Five reasons Bama won't Win the SEC

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
Alabama has won four national championships under Saban, and there are no signs of slowing down. Or are there? Because while the Crimson Tide are the defending national champions, and were ranked No. 1 in Thursday's first coaches poll, there are genuine signs for concern heading into 2016.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...ason-preview-sec-preseason-predictions-080516

I don't fault the 'problems' he found in repeating but I do wonder why he didn't give us which team would win the SEC? He knows Bama won't but he don't know who will. Strange.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Watch for the follow-up article: Twenty-two Reasons that Alabama Will Win the SEC

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
If you're betting "Alabama or the field," you bet the field because the Tide has won the last two and no team has won three in a row since the Spurrier-era Gators. But articles like this are why I want to strangle so many pundits.

1) Fourth QB in four years.

Sounds good except for the parts he doesn't bother to mention. First, Alabama has won THREE SEC titles with a FIRST-YEAR QB and the one who didn't win it his first year only won a NATIONAL title, so yeah, I guess he's right. Also, did you realize that in the four years we've had a RETURNING starting QB we have NOT won the SEC three times and the fourth time was McCarron winning in 12 after NOT winning it in 11.

In other words, a returning QB (using this logic) means we lose the SEC (Wilson/McElroy/McCarron).

2) Breaking in a new center

Weren't we breaking in an nearly new offensive line in 2013? That team didn't win it all, but it wasn't the O-lines fault by the end of the year.

3) No Derrick Henry

Last year we got ripped for giving one guy the ball too often and now he's gone so.....we get ripped because he's gone. Well, Henry wasn't even a Hesiman contender until that incredible drive against LSU, and then he was money in the bank. Besides, I don't recall the other QBs having near the developing receiving corps that we had by the end of the year.

Remember when the loss of Amari Cooper meant we had no shot in 2015? yeah, me neither.

4) Defensive coaching staff turnover

I'd have to look, but I don't think Saban has had the entire top to bottom coaching staff for two straight years ever. Saban couldn't win without Will Muschamp, remember that? While I think the loss of Kirby is bigger than, say, when we lost McElwain or Nussmeier, the fact is that Saban is still the head honcho there.

5) Challenging schedule

I'm using Sagarin.

So let's see. Alabama was 10-1 against Top 30 teams last year, so we must not have played anyone. In 2014, we had the SECOND toughest schedule and went 12-2 and won the SEC. In 2013, we actually had the 39th ranked schedule for the year and went 11-2 and DID NOT win the SEC. In 2012, we had the 19th ranked schedule and won it all. In 2011, we had the number 15 schedule and won it all but lost the SEC.

Yeah, he has a point, not.

But here's what really gets me - BAD arguments like the following:

a) Even if 'Bama gets by that first game against USC (not a given, with all the talent the Trojans are returning) there are still tough games all over the schedule

What does this have to do AT ALL with winning the SEC? Unless I'm missing something, USC is a NON-CONFERENCE game that really has no bearing at all on the SEC title.

But here's the one that REALLY ticks me:

b) Just two weeks after playing USC, there is an SEC opener at Ole Miss, a team that has beaten the Crimson Tide the last two years.

So he spends the article telling us we're not the same team and replacing a bunch but then he brings in the Ole Miss team that beat us that IS NOT THE SAME TEAM!!!! (Yeah, makes sense to a moron maybe).

c) The matchup with the Vols comes just one week after a visit to face the physical Arkansas Razorbacks.

Well, last year there was the ROAD game against perennial underachiever Georgia followed by a home game against Arky and then a ROAD game against another QB who was going to eat us like pork sausage and pass us and whom we killed in College Station and then we faced the Vols, who had a week off.

Should I point out that Tennessee's record against Alabama without having an off week while Alabama is slugging it out is less than stellar?

Besides, Tennessee faces Alabama after three straight games against Florida, Georgia on the road, ATM on the road, too. Whatever team they have left will get to face 'the red team' as they call us.

And as far as LSU, well, LSU has been going to beat Alabama in 2012, 2013, and had us a sneeze from defeat in 2014, and had the greatest running back since Bo Jackson........and they're still 0-5 in the last five games against Alabama.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Well, from a journalistic stand point this writer or any writer has two choices.
He can write, "Bama To Win It All Again", which angers about a hundred or so fan bases, or he can write, "Bama Run To Finally End", which makes one fan base (Us) unhappy, but makes all the rest very happy, and gives them hope.
Therefore, they like the journalist and keep reading him which sells more advertising, which, in the end, is what it's all about anyway.
Columns, articles or broadcasts that doom Bama don't really bother me. They're actually funny most of the time.
I youtube Cowherd's "End of the Dynasty" bit about once a week for a good laugh. In retrospect it was like a complete buffoon taking a megaphone and screaming, "I am an idiot!"
But seriously, the only writers that should support Bama 100% are the beat writers like Cecil, and even he uses incredible objectivity.
It's all what makes the game great.
RTR!

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
Well, from a journalistic stand point this writer or any writer has two choices.
He can write, "Bama To Win It All Again", which angers about a hundred or so fan bases, or he can write, "Bama Run To Finally End", which makes one fan base (Us) unhappy, but makes all the rest very happy, and gives them hope.
Therefore, they like the journalist and keep reading him which sells more advertising, which, in the end, is what it's all about anyway.
Columns, articles or broadcasts that doom Bama don't really bother me. They're actually funny most of the time.
I youtube Cowherd's "End of the Dynasty" bit about once a week for a good laugh. In retrospect it was like a complete buffoon taking a megaphone and screaming, "I am an idiot!"
But seriously, the only writers that should support Bama 100% are the beat writers like Cecil, and even he uses incredible objectivity.
It's all what makes the game great.
RTR!
Spot on! I have learned to take all these haters/writers with a grain of salt. Read and laugh...that's about all you can do.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I think reason 1 and 2 are pretty legitimate concerns.

Saban hired well as always but sometimes there is a feeling out process with the players and staff when things change. This stuff can smooth out over the season or take a full year...it may go off seamlessly like it often has under Saban. Always a wait and see situation.

The schedule is brutal. Probably our toughest schedule since 2010 if everyone is at or around their expectations.

I disagree with the analysis of the tailback situation. We have always mainly focused on two guys at tailback. Our two guys were Henry and Drake in 2015. Drake had an up and down year. By the time he solidified, he got hurt. It was pretty late when it came to getting Scarbough involved. Henry was able to take the big load with ease. Harris was trusted enough to be a kick returner as a true freshman. 2015 was just a weird year for tailback. We had a guy who did better with more carries and Drake was struggling a bit as a pure tailback at times. I think we're actually pretty well off if no one gets injured. Emmons is going to contribute as a true freshman. Harris has had a good off-season. Scarbough may be the starter.

BamaInBham

All-American
Feb 14, 2007
I didn't click, but did Clay Travis write the article?
Simply wishing and hoping. Anything to say or do to distract himself and anyone else from having to think and talk about Bama/Saban's unparalleled run. He and a number of others hate that a "dumb, backwards, racist" fanbase's program is dominating college football like no one ever has before. And there's no end in sight. Especially galling to a UT fan - and he is big time.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.