Link: Cute cat picture...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Saw that. We're going to the coast in a few weeks and the Mrs. wants to take some trails through the redwoods where bears and Cougars and such are known to roam. Yay! :)
In CA, those would be black bears, so there's really not too much to worry about there, just don't surprise them. Also, the redwoods are so open. The trees are widely spaced and there's practically no underbrush and other cover at all. IOW, not that cat-friendly. I don't think I'd worry that much. There are far worse places for attack worries in CA...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
In CA, those would be black bears, so there's really not too much to worry about there, just don't surprise them. Also, the redwoods are so open. The trees are widely spaced and there's practically no underbrush and other cover at all. IOW, not that cat-friendly. I don't think I'd worry that much. There are far worse places for attack worries in CA...
Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park is only 20-30 miles from where we will be and there was an attack there in 2007. I realize the chance is small anyway, but I like to be aware and these cats have a huge range. Unlikely, but not out of the question.

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Mammals/Mountain-Lion/Attacks

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Prairie Creek Redwoods State Park is only 20-30 miles from where we will be and there was an attack there in 2007. I realize the chance is small anyway, but I like to be aware and these cats have a huge range. Unlikely, but not out of the question.

https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/Conservation/Mammals/Mountain-Lion/Attacks
I don't think any place they've been seen within 100 miles can be deemed completely safe. I was just saying that, relatively speaking, I'd feel a lot safer in redwoods, than in, for example, the Rockies. I've spent weeks in the Rockies in Wyoming and Colorado and have felt "observed." I can't really recall that feeling in redwoods. I'm just saying that, relatively speaking, I'd feel pretty safe in redwood country as opposed to territory with a lot of cover...

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I don't think any place they've been seen within 100 miles can be deemed completely safe. I was just saying that, relatively speaking, I'd feel a lot safer in redwoods, than in, for example, the Rockies. I've spent weeks in the Rockies in Wyoming and Colorado and have felt "observed." I can't really recall that feeling in redwoods. I'm just saying that, relatively speaking, I'd feel pretty safe in redwood country as opposed to territory with a lot of cover...
I feel relatively safe, just not completely safe. it's not like I'll be worried to death, but I will keep my eyes open for anything that might want to eat me.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I feel relatively safe, just not completely safe. it's not like I'll be worried to death, but I will keep my eyes open for anything that might want to eat me.
Yep, that's called "situational awareness." I could no more stop it when I'm in wilderness than I could voluntarily stop breathing...

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
Has anyone watched the show on History called Alone? The first and second seasons take place on Vancouver Island which is supposed to have the largest concentration of cougars in North America.

People are dropped off there with just camera equipment and some survival gear (they get to pick 10 items). A few of them were sewing eyes onto the back of their hats which is rumored to make a cougar think twice about jumping on your back.

I've only recently gotten into that show but really enjoyed it.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Has anyone watched the show on History called Alone? The first and second seasons take place on Vancouver Island which is supposed to have the largest concentration of cougars in North America.

People are dropped off there with just camera equipment and some survival gear (they get to pick 10 items). A few of them were sewing eyes onto the back of their hats which is rumored to make a cougar think twice about jumping on your back.

I've only recently gotten into that show but really enjoyed it.
Bangla Desh fishermen tried something similar with tigers, wearing a human-looking face on the back of their heads. It worked, but only for a while until the tigers caught on. I haven't watched that show, so I don't know how long they are on the island...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Bangla Desh fishermen tried something similar with tigers, wearing a human-looking face on the back of their heads. It worked, but only for a while until the tigers caught on. I haven't watched that show, so I don't know how long they are on the island...
OTOH, if they run a new crew in every week or two and they all use the eye trick, then the cougars would also catch on...

MattinBama

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2007
They were basically out there until only one person was left (they could tap out using a satellite phone), so anywhere from one day to months normally. I've only seen a few of them using the eye thing.

The third season is being filmed in Patagonia I believe.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
They were basically out there until only one person was left (they could tap out using a satellite phone), so anywhere from one day to months normally. I've only seen a few of them using the eye thing.

The third season is being filmed in Patagonia I believe.
Patagonia has cougars also... :)

Go Bama

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
16outa17essee
There was a picture of a mountain lion in our local newspaper, the Milan Mirror-Exchange, earlier this year. I live in Gibson county Tennessee. The photo was taken with a camera trap. I've thought about putting one in my back yard. There are woods and wildlife all around.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
There was a picture of a mountain lion in our local newspaper, the Milan Mirror-Exchange, earlier this year. I live in Gibson county Tennessee. The photo was taken with a camera trap. I've thought about putting one in my back yard. There are woods and wildlife all around.
It's a constant fight with my wife, pro and con game camera. I want one; she doesn't. Yesterday, I was standing talking to my USPS carrier about placing a new mailbox and two almost-grown deer ran through the yard, if you can call 3 acres of woods "yard." He said "Does that happen every day/" I said "Pretty much." About a month ago, friends took a pic of a deer skeleton over the state park a couple of blocks away. All the ribs had been cleanly snapped off the spine. There are only four animals in North America which can do that and three of them have ranges far away from here...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.