Alabama vs Ole Miss from 1969 (Youtube video)

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Re: Alabama vs Ole Miss from 1969(Youtube video)

Nope watch this replay. They ran it several times in 1969
They may have had some triple option plays in the arsenal, but it was not the classic wishbone as the style of offense Alabama ran. That came about in the 1971 pre-season. Darrell Royal even stated that Bryant called him every Sunday of the 1971 season to talk to Royal and Emory Bellard (the guy who really was responsible for developing it in college) to go over some specific things about it based on the previous day's game.

Sabanizer

Suspended
Dec 6, 2000

It would have been fun to watch the Musso years, the tail end of Coach Bryant's 1st era.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Are you sure about this?

I was not alive, but I've always been told that the 1965 Orange Bowl (Bama vs Texas in the game where Namath crossed the goal line) was the first. Furthermore, the NY Times and the USA Today College Football Encyclopedia say that it was the 65 Orange Bowl. And I do have the coach's film of that game and a small ad and it APPEARS to be a night game to me.
In researching the '65 Orange Bowl was the first prime time bowl game. I am surprised but I am wrong in two ways. Both these articles say the Alabama v. Miami game in 1968 was the first "regular season game" broadcast in primetime but the Bama/Ole Sis game gets all the credit.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...ootball-first-major-primetime-game-stands-out

http://www.classictvsports.com/2012/11/the-myth-about-first-prime-time-college.html

Cruiser

All-American
Sep 24, 2015

I was at the game; my first Bama game and still the most exciting one I have ever been to. The Bama crowd was chanting "Go to Hell Ole Miss, Go To Hell" even after the game was over and walking down the ramps.
I also went to high school with Musso; he was all everything in football, baseball, basketball, wrestling; he could even freakin' juggle. The Italian Stallion earned his name cause he got all the p..... he could handle.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011

Heck of a game and the story I remember was Steve Sloan was calling plays from the booth and threw down his headphones so he could not call the last Bama TD. Tried to find the story on the net, no luck. Maybe someone else can recall it.
I remember hearing that Scott Hunter was told to call his best play, so the final call was his to make. I believe it was on one of the old VHS tapes where former players were recalling their time playing for Coach Bryant.

Last edited:

DollarTaker

Suspended
Jul 17, 2015
Destin, FL

I have the entire game on vhs and I watch it at least once every year. Aside from the player sizes and loose outside coverage, the speed of the game is great. I wish Manning would have gone to a better team in the NFL, it would have been nice to see just how good he could have been. To coach Saban, please bring back the checker board goal post for at least 1 game.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
[video=youtube;T8K1pul_vCA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=T8K1pul_vCA#t=18 9[/video]
This has got to be the oldest Alabama broadcast game that i've ever seen.I've seen clips of older stuff but not an actual televised game.It's cool to see how different things were back then and how much has actually stayed the same.
I watched it live. I was 14 years old. One of the best games I've ever seen.

4Q Basket Case

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Nov 8, 2004
Tuscaloosa
Watched it at 10 years old, in a rented house on Dearing Place in Tuscaloosa.

Long story, but the one TV in the house was in my room. I was jumping on the bed, and when we stopped them on 4th and 1 near midfield late in the 4th quarter, I simultaneously cracked my head on the ceiling and knocked the slats out from under the bed.

Another long story short, my mother didn't like either result.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Was born 24 days AFTER this game, so perhaps I 'watched' it in utero, but I doubt it. Mom is an Auburn-area girl and ain't much of a football fan.

They were stationed at Craig AFB at the time and living in Selma.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS

Are you sure about this?

I was not alive, but I've always been told that the 1965 Orange Bowl (Bama vs Texas in the game where Namath crossed the goal line) was the first. Furthermore, the NY Times and the USA Today College Football Encyclopedia say that it was the 65 Orange Bowl. And I do have the coach's film of that game and a small ad and it APPEARS to be a night game to me.
It was the first regular season game ever broadcast in primetime.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011

It was the first regular season game ever broadcast in primetime.
Someone posted that the 1968 Bama/Miami game was the first regular season prime time game. My memory may not be as good as it once was, but I believe the Miami game started in the late afternoon. The 1969 game was definitely prime time. I was very young, but I remember I was so angry when the refs cheated us in the 1965 Orange Bowl. Namath indeed crossed the goal line. I hated Texas ever since, so you can imagine how happy I was when we beat them in 2009 for the NC.

westide

All-SEC
Jan 22, 2011

Well I guess my memory isn't that good. I saw an article that said the Miami game started at 8:30 ET.

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006

I, too, remember watching the broadcast. What a great night for Scott Hunter, but all anyone talked about afterwards was Manning. The one thing everyone agreed on - it was a heck of a game. I enjoyed watching it again, it's still a joy to watch Musso and company.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Back in the 90's, the Bryant museum produced a VHS series called Bama's greatest games. It was always hosted by Tom Roberts and Jon Forney up until his death. I remember watching those videos until they were worn out, and the Manning vs Hunter matchup was one of my favorites. I watched that game and the '93 championship game more times than I care to count. Still wish those videos were findable on dvd.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.