Alabama the #4 All Time CFB Program (according to AP)

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Doesn't matter - it is still a championship. But we can agree to disagree.
I guess. But when a team like OSU has a losing bowl record (22–24 (.478)), it tends to shed light on how strong (or rather, how weak) their conference has been, historically speaking.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Never really cared about this at all. They just added up all the poll points over 80 years of the poll. This just means that Ohio State has spent the most time near the top of the polls which is a testament to their consistency at putting a quality team on the field but doesn't mean they're actually the best team of the AP era.

fireater

All-SEC
Oct 12, 2008
Laramie, WY
Never really cared about this at all. They just added up all the poll points over 80 years of the poll. This just means that Ohio State has spent the most time near the top of the polls which is a testament to their consistency at putting a quality team on the field but doesn't mean they're actually the best team of the AP era.
Maybe sir, quote should read "This just means that Ohio State has choked more when they had to play November opposition that actually played football".

What matters, as oft stated in this thread, is the end result.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
I guess. But when a team like OSU has a losing bowl record (22–24 (.478)), it tends to shed light on how strong (or rather, how weak) their conference has been, historically speaking.
I do not consider most bowl game outcomes to be relevant. Most of those games simply don't put the same teams on the field that we see in the regular season. But if you believe that teams prepare for bowl games in the same way that you prepare for regular season games, I can see why you would feel this way.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I do not consider most bowl game outcomes to be relevant. Most of those games simply don't put the same teams on the field that we see in the regular season. But if you believe that teams prepare for bowl games in the same way that you prepare for regular season games, I can see why you would feel this way.
What is Ohio State's record I'm bowl games that do matter?

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I seem to recall learning about GIGO (Garbage-in Garbage-out) when I took my statistics class in college. If you start with somewhat arbitrary opinions (human polls), it does not matter how much analysis you perform on that data, you still end up with somewhat arbitrary opinions.

If someone created a points system based on NFL draft picks, and awarded points to each college program since the beginning of the draft, I think you would have a fairly good representation of the best teams. It wouldn't be perfect, but no formula would be.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.