Bentley is calling a special session to introduce a LOTTERY bill. Did not see this

uafan4life

Hall of Fame
Mar 30, 2001
Florence, AL
I agree, with one caveat:

Do not earmark lottery profits for education or any other specific budgetary item; earmark it for the general fund.

Have a separate bill or rider that compels the State to contribute xx dollars - either a set amount or an amount to be estimated at the beginning of the budgetary process, not a percentage of anything related to lottery profits or contributions.

That way, when - not if - the lottery fails to meet expectations for a given year and under-contributes, it's the general fund that suffers and not education, for example.

As for simply having a lottery...
People who want to do so are going to play the lottery if they can, regardless. It's about time we kept some/most/all of the money Alabamians are spending on border States' lotteries in Alabama.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk

Clubfitter

Hall of Fame
Feb 21, 2009
Meridianville, Al
www.amtrustwebsite.com
I agree, with one caveat:

Do not earmark lottery profits for education or any other specific budgetary item; earmark it for the general fund.

Have a separate bill or rider that compels the State to contribute xx dollars - either a set amount or an amount to be estimated at the beginning of the budgetary process, not a percentage of anything related to lottery profits or contributions.

That way, when - not if - the lottery fails to meet expectations for a given year and under-contributes, it's the general fund that suffers and not education, for example.

As for simply having a lottery...
People who want to do so are going to play the lottery if they can, regardless. It's about time we kept some/most/all of the money Alabamians are spending on border States' lotteries in Alabama.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk
I totally agree. Basic needs in Alabama, in my opinion, need help the most. Be interesting to see the language in his proposed bill. Like what I hear him saying. Keep it simple. Hope partisan politics, Alabama style, does not derail the bill.

HSV256

1st Team
Sep 7, 2006
Huntsville, AlaBAMA
I totally agree. Basic needs in Alabama, in my opinion, need help the most. Be interesting to see the language in his proposed bill. Like what I hear him saying. Keep it simple. Hope partisan politics, Alabama style, does not derail the bill.
Might want to read the rest of the post...

Clubfitter

Hall of Fame
Feb 21, 2009
Meridianville, Al
www.amtrustwebsite.com
Might want to read the rest of the post...
My opinion is that the General Fund should be the beneficiary of the increased funding. The Lottery (according to Bentley) would produce 225 million. Think our General Fund budget is about 1.8 billion. That is about a 14% increase in funding for the general fund. Think the normal budgeting process each year should decide how the money is spent. The General fund touches all state needs. Do not believe there should be any earmarks to the lottery money. http://www.budget.state.al.us/pdf/2016/FY17GFHandout02-03-16.pdf

Last edited:

Clubfitter

Hall of Fame
Feb 21, 2009
Meridianville, Al
www.amtrustwebsite.com
My opinion is, "I guess Bentley really needs to distract people: Look, here's something shiny!!"

I guess it's easier for the GOP to swallow their qualms about SIN money than to fix the state tax code.
Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. Personally do not consider a lottery as SIN money. We all take chances in life. Church raffles, investing in our businesses, investing in the stock market, even driving down a 2 lane road at night is a gamble. The lottery as a sin tax has been overplayed to successfully defeat a lottery in Alabama for too long. Time to vote yes for a lottery in Alabama

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. Personally do not consider a lottery as SIN money. We all take chances in life. Church raffles, investing in our businesses, investing in the stock market, even driving down a 2 lane road at night is a gamble. The lottery as a sin tax has been overplayed to successfully defeat a lottery in Alabama for too long. Time to vote yes for a lottery in Alabama
I was referring to Seigleman's attempt to pass a lottery. The GOP responded with the "BUT IT'S SIN MONEY" argument.

Clubfitter

Hall of Fame
Feb 21, 2009
Meridianville, Al
www.amtrustwebsite.com
I was referring to Seigleman's attempt to pass a lottery. The GOP responded with the "BUT IT'S SIN MONEY" argument.
Misunderstood. No doubt the GOP has stood in the way of Seiglemans bill. The "Sin Money" argument gets a lot of Alabamians riled up. Evangelicals, of which I am one, in my opinion has used this issue as a badge of honor and necessary to be a member of the group. I don't believe this time around that that will win. I think the GOP hates Tax increases more than a lottery. They have already voted no on Bentleys tax increase initiative. If basic services in Ala are to be maintained, increased funding seems to be necessary. Think a Lottery is a no brainer.

Last edited:

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
I would be fine with blocking the lottery based on the sin money argument if they would eliminate all the taxes to my beer, whiskey, smokes and dancin girls. ;)

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
A lottery is a tax on irrational hope. The more irrational hope you have the higher the tax. (Not that this is a reason not to adopt one, just examing the issue with eyes open)

South Carolina, which is temperamentally similar to Alabama, got over the sin tax by "earmarking the proceeds for education."
Once adopted, the legislature simply reduced the education appropriations by the same amount that the lottery pumped into education. So, yes, the lottery proceeds went to pay for education, but the net effect was no change in education spending in the Palmetto State.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.