Alabama the #4 All Time CFB Program (according to AP)

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
This pretty much sums up my thoughts on it. The mathematical formula they used doesn't give enough weight to NCs..

ohiotide14

1st Team
Jan 3, 2012
Youngstown, OH
Basically this line of thought rewards a school for being ranked number one at anytime during a season but not finishing number one. Thought the goal was to finish number one?

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Here's the time frame that damaged us the most by using their metrics:

Poll point:From Nov. 3, 1980-Oct. 26, 2008, Alabama was only ranked No. 1 once _ the final poll of the 1992 season. The Tide has been top-ranked 43 times since under coach Nick Saban.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Basically this line of thought rewards a school for being ranked number one at anytime during a season but not finishing number one. Thought the goal was to finish number one?
It gave 10 points for a title and 2 points for being ranked #1, so it weighed the title 5x over the the ranking. This is much ado about nothing. This is really ranking the most consistent programs over time, regardless of what they call it.

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
I can understand coming up with a points system and sticking to it so you could public something, but they could have done a lot more with this.

I would have allowed users to assign their our point values to a variety of things and allowed users to generate their own lists.

* Bama fans don't like only 10 points for NC's, change it to 15.
* Only want to count from years after integration, free substitution, or scholarship limits, go for it.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
As an OSU grad, I agree with you guys. Any metric of greatness in college football which places Alabama anywhere but #1 is a sham. My bet is that someone did the math a few times with different formulas until they got the results that they were looking for.

ohiotide14

1st Team
Jan 3, 2012
Youngstown, OH
It gave 10 points for a title and 2 points for being ranked #1, so it weighed the title 5x over the the ranking. This is much ado about nothing. This is really ranking the most consistent programs over time, regardless of what they call it.
so if you were ranked number one for nine weeks but lost national championship you got 18 pts? But if you were ranked number two for nine weeks and won national championship you got 10 pts?

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
As an OSU grad, I agree with you guys. Any metric of greatness in college football which places Alabama anywhere but #1 is a sham. My bet is that someone did the math a few times with different formulas until they got the results that they were looking for.
Whatever happened to that fifteen year old kid that proclaimed API #1 with that sham of a poll back in 2004? Perhaps we have found him? :cool2:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Before I unload a nuclear bomb on the methodological flaws in this, I have only one question: do you get two points for EACH #1 ranking?

In other words, if you start at #1 you get 2 points and then get 2 more points if you stay number one for week two, etc?

That's all I want to know before torpedoing this.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
so if you were ranked number one for nine weeks but lost national championship you got 18 pts? But if you were ranked number two for nine weeks and won national championship you got 10 pts?
That's what it sounds like. I wasn't saying I agreed with their system, just pointing out that there is some extra credit for the win. It's the offseason, the magazines have to come up with something to get all of the fan bases in a twist about.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Before I unload a nuclear bomb on the methodological flaws in this, I have only one question: do you get two points for EACH #1 ranking?

In other words, if you start at #1 you get 2 points and then get 2 more points if you stay number one for week two, etc?

That's all I want to know before torpedoing this.
Have at it, but I think it's based on their weekly poll. Two points for every week you are ranked #1. So, if I understand correctly, "yes" to your question.

Now load up on this and fire away.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I'm at work until six, but I'm off tomorrow, so I can stay up late tonight.

Lots of easy targets here but here's a sick one - we're now paying for getting hose din 1966 yet again, 50 years later.

I'll explain in my response.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm at work until six, but I'm off tomorrow, so I can stay up late tonight.

Lots of easy targets here but here's a sick one - we're now paying for getting hose din 1966 yet again, 50 years later.

I'll explain in my response.
I'm sure you can also elaborate on how now that there is a more "objective" standard for determining championships since the inception of the BCS and now CFP that Bama is regularly winning even more than ever before and that before it was a matter of luck to sometimes be able to "claim" a title with the polling services bias, bowl-game draws, split NCs, etc. :)

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Any formula that values a #2 ranking the same as it values a #25 ranking might as well be throwing darts. Furthermore, the difference between #25 and #26 (which despite not assigning a ranking can be tracked) should not be greater than the difference between #2 and #25, obviously, but it is. For the purpose of this stupid ranking, being #1 or being #25 at any point other than the final poll is actually as significant as the difference between #25 and #26 (which is nonsense). Think about that for a little while.

Now, how should anyone that's not a complete moron come up with a ranking?
1: They would only use the final poll.
2: They would assign point values to each place in a poll, 25 points for #1, 1 point for #25 ranking.
3: They would assign additional point values for each #1 vote. I'd have to look at the number of voters to come up with that, but it would be similar to the point bonus they already gave.
4: They would also assign points for 26-29 if applicable. .8, .6, .4 and .2 points respectively.

Now that's far from perfect, obviously. But it's a whole two minutes devoted to the topic and still a far better ranking system than the absurdity they came up with.

It gave 10 points for a title and 2 points for being ranked #1, so it weighed the title 5x over the the ranking.
No, that isn't how they did it. They gave Ohio State points 105 times, for being ranked #1 in the poll. Ohio State didn't win 105 titles, but they got the point bonus for each poll they had a #1 ranking in, even if it ended up meaning nothing. They actually valued being ranked #1 throughout the year more than winning the championship, which is all kind of stupid.

Just look at this part of it. Alabama won 10 AP titles and Ohio State won 5. Yet, because this formula is made by morons, Ohio State (bonus championship points aside) actually got 62 more points for being ranked #1 than Alabama! That makes no sense, Alabama wins twice as many titles, but Ohio State holds the record for meaningless #1 rankings so they rack up points anyway?

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.