked about. Your views are certainly a possibility, but I personally do not see any Sophomore leaving that is not a top 15 pick. Humphrey could be an exception imo, but we may continue to have zero. The flip side to the article is that Marlon is at the top of his class, so you can interpret that is being a top 5 pick in 2018, as compared to competing with all the Juniors this year.

Unless we have a player that is a top 20 pick as a sophomore, it seems unlikely that they go. Humphrey is the only one in the running imo. It is hard to get drafted in the 1st round as a RB, much less with just one year.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

I'm not saying they couldn't leave, it's just a stretch to put two players who have barely played college ball in the top 10 rating in their class. I'm not even sure if Miller has taken any reps outside of special teams, yet he's top 10. That is what is a stretch.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
I'm not saying they couldn't leave, it's just a stretch to put two players who have barely played college ball in the top 10 rating in their class. I'm not even sure if Miller has taken any reps outside of special teams, yet he's top 10. That is what is a stretch.
Yep. It is similar to a QB being picked all-conference and a Heisman candidate when he has only played in one half of one game (i.e. the Barn's QB last year).

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Okay. Will this help: http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/i...t_analysis_alabama_db.html#incart_river_index

He said that Coach Saban told him that Humphrey could leave for NFL Draft.

On the other two, I can see where you're coming from, but anything can happen in one year. So you're correct.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Okay. Will this help: http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/i...t_analysis_alabama_db.html#incart_river_index

He said that Coach Saban told him that Humphrey could leave for NFL Draft.

On the other two, I can see where you're coming from, but anything can happen in one year. So you're correct.
completely agree on Hump. He would be eligible, and if he follows the trajectory of most of our other CB's (start one year, and be the lock down guy the next season, then drafted) he'll be gone. He had a better first year than some of our best corners under Saban so it's very possible he could make the jump.

on the others, they could have awesome years, and if BS has a 1200 yard year, I could see him leaving. Miller probably won't start and will be a spot duty player who spells Williams and Anderson. that said, since neither has a body of work in college, it's hard to fathom they are really top 10 players in their class at this point and makes me wonder what that author is basing his conclusions on...

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
completely agree on Hump. He would be eligible, and if he follows the trajectory of most of our other CB's (start one year, and be the lock down guy the next season, then drafted) he'll be gone. He had a better first year than some of our best corners under Saban so it's very possible he could make the jump.

on the others, they could have awesome years, and if BS has a 1200 yard year, I could see him leaving. Miller probably won't start and will be a spot duty player who spells Williams and Anderson. that said, since neither has a body of work in college, it's hard to fathom they are really top 10 players in their class at this point and makes me wonder what that author is basing his conclusions on...
The small sample size and recruiting hype. That's all.

I don't see Bo going pro after this year unless he went off for 1,750 total yards and 20+ touchdowns solely based on the other possible RBs in this upcoming draft (Chubb, Fournette, Cook, McAffrey, and Hurd are all underclassmen).

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011

I don't see Bo going pro after this year unless he went off for 1,750 total yards and 20+ touchdowns solely based on the other possible RBs in this upcoming draft (Chubb, Fournette, Cook, McAffrey, and Hurd are all underclassmen).
I'm just concerned about Bo staying eligible. knowing the challenges he's faced I could see him going pro as soon as possible, if he's even getting sniffs from the NFL.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I think he comes back next year, but there is no way he stays 2 more years after this year. He is going to get paid, but I think a lot of teams would tell him to stay so he can just get more experience and maturity out there even though he has never shown a lack of either at the end of last year. I thought he would have started day one for us and liked him more than Tony Brown when they signed, so 1 out of 2 ain't bad....haha

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

That's why I don't see Bo leaving early. With all the RB's you just listed, most would be going ahead of Bo in the draft and it would cost him a lot of money. If he stays and puts together back-to-back 1,000+ seasons then leaves then he would be picked higher and make more money and everybody on here knows how high I am on Bo. I just think he would need monster numbers to go into the draft, better than any of the back mentioned.

bamacpa

All-American
Jul 19, 2006
Agreed. Marlon had a nice season, and is plenty talented, but let's see how year 2 goes.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.