2016 Fall Camp Thread (Practice Reports, Press Conferences, Interviews, etc.)

Harmost

All-American
Sep 19, 2005
Getting the feeling DB play could be a little spotty early on in the season until we find the winning arrangement. It would be great if we had a full year of Tony Brown.

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Getting the feeling DB play could be a little spotty early on in the season until we find the winning arrangement. It would be great if we had a full year of Tony Brown.
Starters are no doubters as far as the two corners and the safeties are concerned. It does get interesting when they go nickel and dime but we will have better athletes on the field as a overall unit than we have had in quite a while.

Intl.Aperture

All-American
Aug 12, 2015
Chesapeake, Virginia
I agree with this wholeheartedly. Brown has shown that he's a freak athlete with great physicality and he knows the system by now. His pending absence is truly a detriment to this defenses potency - but it's what Coach Saban preaches, you do the right things not just for your own benefit but for the rest of the teams benefit. When you do the wrong things you don't just let yourself down you let down every guy who HAS done the right things and HAS put the work and sweat into getting it right. We see that manifesting with TB now.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Maybe I'm wrong and Saban is being honest here, but I took his comments to be directed to the players telling the capable guys for the spot that one of them has to step up and take it. Maybe he was meaning the other guys have to continue to develop and learn, but I took it more as one of his "speaking to the players through the media" comments.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
Sheffield may be making a move.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk
Sheffield appears to have done well and is now our third best CB behind Hump and Fitz.

I think the point Saban is trying to make is that we don't have another good option at Star so Fitz is having to rep at CB for when we are in base (not that often), and Star in other packages. It's probably better, especially for a younger guy, to focus on one instead of having to learn both so in a perfect world, Fitz would stay out at CB full time.

Mo was supposed to be the starting Star and had been getting all the reps with the ones, but he's bailing. Brown was likely next in line, but it's not certain when he can play. Star is a bit unique since it also requires a pretty heavy dose of run support, and not all CBs have that skillset.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Maybe I'm wrong and Saban is being honest here, but I took his comments to be directed to the players telling the capable guys for the spot that one of them has to step up and take it. Maybe he was meaning the other guys have to continue to develop and learn, but I took it more as one of his "speaking to the players through the media" comments.
I agree and Coach does that extremely well. I recall seeing a quote from Ridley saying it was hard to get open against Anthony Averitt since he was so fast. I'm hoping Averitt can mature enough at all the skills required to be a big contributor.

BamaMark.

1st Team
Jun 21, 2012
I kinda took it as a shot at Maurice Smith and the folks taking shots at Saban for not giving him his release at first. Would Minkah be playing both roles if Smith were still here? I think coach is saying he had a role on this team and it is actually in his best interest to have stayed...

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
"Saban on Minkah Fitzpatrick: This year he's having to play corner and Star. I'd like to have a guy not have to do both."

I found that interesting.
I think Javier Arenas was the last guy we had who played the whole season moving between field/boundary and star corner. The growth of Marquis Johnson in 2009 helped solidify a relative weakness we had on the outside in nickel in that 2008-2009 time fame.

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL
I kinda took it as a shot at Maurice Smith and the folks taking shots at Saban for not giving him his release at first. Would Minkah be playing both roles if Smith were still here? I think coach is saying he had a role on this team and it is actually in his best interest to have stayed...
This actually makes a lot of sense. I hadn't considered that angle.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Anyone who knows anything KNOWS that Maurice Smith was one of our three best corners coming into Fall camp and was the nickel corner with the first team in the Spring. The national media who made it out like Saban was trying to bury him in the depth chart simply don't know jack.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Anyone who knows anything KNOWS that Maurice Smith was one of our three best corners coming into Fall camp and was the nickel corner with the first team in the Spring. The national media who made it out like Saban was trying to bury him in the depth chart simply don't know jack.
True.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
Back to the subject. we have two threads on Maurice Smith LOL.

Freshman RB BJ Emmons is making lot of noise in the fall camp. He may just push for playing time this fall.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I mean the whispers about Emmons in the Spring were that only grades could have kept him off the field this Fall.

Last edited:

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
National media = haters gonna hate.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.