Michigan Gov. Snyder signs bill banning direct Tesla sales

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I would think the guy at the top of the ticket could be characterized as not exactly a free trader.
http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobil...n-states-that-ban-tesla-sales.html/?a=viewall

10 of the 27 states banning direct sales from Tesla are led by Republican governor, house, and senate. For a party that has long claimed to support free-market, there's not a lot of putting their money where their mouth is.

In fact, I suspect most of these 'free market champions' that vote against a true free market are bought and paid for shills.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Alabama is on the list. When was the ban put in place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
http://www.cheatsheet.com/automobil...n-states-that-ban-tesla-sales.html/?a=viewall

10 of the 27 states banning direct sales from Tesla are led by Republican governor, house, and senate. For a party that has long claimed to support free-market, there's not a lot of putting their money where their mouth is.

In fact, I suspect most of these 'free market champions' that vote against a true free market are bought and paid for shills.
I'm pretty much with Adam Smith on this one.
Adam SMith said:
People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices. It is impossible indeed to prevent such meetings, by any law which either could be executed, or would be consistent with liberty and justice. But though the law cannot hinder people of the same trade from sometimes assembling together, it ought to do nothing to facilitate such assemblies; much less to render them necessary. – The Wealth of Nations, Book I, Chapter X.
I'm pretty much agnostic on cars. I would not have the government favor or prohibit one type or another.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I suspect those laws have been on the books for decades. Long before the repubicans took control.

IOW, the demonrats enacted them.
The laws also may have existed before anyone dreamed of direct sales and there was good reason for the ban.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
The laws also may have existed before anyone dreamed of direct sales and there was good reason for the ban.
And yet now, they simply hinder free trade. Despite this, our 'free market Republicans' can't seem to muster the will to challenge those laws (or not sign them into law), despite having the trifecta (gov/house/senate).

IOW, more proof that the modern republican party is broken.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
And yet now, they simply hinder free trade. Despite this, our 'free market Republicans' can't seem to muster the will to challenge those laws (or not sign them into law), despite having the trifecta (gov/house/senate).

From looking at the link, it doesn't look like there has been any big push to change the laws. Maybe Tesla needs to grease some palms to get them changed.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
From looking at the link, it doesn't look like there has been any big push to change the laws. Maybe Tesla needs to grease some palms to get them changed.
Possibly, but that misses the point entirely...

If (huge if) the republicans were truly about the free-market, instead of simply using it as lip service pandering, they would be proactive about actually eliminating these sorts of laws / bans.

But they aren't proactive because they don't care about the free market.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

I've found a common thread in most people's political beliefs on "freedom"/"Liberty"/"Free trade"/ "Fair share" etc.

People are all for these concepts as long as it benefits them in being able to get or do what THEY want. But when these concepts also allow for other people to do the same but it just so happens to be for things they don't "believe in" then they're not for these concepts.

For example:

Friend of mine: "I don't want someone else controlling who I can and can't marry." But this same person doesn't want someone else to be able to have a gun in this country.....at all. He wants government controlling someone else's ability to protect them and their family.

Another friend of mine: "I don't want some other religion pushed down my kids throat in school." But advocates "putting God back in schools" in an official manner. "God" that just so happens to be of his specific religion. But doesn't want other religions to be allowed to do the same.

People in general (in some form or fashion and I'm including myself in this) are hypocrites in some area of their lives. Politics is a great platform to witness it. Over the years I've had to examine myself and begrudgingly admit to some myself.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I've found a common thread in most people's political beliefs on "freedom"/"Liberty"/"Free trade"/ "Fair share" etc.

People are all for these concepts as long as it benefits them in being able to get or do what THEY want. But when these concepts also allow for other people to do the same but it just so happens to be for things they don't "believe in" then they're not for these concepts.

For example:

Friend of mine: "I don't want someone else controlling who I can and can't marry." But this same person doesn't want someone else to be able to have a gun in this country.....at all. He wants government controlling someone else's ability to protect them and their family.

Another friend of mine: "I don't want some other religion pushed down my kids throat in school." But advocates "putting God back in schools" in an official manner. "God" that just so happens to be of his specific religion. But doesn't want other religions to be allowed to do the same.

People in general (in some form or fashion and I'm including myself in this) are hypocrites in some area of their lives. Politics is a great platform to witness it. Over the years I've had to examine myself and begrudgingly admit to some myself.
Not sure how this relates to this discussion, care to expound?

Gr8hope

All-American
Nov 10, 2010
Republicans are red,
Democrats are blue.
Neither one cares about you!

*Original quote edited to avoid ban from TideFans.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Not sure how this relates to this discussion, care to expound?
You're saying that Republicans parade around (so to speak) advocating free trade, free markets etc. But then in this situation their actions say otherwise. My point is republicans (and other parties) are "for" a lot of "things" when it benefits them but you'll find when that same belief doesn't benefit them or somehow hinders them they aren't for the same degree of (insert whatever belief, "free trade"). I guess I'm addressing an overarching implication of hypocrisy that is implied in what you're saying and saying it's not just the "Republicans". Granted, I agree, the republican party is a train wreck that needs to crash and blow up. Which is why I've disassociated myself with them all together.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Possibly, but that misses the point entirely...

If (huge if) the republicans were truly about the free-market, instead of simply using it as lip service pandering, they would be proactive about actually eliminating these sorts of laws / bans.

But they aren't proactive because they don't care about the free market.
Has Tesla asked the legislature to lift the ban? Has anyone from either party made a push to change the law?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.