Imo, Humphrey likely to be first Bama Soph drafted ever.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
I am not sure why Marlon RS, but after looking at the preseason draft predictions, and just flat out seeing his play, I am predicting that he will be the first sophomore to ever get drafted from Alabama.

The rule is 3 years of college, shirt or not. What is unusual is that all of our players, at least under coach Saban, that were first or early second round picks, were not red shirted, so they all left after their junior years. I am not sure when the 3 year rule was put in place, maybe a decade ago. But if the predictions hold true, Marlon could easily be a 1st round pick coming off his RS sophomore year.

That would be a first in the modern era for Bama? Though it was interesting. His pedigree is top tier, which trumps only playing 2 years. Many know his mother Barbara still holds the UAB 400 Meter record. We all know about her hubby. That is Manning like pedigree.

http://alabama.247sports.com/Articl...Most-Important-Players-for-2016-No-8-46386752

Last edited:

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000
Wasn't he injured in 2014 at some point?
That is what I thought. I am seeing a lot of national press on him, usually reserved for our Juniors! Question is based on a hypothetical, but I think good chance to happen. Was not sure if would be a first as a soph, but I think so.

The off season questions will soon be over lol.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
IMO if he didn't redshirt, he would have played special teams and left after his JR year anyway just like HaHa, Sunseri, and Collins.

Still, I'd love to have him for 2016 and 2017.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I thought I heard he was having to adjust to playing games CB like the coaches wanted him to. He had enough talent in HS that he didn't have to have much technique and pick up as many coverages and reads. Once he got through that the natural shows.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Even through he redshirted, he's going into his second year at CB, that means he has enough gametape to show his resume at NFL level. Even through he could declare for NFL after this year, there's a possibility he could come back next year, but who knows? There's a reason why we got a JUCO transfer... who knows?

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Humphrey is a good one, no doubt. But I think it's unlikely that he's enter the draft after this season.

It's rare that RS sophomores enter the draft (I can only recall Michael Vick and Larry Fitzgerald, though he was a true soph who had been out of HS for 3 years and had to petition the NFL to enter the draft). Unless he has an out-of-this-world season (which would be awesome), I can't see him leaving.

There's also a lot of talented CBs that will be leaving this year (Desmond King, Jourdan Lewis, Jalen Tabor, etc) that will impact the draft status of all CBs that leave. He'd have to really outshine everyone to leap into the first round.

Not saying he can't do it, I just think its a tall task for a second year starter; even one as good as Marlon.

(Full disclosure - I selfishly want him to stay until he's a senior)

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Humphrey is a good one, no doubt. But I think it's unlikely that he's enter the draft after this season.

It's rare that RS sophomores enter the draft (I can only recall Michael Vick and Larry Fitzgerald, though he was a true soph who had been out of HS for 3 years and had to petition the NFL to enter the draft). Unless he has an out-of-this-world season (which would be awesome), I can't see him leaving.

There's also a lot of talented CBs that will be leaving this year (Desmond King, Jourdan Lewis, Jalen Tabor, etc) that will impact the draft status of all CBs that leave. He'd have to really outshine everyone to leap into the first round.

Not saying he can't do it, I just think its a tall task for a second year starter; even one as good as Marlon.

really though, a lot of the guys who have left early from 'Bama were only two year starters and took the same path of breaking into special teams duties as a TF, then starting as a soph and again as a junior. That's especially true of the DBs since there's a lot to pick up in the way we run the coverage schemes. Some were not even full time starters as soph, playing in special packages.

Two major differences with MH: 1) he didn't play special teams his first year and 2) he didn't have as rough a year as most other first year CB starters have had under Saban.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Hump is probably the purest NFL prototypical CB we've had under Saban. He's got speed to spare but good enough size to avoid getting absolutely big-dog'd by the bigger NFL WRs.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I'm not sure why everyone is focusing on the fact he's redshirt sophomore and how it's rare to see someone to go into NFL Draft this early. He did well last year, and if he have another great year, then I don't see him any reason for him not going into NFL draft after this season. But then again, I see some of the posters' point about how he needs to show that he can play on special teams, He needs to show the maturity growth from year 1 to year 2. If I remember correctly, there was some plays throughout the season where HE was called for PI several times.

MemphisBamaDude

1st Team
Nov 12, 2008
Memphis, TN

Pretty sure Manziel was a red-shirt sophomore. As was Mackenzie Alexander and Eli Apple.

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I'm not sure why everyone is focusing on the fact he's redshirt sophomore and how it's rare to see someone to go into NFL Draft this early. He did well last year, and if he have another great year, then I don't see him any reason for him not going into NFL draft after this season. But then again, I see some of the posters' point about how he needs to show that he can play on special teams, He needs to show the maturity growth from year 1 to year 2. If I remember correctly, there was some plays throughout the season where HE was called for PI several times.
I seem to recall a certain play in the National Championship game that proves he can play on special teams...

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA

Johnny Football

EDIT: I see some others beat me to it

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.