2016 Fall Camp Thread (Practice Reports, Press Conferences, Interviews, etc.)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
We've been fine at QB under Saban but I'd argue that we've never had a QB quite like a Mark Ingram at tailback or CJ Mosley at LB or Amari Cooper at WR. So we're in uncharted territory for how a QB battle looks when you have a young man who is special talent. Hurts may be the closest we've had to that kind of player and he's arrived at a perfect time to interject in the starter discussion. Saban seems to stick with incumbents but when it is open then everyone gets a shot.
I believe you are right, with the exception of AJ (who was described as a game manager, but without him we would have not won as many games).

But I understand your analogy and I think you could be right. With the exception of AJ, under CNS, I've always felt like the qb position was not our greatest strength on offense because it was usually a running back or receiver. Now, with a couple of these young qbs and recruits coming next year, I think the we may become known as "QB U" again -- harkening back to the qbs we had in the 60's.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I believe you are right, with the exception of AJ (who was described as a game manager, but without him we would have not won as many games).

But I understand your analogy and I think you could be right. With the exception of AJ, under CNS, I've always felt like the qb position was not our greatest strength on offense because it was usually a running back or receiver. Now, with a couple of these young qbs and recruits coming next year, I think the we may become known as "QB U" again -- harkening back to the qbs we had in the 60's.
I think AJ was more than a game manager by the end of 2011 but he was the kind of prospect that needed seasoning.

LA4Bama

All-SEC
Jan 5, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Tuesday, August 16 practice reports

BOL

Al.com
I haven't heard anything about Tim Williams in any reports. It seems the reports are often about nickel packages and I would have thought TW would be on that formation as a pass rusher. Anyone know if he is alright?

edit: nevermind... I just looked at the AL.com report and I see he's listed

Last edited:

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
I haven't heard anything about Tim Williams in any reports. It seems the reports are often about nickel packages and I would have thought TW would be on that formation as a pass rusher. Anyone know if he is alright?

When we go full lineup for the nickel - I wouldn't be surprised at all if Tim was on the other side from Anderson. Even though the alignment looks like a 4-2-5, the players we often use are 2-4-5 since the DE's in our nickel are often the OLBs from a practice/position standpoint.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Saban presser time...

Saban: Focus on last three practices was improvement after watching film Sunday.
Saban: Some of these things are attitude things.
Saban: When it comes to effort and attitude, these are not God-given gifts.. those who have committed to how we do things here have succeded
Saban: We are trying to establish confidence in our younger players
Saban: I'm happy to announce Jamey Mosley earned a scholarship. He earned it.
Saban: Kendall Sheffield has not been here for last couple of days. I don't know what his status is so don't ask me.
Saban: When people get outcome-oriented, it creates a lot of anxiety in performance.
Saban: Anthony Averett is a solid third corner and he could play if we needed him to in nickel.
Saban: We have a lack of depth in the secondary so we're trying Treyvon Diggs and Keaton Anderson there.
Saban said Keaton Anderson is being looked at as a Money.
Saban says "Keaton (Anderson) is a great competitor & really smart, his size has been a factor at LB. ... It's an experiement based on need"
Saban: There is no cutoff time for Kendall Sheffield returning. School starts tomorrow. That's what they're here for.
Saban on Sheffield: We want what's best for the people on our team.

Last edited:

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Saban presser time...

Saban: Focus on last three practices was improvement after watching film Sunday.
Saban: Some of these things are attitude things.
Saban: When it comes to effort and attitude, these are not God-given gifts.. those who have committed to how we do things here have succeded
Saban: We are trying to establish confidence in our younger players
Saban: I'm happy to announce Jamey Mosley earned a scholarship. He earned it.
Saban: Kendall Sheffield has not been here for last couple of days. I don't know what his status is so don't ask me.
Saban: When people get outcome-oriented, it creates a lot of anxiety in performance.
Saban: Anthony Averett is a solid third corner and he could play if we needed him to in nickel.
Saban: We have a lack of depth in the secondary so we're trying Treyvon Diggs and Keaton Anderson there.
Saban said Keaton Anderson is being looked at as a Money.
Saban says "Keaton (Anderson) is a great competitor & really smart, his size has been a factor at LB. ... It's an experiement based on need"
Saban: There is no cutoff time for Kendall Sheffield returning. School starts tomorrow. That's what they're here for.
Saban on Sheffield: We want what's best for the people on our team.

Hopefully Sheffield reconsiders if in fact he's thinking about going home to Texas.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
A blogger says another blogger reports according to sources

pretty lukewarm in terms of veracity there...

I don't think there is anything to worry about when it comes to Tim.

Sent from my iPhone 6+ using Tapatalk

tusks_n_raider

Hall of Fame
May 13, 2009
Mobile, AL
I just don't understand the Sheffield thing? Hasn't he been the starting CB opposite Humphrey in all the Dime and Nickel packages when Minkah switches over??? Which will be the lineup most of the time because everyone passes so much. He is and has been the starter as of this past week....as a Sophomore? What in the world could be wrong now at the last minute?

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
Like it could be 100% true but that isn't exactly the kind of sourcing I buy immediately. Saban's comments seem to indicate that the young man is weighing some options right now.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Sheffield leaving (if he does) would be one of the most baffling we have seen in a while. He's a redshirt freshman who was in line for either a starting position or a fair amount of playing time. On the best team in America. Where exactly is he going to go to get a better situation?

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Sheffield leaving (if he does) would be one of the most baffling we have seen in a while. He's a redshirt freshman who was in line for either a starting position or a fair amount of playing time. On the best team in America. Where exactly is he going to go to get a better situation?
With all of this obviously being true, it`s just as obvious, I think, that there must be other factors in play.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
With all of this obviously being true, it`s just as obvious, I think, that there must be other factors in play.
That will be the question if it turns out to be true he's leaving - what would cause two guys slated for, or at least in the top of the competition for, significant PT to leave from one position group?

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.