Former Klansman Who Bombed 16th Street Church Up For Parole

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I guess you don't know the entire title of that documentary movie by Dinesh D'Souza. Look at the subtitle. It's about corruption and racism in the Democratic Party going back to the time of Andrew Jackson with his racist Trail of Tears and moving forward through all the years of the racist Democratic Party pro-slavery, etc. You'd think they are not racists to hear them talk, but their current Plantation is the inner city ghettos.

I suspect the larger problem I'd have with D'Souza's work is that it's probably simplistic in the opposite direction.

There are two myths, neither of them true but propounded. The first goes like this: 'the only reason the Republicans won the White House all but once from 1968-1992 is because they became the party of the racists' and then we're quoted a shorthand of "Goldwater voted against the 1964 act, Nixon's Southern strategy, Reagan's states rights, and Bush's Willie Horton." Sounds good and has 10% of truth at most to it. The old 'the Democrats all became Republicans' myth is nonsense since in terms of national recognition only Strom Thurmond actually did. The others - Wallace, Stennis, Eastland, Long - all stayed Democrats.

The other myth is the one the Republicans try by quoting what percentage of Republicans voted for the CRA of 1964 as opposed to Democrats, completely ignoring the context of the time. Besides, in the 1960s BOTH parties covered wider swaths of the political spectrum. There were conservative Democrats and liberal Republicans and so-called moderates in both parties. What basically happened was the Democrats - concurrent with the race issue - cut themselves apart from the centrism of the country at large by instituting quotas for everything you can name, including in their selection of delegates. As the political process changed from nominations determined primarily by the party apparatus to the primary system, some of the old guard in the Democratic Party got tossed aside. McGovern ticked off so many that went running to the Republicans that it took an entire generation to recover. And the Republicans were aided in the purge by nominating a former union President (Reagan) who spoke their language combined with their abandonment of veterans/military personnel from the perspective of such things as pardoning all the draft dodgers and reducing the defense outlay. At that time, almost everyone had served at least two years in the military because of the compulsory draft.

The ultimate irony is that the very Republican base created by the Democratic purge has aged and died off while the GOP has long assumed it would always be there. The Republicans have spent the bulk of their time since 1998 flushing the party of allies not deemed conservative enough (I say 1998 because that's the year they destroyed Gingrich over the mid-terms). The military portion of the base no longer exists because Nixon did away with the draft. (This has also drastically increased defense spending because you have to be competitive with the civilian sector to get people when you're not forcing them into two years of service).

In short, the GOP of 1998-present has been a victim of its own success by confusing winning elections with endorsement of their ideas en toto. Amazingly enough, you'd think that the party as a whole would realize they're doing the exact same thing the Democrats did from 1968-1992, when they kept getting clobbered in Presidential elections. Just like the Democrats, the GOP are winning enough elections (like holding both houses and the bulk of states) that they're not taking a close enough look at their national problem.

Race had very little to do with that one way or the other. JFK calculated in the fall of 1963 that when they passed the CRA of 1964, the Democrats would lose 4-5 white votes in the South for every black one they got. But politics is more complicated than that. The so-called New South rose with governors like Terry Stanford and William Winter and - yes - Jimmy Carter.

Now, I don't dispute the notion Democrats fire off the racist accusation like Trump firing off an ignorant tweet, but I figure it's all a tactic anyway. I was sitting in a history class (the teacher was black) when each of us went up to present who we favored in the upcoming Presidential election. Two black girls sitting behind me and one was for the Republican. The other one then told her that she couldn't vote for the Republican because - and I really wish I was making this up - "he's gonna send the blacks back to Africa." I thought nothing of it. But imagine my utter shock when the girl who was told this walked up in front of the entire class and said she was for the Democrat because the Republican "is gonna send the blacks back to Africa."

My jaw dropped. So, too, did the teacher's jaw, and he was a black Democrat who had lived through the Civil Rights era. He asked her to cite a source supporting it, and she just stood there looking at her feet.

Now that story is ridiculous, right? But it's true. The problem is that we actually have people of all races and political persuasions who actually believe stuff like that. Adults who ought to know better. I've watched people make up stories whole cloth about Clinton, Bush, Obama, Romney......and then the story is told among a group of like-minded non-thinkers and it becomes 'fact.'

My point - tied to the old racist argument - folks just don't look all that deeply on the whole. People can be conned into supporting anyone if their prejudice is jiggered just right. And that's true across the board.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Goldwater's position was (basically) anything that important needs to be an Amendment to the Constitution.

Anyone who thinks Goldwater held the same beliefs as a certain VP, who is the son of a certain racist Senator, is ignorant of the man, his actions, and beliefs.

Tidewater

Hall of Fame
Mar 15, 2003
Hooterville, Vir.
My point - tied to the old racist argument - folks just don't look all that deeply on the whole. People can be conned into supporting anyone if their prejudice is jiggered just right. And that's true across the board.
I think it has gone a step beyond that. It used to be people would believe some garbage and then unthinkingly support a party.
I think that now, many people (too many, really) just support the party and save themselves the trouble of thinking why. We now start (and end) with the position, "I'm a member of the donkey (or elephant) tribe and I view. Every. Single. Issue. Through the prism of whether it helps or hurts my tribe."

And the good of the country matters less and less each election cycle.

Last edited:

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I think it has gone a step beyond that. It used to be people would believe some garbage and then unthinkingly support a party.
I think that now, many people (too many, really) just support the party and save themselves the trouble of thinking why. We now start (and end with the position, "I'm a member of the donkey (or elephant) tribe and I view. Every. Single. Issue. Through the prism of whether it helps or hurts my tribe."

I am inclined to agree.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I think that now, many people (too many, really) just support the party and save themselves the trouble of thinking why. We now start (and end with the position, "I'm a member of the donkey (or elephant) tribe and I view. Every. Single. Issue. Through the prism of whether it helps or hurts my tribe."

The only place where I'd divert from your (basically correct) assessment is that somehow I have a bunch of people supporting Trump because "Rubio is a phony because he was part of the Gang of Eight" and "Cruz is a phony because (fill in the blank)." And yet Trump is the biggest phony of the three. He's a bigger phony than Hillary is.

So they diss Rubio because he tried to finesse immigration but even the most astute ones will admit Trump has no prayer of building a damned wall.......and yet they vote for him.

I have an aunt who comes from old rich liberal stock in NC/VA. Their son (my cousin) is gay. So I certainly understand her 'liking' news stories on Facebook about gay rights and even Hillary. That much I get. But then the same shallow individual (who because of her stock looks down her nose in general at society) regurgitates memes from groups like Occupy Democrats that blast Trump as a liar. Hey, I don't mind that......but don't even pretend Trump's lies actually bother you if you're voting for the other liar, okay?

But another thing happened WITHIN the GOP this year......how in the hell do the Senators and old stalwarts like Bob Dole come out for TRUMP over Cruz? I get that Cruz is unpopular and hated by his own party and some of the stories BiB told here, but he'd be a helluva lot more responsible in what he says than Trump. And at his age, there's at least the possibility of maturity and evolution on things.

Enough, my BP is going to rise again if I don't watch it. And granted, this really has nothing to do with the OP, either.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Trump is 70. If he hasn't evolved and matured by now, he isn't going to.

Dole is 93. I wonder how aware he is of Trump's antics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
I have no sympathy for this subhuman scum. If he's realized the gross error of his ways, let God have mercy on his soul when his time on earth is finished. And not a second of it in freedom.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
I'd say force him to move into general population.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Lets put it like this...if one of those kids had been a child of mine he wouldn't need parole...I would.
I understand the sentiment and even essentially agree with it - but a black person in Alabama in 1963 didn't really have that option on numerous levels.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.