2016 Fall Camp Thread (Practice Reports, Press Conferences, Interviews, etc.)

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Taylor was never the most athletic OL. Then he compounded that with a poor performance against Clemson (to be fair, he was playing against a couple of first-class DLs that night, and got no help from his RT Jackson).

Still, I'm guessing what got him deep in the doghouse was not so much the performance against Clemson, but his response to a sub-par outing on the national stage. He gained flabby weight, despite having world-class nutrition available to him at a cost of $0. On top of the weight issue, he was otherwise out of shape. Then he compounded all of that with a DUI.

He has a loooonnnnggg way to go to prove he's reliable in the clutch. I hate it, but it really is self-inflicted.
i saw the clemson game differently. i thought jackson got no help from shank. there were several plays where it looked like jackson epected shank to reach block as jackson punched and released downfield, but shank never got there...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
That stuff is just hard to know without also knowing the calls and sight adjustments they should make against the front. All I can really say about the CFPCG is that the right side of the OL had a bad night at the office.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
how can you get a dui when you blow a 0.0?
Arresting officer's discretion because you can get a DUI for more than just alcohol consumption. If the driver displays signs of impaired physical dexterity, they can arrest the driver and have blood work done to look for other drugs or alcohol in their system.

Under appreciated fact: many of the on-location tests for drugs have a pretty high false positive and false negative rate. Breathalyzers can be faulty.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
That stuff is just hard to know without also knowing the calls and sight adjustments they should make against the front. All I can really say about the CFPCG is that the right side of the OL had a bad night at the office.
that's true - jackson could have made a wrong read or not gotten the call from kelly on some of them, but there were many instances where shank was obviously trying to make the reach block and just didn't get there. Still hard to know if jackson should have held the point for another count, or if shank was just too slow on his feet. maybe a little of both...

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Taylor looks like he still has a ways to go to get into good shape. This is what caused his original demotion from first team..

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Evans is gonna have his hands in the dirt quite a bit, so it makes sense that they want him to be just a tad bit bulkier.

I'm surprised Foster has slimmed down so much though.

Wilson Monroe

1st Team
Jul 19, 2016
Arresting officer's discretion because you can get a DUI for more than just alcohol consumption. If the driver displays signs of impaired physical dexterity, they can arrest the driver and have blood work done to look for other drugs or alcohol in their system.

Under appreciated fact: many of the on-location tests for drugs have a pretty high false positive and false negative rate. Breathalyzers can be faulty.

This is very true. I have a trainer's class c license to train BAT's on breathalyzer machines for DOT. They use the same type of devices as police officers. The machine can go out of calibration very quickly. Alcohol in the mouth dissipates after 15 min. All officers are required to wait at least that long for confirmation testing after the initial screen. That's why a second test is typically performed at the station house. They have a better unit at the station that is more closely monitored for calibration. There is also the fact that if the test subject is non-cooperative that can constitute a failure of the test.

There was an attorney in the Shoals area in the early 2000's that got a large number of tests thrown out for lack of documentation of machine calibration.

Last edited:

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Evans is gonna have his hands in the dirt quite a bit, so it makes sense that they want him to be just a tad bit bulkier.

I'm surprised Foster has slimmed down so much though.
Evans is also a good bit taller than Foster, so him at 240 might not be any more muscular than foster at 225. It is a bit shocking that foster's at 225 and I could see the coaches wanting to get just a bit more weight on him as long as he puts on good weight and not bad.

It'll be interesting to see how much time Evans spends with a hand in the dirt. We've got a lot of guys who can come off the edge and it would create some interesting zone blitz capabilities to keep those guys in and Evans in the middle standing up as an additional potential rusher, but any of them able to come and others dropping into coverage.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Evans is also a good bit taller than Foster, so him at 240 might not be any more muscular than foster at 225. It is a bit shocking that foster's at 225 and I could see the coaches wanting to get just a bit more weight on him as long as he puts on good weight and not bad.
Good point. Evans is listed at 6'3 compared to Foster's listed height of 6'1. Those two inches do make a difference (if the listings are correct).

It'll be interesting to see how much time Evans spends with a hand in the dirt. We've got a lot of guys who can come off the edge and it would create some interesting zone blitz capabilities to keep those guys in and Evans in the middle standing up as an additional potential rusher, but any of them able to come and others dropping into coverage.
That's my thinking, too. Evans has been with the ILB all of camp and is working at the Will spot behind SDH. If he can rotate with SDH, his speed at ILB will be great against the spread teams. We saw what he can do from the position against Clemson.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Yeah. Toss in the occasional corner blitz to keep things interesting.

We appear to have an obscene amount of speed across the defense, and Pruitt likes to be aggressive.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Saban speaking to the media after practice...

Saban: I see our players making a little bit of progress and improvement every single day.
Saban says the conditions in the indoor facility were "easier" for the players today. Team went inside because of the weather.
Saban: Mature competitors can compete no matter what the circumstances
Saban: "This fall camp is all about how many guys can put into position to play winning football."
Saban:
"We've played a lot of young players around here, but they've got to show maturity. That's what we're looking for"
Saban: Our thoughts and prayers are with John Saunders family and friends. He was someone we always enjoyed working with.
Saban: We have done everything we can do instutionally for the SEC to make the decision on Maurice Smith.
Saban: Joshua Jacobs has a thigh contusion. He's day to day.
Saban on Kendall Sheffield: We just keep trying to work reps reps reps so he can play his position with more instinct.
Saban on Brandon Greene: We let him focus on being a tight end. He's a mismatch player (as a blocker).
Saban: I feel a lot better of the tight end position. I like the way the young guys are playing (Forristall/Irv Smith).
Saban on Calvin Ridley: "He's a hard guy to cover, he's gotten a little bigger and stronger."
Saban on DBs: It's going to be important for these young guys to provide the kind of depth we need.
Saban on Minkah Fitzpatrick: This year he's having to play corner and Star. I'd like to have a guy not have to do both.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.