Spurrier Returning to Gainesville as Ambassador for the Gators

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I love Saban but I'd prefer he not hang around after he retires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Would you feel differently about Coach Bryant coming back, than Coach Saban, assuming they were both available?

The reason I ask is Coach Spurrier to Florida was more like Coach Bryant was to Alabama, IMHO.

More of a benevolent figure, if that makes any sense.

Not that Coach Saban isn't benevolent.... :)

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)
Would you feel differently about Coach Bryant coming back, than Coach Saban, assuming they were both available?

The reason I ask is Coach Spurrier to Florida was more like Coach Bryant was to Alabama, IMHO.

More of a benevolent figure, if that makes any sense.

Not that Coach Saban isn't benevolent.... :)
Well, Coach Bryant was the Athletic Director.:)

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Honestly, Bazza, no offense meant here - but neither Bryant or Saban have a history of publicly mocking decisions / people. Not to mention, that Spurrier never shies away from sharing his opinion - unless his personality of the last 25 years has suddenly change overnight, his behavior won't either...

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Honestly, Bazza, no offense meant here - but neither Bryant or Saban have a history of publicly mocking decisions / people. Not to mention, that Spurrier never shies away from sharing his opinion - unless his personality of the last 25 years has suddenly change overnight, his behavior won't either...
Point taken and absolutely no offense taken.

But if you had the choice of Coach Bryant or Coach Saban to come back as ambassador....who would you want (all things being equal except their heritage at Bama)?

I suspect most wouldn't hesitate to have Coach Bryant although I'm sure Coach Saban would be almost equally received.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California

But if you had the choice of Coach Bryant or Coach Saban to come back as ambassador....who would you want (all things being equal except their heritage at Bama)?

I suspect most wouldn't hesitate to have Coach Bryant although I'm sure Coach Saban would be almost equally received.
As long as they keep their mouths shut in public about coaching decisions (as in not criticizing them)...(and yes, I do mean that)

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

I'd take them both.

In fact, for a few years now I've thought that when Saban actually retires the University will create some sort of position such as 'Athletic Director of Football Operations' for him so he can still be involved, as I don't think he'll ever 'go to the lake and watch the ducks'.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Stallings didn't hang around to "help" the guys who replaced him.

I don't follow things as closely as some, but my impression is that SOS turns "who will play at qb" into a regular circus more seasons than not. So I'm not surprised he's already making his opinion about the Florida qb public. I would bet the farm McElwain would much rather he keep his opinion to himself.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
Stallings didn't hang around to "help" the guys who replaced him.

I don't follow things as closely as some, but my impression is that SOS turns "who will play at qb" into a regular circus more seasons than not. So I'm not surprised he's already making his opinion about the Florida qb public. I would bet the farm McElwain would much rather he keep his opinion to himself.
I think a few people might have gotten slapped around from the admin side if Coach Stallings would have stayed around.

mdb-tpet

All-SEC
Sep 2, 2004
Seems to me if SOS if going to be around the Gator program, he needs to be an Athletic Director or some similar position. I don't see him wanting to watch and have to keep his mouth shut or be ignored.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
Seems to me if SOS if going to be around the Gator program, he needs to be an Athletic Director or some similar position. I don't see him wanting to watch and have to keep his mouth shut or be ignored.

He'll spend most of his time out on the golf course.....yukking it up with all the Bull Gators....letting them improve their lie....that's when his temperament will be tested the most!

I hope he brings a ton of $$$ into the department. We need upgrades all over the place! :)

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.