Bentley is calling a special session to introduce a LOTTERY bill. Did not see this

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Not familiar with how the House works.
http://yellowhammernews.com/politic...=jody.otts@protective.com&bt_ts=1471991081139

House rules stipulate that committee meetings must be advertised at least 24 hours in advance, unless four-fifths of the House votes to suspend the rules and allow a meeting to happen on shorter notice. Realizing that the committee meeting time on the lottery was not advertised in advance, a group of House members banded together and did not allow the rules to be suspended, thereby making it impossible for any proposal to pass by the Wednesday deadline.

CaliforniaTide

All-American
Aug 9, 2006
Huntsville, AL
As an educator, I do believe that the way the state house treats the education budget is shameful. They took millions out of it a few years ago to balance the budget, but never restored that money. Anyone who truly believed that this lottery was going to be earmarked for education is lying to themselves.

There needs to be a general fund, and a separate education fund with rules stipulating that money in education fund is for educational purposes only.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Not familiar with how the House works. Looks like this issue might be over. A shame all lottery money in bordering counties of Tn, Ga, and Fl will go to benefit those states and not Alabama. Alabama still can't see the forest for the trees.
It can still be handled in a special election. Predictably, the anti-lottery contingent immediately started complaining about the cost - after they blocked the attempt to get it on the November ballot. TBF, I consider it an important enough issue to be handled in a special election...

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
More than, really. It's just a transparent tactic by the religious fringe to keep the people from voting in something they consider sinful...
There are some out there, like myself, who don't consider a lottery sinful in biblical terms but nonetheless don't want one in Alabama. I personally don't consider a lottery a desirable societal construct.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
There are some out there, like myself, who don't consider a lottery sinful in biblical terms but nonetheless don't want one in Alabama. I personally don't consider a lottery a desirable societal construct.
I understand that and the arguments behind it completely. I myself am ambivalent and I probably wouldn't be in favor if we weren't surrounded by states with legalized gambling. Living in a border county, I see the millions of Alabama dollars bleeding out to support the surrounding states' budgets. However, whether you face it or not, you are a fringe of a fringe in only opposing a lottery on non-religious grounds. I'd guess 95% of the people in this state who oppose a lottery are doing it on religious grounds alone and are listening to their pastors. In any event, the people of this state deserve the right to vote on the issue and I stand by my statement that the representatives blocking such are doing it on religious grounds and what they perceive the religious feelings of their constituents to be. To say that it's not a religious issue in this state is sticking your head in the sand. To resent government telling voters what their religious feelings should be about legalized gambling is only one small part of why I'm voting for Johnson...

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I am not 100% against it, but I also oppose it on non-religious reasons. I would have to see the actual proposal before I said yes or no. I share the fear the revenue will go into a black hole and will accomplish nothing but separating fools from their money.

I think meaningful tax reform would be a better way to help the state's budget. But that isn't going to happen so we get feel good band-aids like the lottery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I understand that and the arguments behind it completely. I myself am ambivalent and I probably wouldn't be in favor if we weren't surrounded by states with legalized gambling. Living in a border county, I see the millions of Alabama dollars bleeding out to support the surrounding states' budgets. However, whether you face it or not, you are a fringe of a fringe in only opposing a lottery on non-religious grounds. I'd guess 95% of the people in this state who oppose a lottery are doing it on religious grounds alone and are listening to their pastors. In any event, the people of this state deserve the right to vote on the issue and I stand by my statement that the representatives blocking such are doing it on religious grounds and what they perceive the religious feelings of their constituents to be. To say that it's not a religious issue in this state is sticking your head in the sand. To resent government telling voters what their religious feelings should be about legalized gambling is only one small part of why I'm voting for Johnson...
I don't doubt that a meaningful percentage of the opposition is religious in some way. Nevertheless, churchgoers have as much right to shape the types of communities they want to live in as the next person. As many on the left have reminded us from time to time when in the minority, our system of government is not one of pure majority rule so I am not moved by the idea that Alabamians deserve to vote on this matter. It really is the beauty of our state system when it's not bastardized by the federal government: those who find a lottery of vital importance to their daily lives can simply move a few miles in any direction and live in a community they find more desirable.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't doubt that a meaningful percentage of the opposition is religious in some way. Nevertheless, churchgoers have as much right to shape the types of communities they want to live in as the next person. As many on the left have reminded us from time to time when in the minority, our system of government is not one of pure majority rule so I am not moved by the idea that Alabamians deserve to vote on this matter. It really is the beauty of our state system when it's not bastardized by the federal government: those who find a lottery of vital importance to their daily lives can simply move a few miles in any direction and live in a community they find more desirable.
Just "WOW!" What other things do you think the people should be prevented from voting on by a corrupt legislature? I was being kind in assigning it strictly to religious grounds. A large number of them have been bought and paid for by existing gaming interests, but I guess that doesn't bother you either...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
BTW, this is not a "left/right" issue at all. It is, however, a libertarian issue...

Clubfitter

Hall of Fame
Feb 21, 2009
Meridianville, Al
www.amtrustwebsite.com
Living in a border county, I see the millions of Alabama dollars bleeding out to support the surrounding states' budgets....

The last time the lottery got so large (I live in Meridianville) traffic on a Saturday Late Afternoon on 231/431 in Meridianville (4 lights) was backed up bumper to bumper to Mt Charron (appx 4 to 5 miles). I was told that Tenn Highway patrol was directing traffic into all the lottery stops from the Tenn state line all the way to Fayetteville. A little like trying to drive in Destin, Fl on the 4th of July.

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
Just "WOW!" What other things do you think the people should be prevented from voting on by a corrupt legislature? I was being kind in assigning it strictly to religious grounds. A large number of them have been bought and paid for by existing gaming interests, but I guess that doesn't bother you either...
I don't think that the people should be forever barred from voting on a lottery. The process is not designed (in Alabama at least) for every whim of the people to be brought to a statewide vote. I do assume that at some point, possibly quite soon, there will be sufficient political will to bring the lottery issue to a statewide vote again. And maybe the voters will reject it once again. And maybe they won't.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I don't think that the people should be forever barred from voting on a lottery. The process is not designed (in Alabama at least) for every whim of the people to be brought to a statewide vote. I do assume that at some point, possibly quite soon, there will be sufficient political will to bring the lottery issue to a statewide vote again. And maybe the voters will reject it once again. And maybe they won't.
Glad to see you reverse field. Trump also, for that matter...

Tide1986

Suspended
Nov 22, 2008
Birmingham, AL
BTW, this is not a "left/right" issue at all. It is, however, a libertarian issue...
I never considered it a left/right issue even though I referenced the left in bringing up minority rights and the tyranny of the majority.

A state-run lottery is not a libertarian concept in my opinion. A private lottery that runs purely on voluntary association would be. In my opinion, having a lottery that is run by the state and with state revenue and expenses depending on the lottery defeats the idea of voluntary association even if one never buys a ticket.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I have been consistent in my opinion over time. I have not reversed field. However, I do agree that you may now better understand my position after further discussion.
Not so fast. First, you had no problem with the vote being withheld from the people. Then, you reversed and said that they should have a voice. By almost all standards, we have the worst legislature in the country, the most venal and corrupt. You had no problem with these conveniently priced and packaged legislators having the power to withhold the power to decide from the people. Then, you turn about again and assert that a state-run lottery is not consistent with libertarianism (it's not). Either that or private are fine. What's important is that the people and not corrupt politicians and bureaucrats decide. I think you're having a hard time making up your mind...

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
Excuse me for being late to the party, but did the state ever legalize bingo?? I seriously don't know??

I live in Swearengin Alabama north of the Tennessee river near Scottsboro on a hill we call Gunter mountain. Pretty much the middle hole of the Bible Belt!! ;) I was born in Guntersville in 1962 and have lived my whole life here in Marshall county.

I am still waiting on Marshall county to go wet even though a beer store is only 3 miles from me at the bottom of the mountain in Scottsboro city limits in Jackson county, which by the way is dry also!!! ;)

One of my fondest memories, stories, I like telling about living here was back in the fall of 1981 and the upcoming wet/dry referendum vote for Marshal county. Back then we had to go to New Hope, Madison county, to get beer, didn't sell the hard stuff anywhere but the ABC state store back then and that was in Huntsville. So it was beer, pretzels, fried pork skins, pickled eggs, pickled pigs feet or go to Huntsville!!! ;)

To get the hard stuff without driving to Huntsville, 65-70 something miles there and back, you had to go to Niggs!! Nigg Martin's house living close to the rock crusher in Claysville, or some other bootlegger on the mountain. Won't waste your time telling you their names as the story is about Nigg lol!!!

I was fresh out of high school and seeing this blonde gal that lived with her sister in a house trailer in Claysville, (north across the Guntersville river bridge), during that time and was there with her when the mail run one afternoon, a week or so before the vote day. My girlfriend asked if I would go get the mail for her so I retrieved the mail. On the way back to the house I seen Nigg's picture on the front page of a Southern Baptist news letter and that intrigued me enough to see what it was about. My favorite bootlegger a couple miles down the road is on the front page of a Southern Baptist news letter lol!!! ;) I reckon that was the first and last time I ever read anything from that news letter lol!!! ;)

Oh how I wish I had of kept that news letter now!! Nigg wrote about the evils of alcohol like no preacher could equal!! It was passionate, God fearing like he had never sold me and my buddies more pints of whiskey than a Red Cross blood drive collects in a year!! ;)

It was a touching letter he wrote to that Southern Baptist news letter I am here to tell you!!! I had to go see him right then I was so touched lol!!! ;)

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.