Bentley is calling a special session to introduce a LOTTERY bill. Did not see this

Clubfitter

Hall of Fame
Feb 21, 2009
Meridianville, Al
www.amtrustwebsite.com
Oh how I wish I had of kept that news letter now!! Nigg wrote about the evils of alcohol like no preacher could equal!! It was passionate, God fearing like he had never sold me and my buddies more pints of whiskey than a Red Cross blood drive collects in a year!! ;)

It was a touching letter he wrote to that Southern Baptist news letter I am here to tell you!!! I had to go see him right then I was so touched lol!!! ;)
Great story and well told.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
Great story and well told.
I gave him a hard time about it you can be sure!! ;)

Back then it was no secret that the bootleggers in the county and the beer store owners in New Hope as well as those in Etowah county just across the county line from Boaz were padding the church's preachers pockets to preach against alcohol especially before a wet/dry referendum vote! ;)

When I would say something about it to one of them they would just remind me that they weren't making much for the convenience of me not having to drive off the mountain and they were always open, Sunday's and even late at night!! I agreed they were doing a great service for the community!! ;)

Of course a trip to New Hope and the first and last chance beer store owned at that time by Johnny Cobb, was one of my regular, pretty much everyday routine trips, and stops if I happened to be working in Huntsville as I usually was. I am a 3rd generation stone mason and Johnny knew pretty much all the men in my family including me very well!! ;) Something about masonry work and beer drinking go hand in hand! ;)

Anyway, I was laying stone on Johnny's mothers house in New Hope on January 26th, 1983, listening to the radio when the news that coach Bryant had died broke. I wasn't able to work after that, dumped the mud I had made up and to the beer store I went!!

Tears me up still to recall that moment in time...

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
I gave him a hard time about it you can be sure!! ;)

Back then it was no secret that the bootleggers in the county and the beer store owners in New Hope as well as those in Etowah county just across the county line from Boaz were padding the church's preachers pockets to preach against alcohol especially before a wet/dry referendum vote! ;)

When I would say something about it to one of them they would just remind me that they weren't making much for the convenience of me not having to drive off the mountain and they were always open, Sunday's and even late at night!! I agreed they were doing a great service for the community!! ;)

Of course a trip to New Hope and the first and last chance beer store owned at that time by Johnny Cobb, was one of my regular, pretty much everyday routine trips, and stops if I happened to be working in Huntsville as I usually was. I am a 3rd generation stone mason and Johnny knew pretty much all the men in my family including me very well!! ;) Something about masonry work and beer drinking go hand in hand! ;)

Anyway, I was laying stone on Johnny's mothers house in New Hope on January 26th, 1983, listening to the radio when the news that coach Bryant had died broke. I wasn't able to work after that, dumped the mud I had made up and to the beer store I went!!

Tears me up still to recall that moment in time...
never was confirmed, but i heard the same about winston county growing up. haleyville is now wet but the county is still dry.

rolltide_21

Hall of Fame
Dec 9, 2007
NW AL
never was confirmed, but i heard the same about winston county growing up. haleyville is now wet but the county is still dry.
Not exactly. Every town in Winston County is wet so no law enforcement pursues it in the county. So WC is essentially wet. Interestingly enough the first town to go wet was Houston [emoji3]. Not surprising with Smith Lake being nearby though.

Sorry for the random WC post [emoji3].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
They passed a law back in the 1980s saying a town could go wet inside the city limits. Not sure how many county portions are still dry. Probably aren't many stores in unincorporated places anyway.

So is beer bought in a wet city in a dry county exempt from county sales tax?

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Not exactly. Every town in Winston County is wet so no law enforcement pursues it in the county. So WC is essentially wet. Interestingly enough the first town to go wet was Houston [emoji3]. Not surprising with Smith Lake being nearby though.

thanks. i did not realize the other towns were wet as well. i never get out of the car except in haleyville and it still strikes me as odd seeing beer in the stores there. ;)

when i was growing up, winston was a dry county surrounded by dry counties.

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States

A state trooper warned me about having beer in my cooler that Marshal county was dry and he could arrest me for violating the prohibition law at a road block outside of Grant. Grant is a small town north of the river on Gunter mountain that is still dry here in Marshal county.

All the cities south of the Tennessee river in Marshal county are wet except Douglas I believe. You can't buy alcohol in Grant or Douglas or anywhere outside of the wet cities in Marshal county and you can be arrested for it!

That state trooper let me go but don't know if a county cop would have. Hope I don't have to find out!! ;) Also the Marshal county school system does not get any taxes from the cities alcohol sales. That goes to all the cities school systems!! So If I buy beer in Guntersville that tax money goes on to Guntersville's schools not the county schools such as DAR, Douglas, Brindlee Mountain, Claysville, Asbury schools. Don't make sense to me but that is the way it is here!! ;)

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
That state trooper let me go but don't know if a county cop would have. Hope I don't have to find out!! ;)
A friend of mine who went to Ole Miss came to see me one weekend and on his way back to Ox-patch, he got stopped by a county sheriff. My friend had one beer (sealed) in the back seat.
He got to spend the night in the Pontotoc jail.

Last edited:

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
A friend of mine who went to Ole Miss came to see me one weekend and on his way back to Ox-patch, he got stopped by a county sheriff. My friend had one beer (sealed) in the back seat.
He go to spend the night in the Pontotoc jail.
I passed that along to my wife, knowing that I would start a rant against Booneville, where she was stopped for going 2 mph over the limit. Of course, she had an Alabama tag... :)

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
I passed that along to my wife, knowing that I would start a rant against Booneville, where she was stopped for going 2 mph over the limit. Of course, she had an Alabama tag... :)
Funny thing (fortunate for my friend) the cops did not search the car and find the dime bag of weed in his card. His car had Virginia tags, which was why he got pulled over.

In southern Virginia to this day, the city of Emporia (along the Va-NC border) they always have speeds traps on US Highway 58. 2 mph over the limit will get you a ticket.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Funny thing (fortunate for my friend) the cops did not search the car and find the dime bag of weed in his card. His car had Virginia tags, which was why he got pulled over.

In southern Virginia to this day, the city of Emporia (along the Va-NC border) they always have speeds traps on US Highway 58. 2 mph over the limit will get you a ticket.
I have had that narrow escape... :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.