College football's oldest sellout may be in peril

Redwood Forrest

Hall of Fame
Sep 19, 2003
Boaz, AL USA
In May, a Nebraska fundraiser told the Associated Press the streak almost ended last year on three different occasions. Jack Pierce said he had to call "friends of the program" to buy up tickets that had been returned by the opponent.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ntial-end-of-program-defining-sellout-streak/

"When is a game sold out?" he said. "There is so much subjectivity there. Every AD has six tickets in his pocket. Is that a sellout? That's why I haven't ever really focused on it."

This is interesting. But it seems most things concerning College Football are done in secret, smoke filled back rooms. For example, try to find when (or if) Texas A&M paid off Fran's buyout. You will hit a brick wall. I doubt if even the IRS knows. So, the streak never has to end. All Nebraska has to do is say they sold out. The Actual attendance is a secret anyway.

In fact I would bet it has already ended and we just don't know it.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
In May, a Nebraska fundraiser told the Associated Press the streak almost ended last year on three different occasions. Jack Pierce said he had to call "friends of the program" to buy up tickets that had been returned by the opponent.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-fo...ntial-end-of-program-defining-sellout-streak/

"When is a game sold out?" he said. "There is so much subjectivity there. Every AD has six tickets in his pocket. Is that a sellout? That's why I haven't ever really focused on it."

This is interesting. But it seems most things concerning College Football are done in secret, smoke filled back rooms. For example, try to find when (or if) Texas A&M paid off Fran's buyout. You will hit a brick wall. I doubt if even the IRS knows. So, the streak never has to end. All Nebraska has to do is say they sold out. The Actual attendance is a secret anyway.

In fact I would bet it has already ended and we just don't know it.
It's kind of like the last time Tennessee "expanded" their stadium. All they had to do was start counting everything that walked, crawled, flew or swam within 100 yards of Neyland.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
The NCAA has a never enforced rule that you have to maintain 15,000 attendance to stay in the FBS. Schools get very creative how they count to have an "official" 15,000.

They count stadium workers, vendors, band and just about everyone but the players. One MAC school sells a ton of tickets to Pepsi for a very low price in exchange for pouring rights at the stadium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I've always loved watching 'Husker Football & always have had a great deal of respect their fans as well..Watching 'Husker Football since the end of the Osborne Era has been like watching a slowwwww train wreck that just will never end..That "Sea Of Red" has been from butt whipping their football program has been taken since Osborne's retirement..

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.