Bentley is calling a special session to introduce a LOTTERY bill. Did not see this

Clubfitter

Hall of Fame
Feb 21, 2009
Meridianville, Al
www.amtrustwebsite.com
Have a problem with everybody calling a lottery a tax, that it is a tax on the poor. The poor are entitled to spend their entertainment dollars the way they want to. I'm sure that those that play the lottery get as much satisfaction from it as I get from buying a football ticket with the chance that my team will win. I realize that my entertainment dollars are not going into the state treasury. At least those that play the lottery are contributing toward helping the state pay their bills.

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
In my case better they screw up someone else's money (love the idea of someone else paying my taxes for me) than the property tax and income tax dollars I pay.
Have a problem with everybody calling a lottery a tax, that it is a tax on the poor. The poor are entitled to spend their entertainment dollars the way they want to. I'm sure that those that play the lottery get as much satisfaction from it as I get from buying a football ticket with the chance that my team will win. I realize that my entertainment dollars are not going into the state treasury. At least those that play the lottery are contributing toward helping the state pay their bills.
Huh?:wink:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
There was a proposal to raise the tobacco tax and I heard the tax on the poor argument. If you are poor it might be best not to spend money on unhealthy activities like smoking or wasting it on a stupid pipe dream like winning the lottery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Vote procedurally blocked in the House per Yellowhammer News. Will not make 8/24 deadline to be on November 2016 ballot.

Last edited:

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
Because people apparently believe a lottery can only benefit education for some reason.
That is unfortunate. In any case, the "proceeds will go to education" is a shell game anyway. If the lottery pours $100 million into education, the legislature would likely just decrease the state education appropriation by the same amount.

I no longer vote in Alabama, but money is tight and Alabama is losing money to neighboring states, so, if I was voting in Alabama, I'd support a lottery even though I have some reservations.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Because people apparently believe a lottery can only benefit education for some reason.
Yeah, but I think - despite the home schooler movements in this state - that people trust funding to educators over something that is free reign for the politicians to do what they may.

And Tidewater is correct on that front too. They'll just "steal" from education and it will be a zero sum game.

crimson fan man

Hall of Fame
Aug 12, 2002
Athens Al
Athens Al talked about education when trying to pass alcohol sales. When it passed Athens started spending like a drunken sailor and not that much on education. It don't matter what level of government it is they all are nothing but con men and to many fall for their lies.

Clubfitter

Hall of Fame
Feb 21, 2009
Meridianville, Al
www.amtrustwebsite.com
Vote procedurally blocked in the House per Yellowhammer News. Will not make 8/24 deadline to be on November 2016 ballot.

Not familiar with how the House works. Looks like this issue might be over. A shame all lottery money in bordering counties of Tn, Ga, and Fl will go to benefit those states and not Alabama. Alabama still can't see the forest for the trees.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.