Spurrier Returning to Gainesville as Ambassador for the Gators

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
"Ambassador for the Gators?"

I may be mixed up, but I thought ambassadors usually tried to generate good will or better relations for the bunch they represent.

Spurrier is so good at his zingers...(which I usually enjoy) they should have hired him as Head Needler, or Coach Aggravator.

Edit:

Now he can be Florida's Pat Dye.

Last edited:

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
I've said it many times on here: I like Spurrier, but the way he left last year was awful and I think he was given a pass. If CNS did that the media would have a meltdown.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Good move by Florida. Steve is a well respected guy and not a sleezebag like Dye.
And I'm sure McElwain is thrilled to have him on campus. SOS would never second guess or criticize Florida's head coach.

I like SOS myself, and find his barbs funny. But being known for zingers that insult the opposition seems contrary to being an ambassador.

Last edited:

Moro Creek

All-SEC
Jan 21, 2014
Equine country
And I'm sure McElwain is thrilled to have him on campus. SOS would never second guess or criticize Florida's head coach.

I like SOS myself, and find his barbs funny. But being known for zingers that insult the opposition seems contrary to being an ambassador.
I agree with what your saying, but comparing him to a jerk like Dye is just not right.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
This is way cool!

As far as his zingers....I truly hope we continue to see them! But as ambassador, I doubt they will be in the same context - as if he were the head ball coach.

Spurrier is no longer a head coach, but he wants to share the lessons he learned over his career to hopefully help others.

"I think it's important to be on a team,'' he said. "Since I was 7 years old, I have been on a team almost every year except some of my in-between coaching years. It's a wonderful feeling and certainly everyone that is a Gator, whether from attending the University of Florida or because they grew up simply loving the Gators, that's their team.

"It's really special to have a team. I am certainly looking forward to being on the big Gator team now and contributing any way I can. I think we all need a team to be on."
You have to keep in mind that Coach and his wife Jeri met when they were both attending UF in the 60's...they've been Gators all their lives! And now...they are home again. :)

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I love Saban but I'd prefer he not hang around after he retires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.